How can you afford to live in Thailand?

Eye4you

5 hours ago, SteveK said:

The problem with farang women is that one who is above 6 out of 10 knows it. They won't speak to anyone who doesn't look like Brad Pitt. Oriental women are slimmer, prettier, know how to treat a man properly and aren't up themselves. When was the last time a farang woman cut your toenails?

The thing is ............. have you seen any of these so called 6/10 without their makeup???

Women smell and they are ugly - FACT. ????

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Seen some high numbers before, yet was "only" $1500 a week ($6000 a month)

You have now moved into the #1 position in my book 

Believe at 230,000 baht a month, to save "face" you should "employ" 3 consorts as well :clap2:

Not really difficult as you can see. But I am not complaining as I managed to remain not too far from the lifestyle I have when working in Geneva and making 17000 to 18000 USD a month. We don't have a mortgage and I bought my car cash.

And BTW comments will be ignored, just try to accept the facts.

image.png.e0265f50df15c225ae2398b39a688f75.png

10 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Not really difficult as you can see. But I am not complaining as I managed to remain not too far from the lifestyle I have when working in Geneva and making 17000 to 18000 USD a month. We don't have a mortgage and I bought my car cash.

You spend 3 times more on wine than gasoline! 

No wonder the oil industry is struggling.

Did you miss out a zero in schooling?

Our budgets are somewhat similar, except you dress nicer.

14 hours ago, Mac98 said:

Figures: My monthly SS (no savings, divorce in USA took that) is 63,500B. My standing debts are 24,000B per month, leaving 39,500B for everything else. With that I lease a furnished ocean-view condo, 1 bdrm, 2 bath, 2 balconies, with pool for 8,500B a month. Quiet neighborhood on Pattaya hill. Before that I rented a 4-bedroom furnished house outside Chiang Mai for 5,000B a month. Wifi is free with the condo (good enough for my Kindle). Electric 850B, water 150B, phone 100B. Prescriptions 3500B. That leaves 25,000B for food, transportation, clothing, massages, DVDs, pipe tobacco, a few nights out with visitors from home and date nights with local girlfriends. When my debts are paid I will be living on easy street, even at 25B to the dollar.

What are you doing about medical?  Are you over 50 and on an OA or O with extensions?  Might want to keep your eye open for possible changes

14 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Won't work if a family comes into the picture, with two kids I am struggling on 7800 USD a month. We are all different, but without my family this is the last place I'd stay for retirement.

There will not be a family in the picture, at least not for me.  As for retiring there, well, the initial allure has faded measurably and I am now looking at just 6 months out of each year via two 60 day SETVs each with a 30 day extension, and I probably would not do those consecutively but would have a 3 or 4 month break between each one as I return to the States where I have plenty of interests and things to do.  .  Easy to avoid the 90 day reporting. 

For my wife and I, we decided to sacrifice a large part of our middle years to save and invest. 

Our main investments generate about 3% on the principal which equals about 400,000 Baht per month in interest income. 

My wife has a couple other local investments here in Thailand like property and land that generate additional income. 

If we decided to draw on the principal, we'd have an additional 8 million Baht a year for 30 years to spend. However, no need. 

We also decided to do our best to live healthy lives and avoid lifestyle diseases. We effectively don't drink or very little at our age, eat healthy, exercise generally take care of ourselves. 

This type of sacrifice is not for everyone but it pays handsomely in later years. 

Neither of us ever has to worry about money again for the next 30 years, work only when we want to and tell people to 'get lost' if we get the urge. 

11 hours ago, Momofarang said:

A bit sarcastic, excuse me. Obviously being single and retired in jomtien is a far different cost and lifestyle than raising a family and having a wife in Bangkok. 

I have mentioned before there are many different situations of people "living in thailand" no 2 are alike.  Peace ✌????️

Remember just one or two years ago these type of posts would be full of guys living on 7/8000 baht a month and bragging about it? Riding 3rd class trains sticking their head out the window for a/c, and if you spent even 100k per month and mentioned it you would be ridiculed!  How times have changed in 24 months. For the better. 

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It wouldn't work as many of the expats posting here seem to have no idea how to control their spending, live in homes with air-con on 24/7 and eat/drink only imported food cooked in restaurants and bars owned/run by white foreign men. Married to gold-diggers charging a large commission on every household item they buy or arrange to buy.

I'm cooking myself roast pork and baked potato for lunch with onion gravy and fried mushrooms.

