Pattaya: Locals sell their houses after being driven away by trash

webfact

17 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yes, I post them. My photo. 

Is raining now. I lazy to get new one.

do one for you now ok.....with name for you sir.

I doubt I could point my camera anywhere around Pattaya and get a shot with no trash in it... maybe in my garden and that would have to be selective, got a Thai wife and she just don't get it. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the real and undisputed Thailand, look around, you don't even need glasses to see and smell this <deleted>!
And if I think that the current government is constantly promising to improve, I'm afraid, what does it mean to improve, more garbage ???

14 hours ago, Parsve said:

I do not realy understand what you mean. Non local Thai living in Pattaya? I am pretty sure you are wrong there.

I wrong? Did you read the last sentence the link? Or not.

before argue with me, please read it. 

14 hours ago, Parsve said:

And what do you mean by that anyway. The only way to read what you write is that Pattaya local people are better than other. So where does that place you then? And yes Pattaya is very much a dirty place , but that is because the municipality not do there work. Youi not seem to understand that part. If it was not the municipalitys responsibility why should they have trucks collecting trach, even if they do it to seldom. Why should they have pipelines to take away water when flooding and so on. Sorry to say, but you absolutely no nothing about what you are talking about.

Sorry to say, you not read the link, but want argue about that with me. 

Another one. Like to argue. Sometime should stop talk and LISTEN (or read)

10 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

If you could control them then I'm sure Thailand would be a much better place. BTW and you do have very good English , so please don't take it the wrong way you might find grammarly useful. I know I do and I've been learning English for nearly 60 years now !

https://www.grammarly.com/

If I control them I get the jail people to clean.

and if throw rubbish, you go to jail.

Thankyou for link.

13 hours ago, peterb17 said:

We live in one of the most divisive countries in terms of income - perhaps you did not read my sarcasm and just pure shock that you sell your recycling.

Every day you can see sometimes very elderly people trying to scrape a living searching bins - I stop - have a chat and give them money.

instead of giving - you sell- I have no words- I’m just astounded 

Actually I don't sell them. They give me the money without asking.

I will give you some words if you wish. The guy is in his 40s, has his wife and 2 kids with him usually. He has a full time job and collecting salvage is what he used to do and now we are lucky to see him once a month.

Some more words for you to think on. If he gives us money then he is getting a lot more for the salvage than he gives us. Some of the salvage guys drive around in old pickup trucks and some use samlors.

3 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

In my village garbage is faithfully collected twice weekly.  Now if the populace only knew how to utilize the garbage bins - perhaps that could be a school project - assign one class each day to patrol the streets, pick up the garbage and place it in the bins where it should be.  Maybe by doing this the children would learn that it is easier to use the bins than it is to walk the streets picking up garbage.  Perhaps the kids could even educate their parents!

Children are the place to start to teach people and, yes they may be able to teach their parents in a lot of families, but I suspect not the majority.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Children are the place to start to teach people and, yes they may be able to teach their parents in a lot of families, but I suspect not the majority.

Children have already an education to the ecology at school

i have seen the books and there is an intersting part about the garbage also.

But for them it's just theory, and school stuff, most of the time they see everybody just

dumb garbage everywhere, and most of the child do just the same as they see all people do

it on a daily basis.

And in Thailand there is 0 chance for the child to teach the parents

since it's a strict pyramidal very traditional society and it's just unthinkable for someone here

to teach something to an older people, particularly if they are your parents.

Locals sell their houses after being driven away by trash

Something fishy about this story. If every house pay the garbage collecting fee to City Hall I don't see any reason why they not collect.

On the other hand I know from experience in my village that thai families have a tendency to "forget" to pay the bill.

A meeting @ City Hall could solve this problem. 

22 hours ago, Jen65 said:

Thailand and in particular Pattaya just has not got a grip on the environment , pollution and waste !!  It is not just the garbage collection companies problem but mostly the the people who just dump their garbage any old how without a care in the world and have no sense of responsibility .   Until the authorities get tough with fly tippers and introduce proper garbage disposal sites like europe where people "are made" to sort and dispose of garbage properly ( with heavy fines for those who don't ) then the situation will never change !! It was suggested to our Condo management ages ago to introduce separate bins for garabage but it just went on deaf ears and it is not the the farangs ( who do seem to be more educated and environmentally aware ) but the Thais who just chuck anything and everything in the bin -not even in a sealed plastic bags ! House owners moving out ????  mmmm I am thinking of moving out - out of Thailand ! Come on Pattaya - get a grip on the environment !!!

Fly tipping is that anything like cow tipping lol ????

19 hours ago, peterb17 said:

We live in one of the most divisive countries in terms of income - perhaps you did not read my sarcasm and just pure shock that you sell your recycling.

Every day you can see sometimes very elderly people trying to scrape a living searching bins - I stop - have a chat and give them money.

instead of giving - you sell- I have no words- I’m just astounded 

What's wrong with selling who ever is buying is getting more at the recycling center and the center is also making money

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

My wife is 43 and recalls plenty of save the world campaigns throughout school. They just don't care.

But in fairness why should poor people without hope and especially without even hope for their children care about your pretty world? People need a stake in the game. Thailand was ok with lower populations, far fewer tourists and no plastics. The only way to escape this now is high rise condos and gated communities. Thailand is broken. Bangkok city streets are an unsanitary mess.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:13 AM, Assurancetourix said:

We had the same experience a few weeks ago;
it has lasted a day! :crazy:
The next day the plastic bags are returned to the crates and yesterday, doing some shopping at the Lotus Sawang Daen Din, still plastic bags ...:crying:

The same here in our local Tesco-Lotus Express shop 2 or 3 months ago - paper bags for one day then back to plastic.

2 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

The same here in our local Tesco-Lotus Express shop 2 or 3 months ago - paper bags for one day then back to plastic.

the Big C shop have now a green lane where they don't give plastic bags

in fact they do not give bags at all. It's good if you want to go quick because 

most of the time there is nobody at these lanes, except me (I take my own bag with me)

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that the local residents seem to think they live in a "neighborhood".

Not so.

The correct terms for this type of community are either a "ghetto" or a "slum".

Once the definitions are out of the way, the problem makes perfect sense. ????

Archived