Cost about 30bht (pork was 1/2 price 15bht, large potato 8bht, 5bht of mushrooms)

dinner.jpg

Looks more like a bowl of beef soup with clinically "disected" potato and some half garlic cloves. Can't see the wedge of butter in the spud either and where are the grains of pepper that the gravy so desperately needs? Otherwise, looks very Brit man too!!

21 hours ago, madmen said:

You must be joking . The OZ dollar is getting smashed into oblivion and headed for 15 baht  ! Your income is according to you is at a 7% return in oz. once the oz government taxes that and Then it gets smashed on the exchange rate here you would have <deleted> all left..Your investment strategy is woeful and yet you still claim and amazing lifestyle which is just nonsense

Quality accommodation in a desirable  location in a city here is not that cheap certainly not a 1/4 price but when expats here say its cheap thats because its a 4k mouldy fan room..more money for beer and girls for oz and UK pensioners I guess

Utter rubbish .

A normal Super plan ( even non Australian ) is paying 7%  and  many in Aus , like mine , is nearer 9%.

And if you are over 60 its all tax free ( in Aus anyway).

The X rate is not good , and you reveal nothing by pointing that out ... most  know that.

But rents here ARE cheap.

And if you find the right landlord , the rents stay the same year in , year out.

I rent a home in Phuket on the 'expensive' West Coast  and close to a nice  beach , and the rent ( 120 sq metres )  has been 12k a month since 2011 .

Nice fully furnished home , tastefully done.

The rent includes good water , cable and fast internet.

The landlords constantly maintain as well.

Yes , the rent was about $110 aud a week  at the start , and x rates have made rent nearer $150 a week .

But rents here ARE  easily a quarter of those in Aus ...my power bill is  also a quarter.

And on road costs for my car  are a third , and services are a third.

And running a  nice scooter on the smell of an oily rag keeps the kms , and wear and tear  on the car  way down.

In fact one of the only downers of living here  is reading posts from Yobbos full of superlatives from my own country!

The same bogans who have the hide to call Poms "whingers" , just go on and on...

They make what they think is possible , the basis for their never ending argument slash moan.

So Thailands way too expensive because you predict its  currency is "headed for 15 baht" huh ? 555

So its too expensive now , based on what it COULD be in your prediction of the future ? You're kiddin..

And all Expats ( except for yourself )  , live in  "4k moldy fan rooms" hey ?

Tiresome drongo rubbish...

17 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I pay 1,500 but only have AC in main bedroom.

i pay 400 thb per month for power...

dont need aircond, its unhealthy...

i have high level corner unit condo, near beach on pratumnak hill...get good breeze 90% of the time, use fan if no breeze.. the tv is only on 3-3hrs and lights same-each night.

On 11/4/2019 at 4:22 AM, Eye4you said:

Understand Thailand is an affordable living compare to developed countries, but there still are living expenses to pay. 

I am genuinely curious. Please enlighten me.

Depending of life-style, Thais can survive for less than 10,000 baht a month. If you live very Thai-style, you can stay here for almost nothing. If you upgrade to more Western life-style you often stay here cheaper, than similar life-style in your home-country. We are numerous "financial migrants" living in Thiland...????

Personally I have a budget of 900,000 baht for three – girlfriend, mutual child, and me – which includes international school fees, and car, and household expenses, and insurances, and living costs. I however own my house here, and the family has no debt. 900k baht equals about $30,000; so the questions is: What kind of life-style can you have for equivalent to $30,000 in your home-country, and especially at a similar location?

I would need the double, might even be three times as much a year, to have a similar life-style in my home country...????

7 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Neither of us ever has to worry about money again for the next 30 years, work only when we want to and tell people to 'get lost' if we get the urge. 

So ............... will you be telling your local immigration officer to do likewise? ????

On 11/4/2019 at 4:35 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I know of a couple of teachers (unqualified) who are employed by schools to teach English and they do all the Visa renewals for them. Those guys are on about 30,000-40,000 a month, and as single guys, they can afford to live here on that.

As for me with a family of 6, I generally need between 60,000 to 100,000 a month, derived from some consultancy work every now and again, interest from banks and investments in the share market.

The above said it was the latter amount for the past year of which it cost me about 11,500 baht per month to live here after all income earned and taxes were paid where required, so it is cheaper to live here than developed countries I agree.

True, so many farang want visits, come or stay in Thailand on ED Visa basis, moust of them from USA, GB, my impression is the don't accept Thai Visa rules, don't have enough money for food and accommodation and use any fake job qualification for passing Thai immigration under the table, after Overstay until Thai police catch them and send them back to homeland.

The secret is having a sustainable and sensible long term plan that deals with changes in exchange rate etc. Don’t spend beyond you’re means , and keep your plan current as things change. 
Make sure it includes everything you will need.

Depending on where / how you live will have a big impact on your budget.

Cheap rental accom.  Cheap rental pussy. Cheap whiskey. Cheap food. Cheap massages. Warm weather. Warm people. Relaxed lifestyle. Thai girls 1 million % more beautiful than the fat bi+ches back home. 

Sux to be living in Farangland. Life’s too short for that sh*t. 

On 11/4/2019 at 10:41 AM, Lacessit said:

Cost of living. Renting an apartment here is one-quarter of the cost of a comparable apartment in Australia.

They come fully furnished as well, which would be the exception in Oz.

Provided one is content to subsist on Thai food solely, it's very inexpensive. Or one can buy fruit and vegetables in the markets very cheaply.

I average about 60,000 baht/month in expenditure. In Australia, that might be the rent alone for one of the bigger houses.

The last few years have seen big blows for Thai expats.

Nearly all currencies are down +/- 30% (against the baht)

and nearly everything in Thailand has gone up or had heavier GST tax aplied.

Renting in the suburbs might be cheap, but often the quality and age of the buildings reflect that cheap cost, and  who really wants to live that far away from the action anyway?

Even at best, what you are getting in terms of actual floorspace is equivalent to a hired room in a sharehouse in Australia at not much cheaper.

And the electric is nearly as dear as Aus also if you like aircon.

Add on to that, the cost of wine, and western foods (like cheese and Salami)..

flights to and fro...

visa costs, border runs, (pain in the สrse ever changing visa regulations)

id say your nearly better off back home.

Many of our own ecomomies are stagnating with little or no inflation, so things are actually getting cheaper as household debt is up and people arent buying, so some goods are actually costing less.

If people are considering a move to Thailand just because they think its a cheaper cost of living....

Nah, id suggest think again.

Thailand used to be good 5 years ago, but not any more.

At 53, I'm 75 months from my final salary pension kicking in (though I could take it at 55) so funds to live in Thailand will come from a combination of renting my UK house out, dividend income from my share portfolio & savings that I have in the bank.

Should be enough (I don't need that much) but always have the option of taking up 3-6 month consulting jobs if I need to top it up.

Formally quit my job today, so it had better be enough!!! 

Easily. It is still very cheap for day to day living, although I agree certain things have been steadily increasing. Having a night on the beers is probably more here than in England. 

However, I earn more than what I was earning in England, and with the added benefits that come with my job that I wouldn't get there it makes it very easy. 

2 hours ago, pookondee said:

The last few years have seen big blows for Thai expats.

Nearly all currencies are down +/- 30% (against the baht)

and nearly everything in Thailand has gone up or had heavier GST tax aplied.

Renting in the suburbs might be cheap, but often the quality and age of the buildings reflect that cheap cost, and  who really wants to live that far away from the action anyway?

Even at best, what you are getting in terms of actual floorspace is equivalent to a hired room in a sharehouse in Australia at not much cheaper.

And the electric is nearly as dear as Aus also if you like aircon.

Add on to that, the cost of wine, and western foods (like cheese and Salami)..

flights to and fro...

visa costs, border runs, (pain in the สrse ever changing visa regulations)

id say your nearly better off back home.

Many of our own ecomomies are stagnating with little or no inflation, so things are actually getting cheaper as household debt is up and people arent buying, so some goods are actually costing less.

If people are considering a move to Thailand just because they think its a cheaper cost of living....

Nah, id suggest think again.

Thailand used to be good 5 years ago, but not any more.

Plenty of 10k baht  apartments in small town OZ. Chuck in free medicare and nearly free meds on PBS and Australia is a standout for repatriation..oh and the cheese and wine and deli foods yum!

But posters from oz try to justify staying here because of the amazing thai food and  national dishes like 300 grams of boiled rice with a fried egg on top in fish sauce is only 40 baht lol

26 minutes ago, madmen said:

Plenty of 10k baht  apartments in small town OZ. Chuck in free medicare and nearly free meds on PBS and Australia is a standout for repatriation..oh and the cheese and wine and deli foods yum!

But posters from oz try to justify staying here because of the amazing thai food and  national dishes like 300 grams of boiled rice with a fried egg on top in fish sauce is only 40 baht lol

Another BS post.

You forgot to mention the COLD and how much your heating bill is  back there as compared to none here.

In small town Oz theres lotsa 'friendly' fat chicks that you can get your head punched in for just chatting to.

"cheese wine and deli foods" mean you indulge too much and NEED free medicare.

So why are you still here anyway ??

Do tell ...

3 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Another BS post.

You forgot to mention the COLD and how much your heating bill is  back there as compared to none here.

In small town Oz theres lotsa 'friendly' fat chicks that you can get your head punched in for just chatting to.

Do tell ...

Qld and the tropical west coast are not cold . Fat chicks? try beach babes.  since when has wine cheese and salami been a health hazard? try researching Keto food and they are perfectly acceptable or are you loving cheap sugar coated msg enhanced boiled rice with slivers of meat to much ,..keep that up and you will need a 100k baht a year health insurance policy that you cant afford on your 35k a month pension

Im heading back to oz for 2 years now I have my lower sukhumvit condo rented out

I miss anything? I will be back

14 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Another BS post.

Do tell ...

COLD...what cold? Our place is in North Queensland. We don't have any heating costs. Actually don't own a heater of any description. We do have 'winter' for a few days admittedly where I might have to search for a jumper in the early morning.

For those on a pension a lot of things are heavily subsidised I agree. Not for me though. I didn't understand his 10k apartment comment. Maybe 500 bucks a week but certainly not anywhere I know of for 500 a month. You can rent my place for 450 bucks a week if you like.

Agree with the violence re the fat chicks in some places in some pubs. I have the Thai wife with me when we go to Oz so it's not really an issue for me, besides we live in a fairly remote rural place on 20 acres and when we are there and don't go to pubs much. All up Thailand at the moment is more attractive to me for many reasons. If the baht drops it will be even more attractive. By the way I'm still working on ozzie wages overseas  and visiting the wife at her house every 3 weeks or so for a couple of weeks so the exchange rate isn't a killer in reality. We'll go to Oz for Christmas and then head back to Thailand for at least another year with maybe a trip at Easter.

So to answer the OP's question 'how can you afford to live in Thailand?' My answer is ...….easily.

16 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I didn't understand his 10k apartment comment.

I have friends in Gladstone Qld coast and checked a major website . Plenty of 12k baht a month or just a bit more apartments . Pensioners can knock off another $30 a week in rent assistance

wheres the downside? wine cheese free meds medicare public transport subsidies etc. I know your no pensioner but most of us are

https://www.domain.com.au/rent/gladstone-qld/?price=0-150&enablehorizontalfilters=1

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

I have friends in Gladstone Qld coast and checked a major website . Plenty of 12k a month or just a bit more apartments 

https://www.domain.com.au/rent/gladstone-qld/?price=0-150&enablehorizontalfilters=1

Gladstone is ok...quite nice for an industrial town. Lived there many, many years ago, visited 15 years ago and it had improved a lot.. Don't expect any beach babes though. They do have whale watching tours I believe...555, or maybe that's Hervey bay.

If you are just treading water waiting for a pension or whatever look much further north. Look around places like Ayr, Giru, Innisfail or Tully. All farming areas and not too expensive and if you have 2 arms, 2 legs and a heartbeat you can also probably find a reasonably well paying job in a sugar mill or related job.

Getting off topic I guess but can help you conserve any savings to be able to afford to live in Thailand again eventually.

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

Gladstone is ok...quite nice for an industrial town. Lived there many, many years ago, visited 15 years ago and it had improved a lot.. Don't expect any beach babes though. They do have whale watching tours I believe...555, or maybe that's Hervey bay.

If you are just treading water waiting for a pension or whatever look much further north. Look around places like Ayr, Giru, Innisfail or Tully. All farming areas and not too expensive and if you have 2 arms, 2 legs and a heartbeat you can also probably find a reasonably well paying job in a sugar mill or related job.

Getting off topic I guess but can help you conserve any savings to be able to afford to live in Thailand again eventually.

Yes you are right there are far better places but that was just a quick search . I used to run the sales campaigns for the local new car dealers in Gladstone. i'm already a pensioner but also a landlord in Bangkok and heading back to oz for a hip replacement and a nice long break from 13 years straight in Bangkok

Us lucky pensioners also get a rent subsidy of around $30 a week and subsidised public transport plus quite a few other goodies

Archived