How can you afford to live in Thailand?

Eye4you

13 minutes ago, madmen said:

Yes you are right there are far better places but that was just a quick search . I used to run the sales campaigns for the local new car dealers in Gladstone. i'm already a pensioner but also a landlord in Bangkok and heading back to oz for a hip replacement and a nice long break from 13 years straight in Bangkok

Us lucky pensioners also get a rent subsidy of around $30 a week and subsidised public transport plus quite a few other goodies

So happy my tax dollars are subsidising your life style....5555 no hard feelings. Enjoy mate. Keep the income from Bangkok quiet.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

So happy my tax dollars are subsidising your life style....5555 no hard feelings. Enjoy mate. Keep the income from Bangkok quiet.

Ha ha the condo is fully declared by me through centrelink and is listed under assets and believe it or not I had to sign a special form that allowed them to get the costings through the land department here.

However I dont declare rent obviously but the amount of money I save you homeboys in medicare and meds ,rental assistance is probably about the same so were evens lol

On 11/3/2019 at 9:19 PM, gk10002000 said:

Many don't spend money on any sort of Medical or travel or auto insurance.  No car loan, no car, maybe share a motorbike with another person.  Wardrobe is non existent, shorts and T-shirts, 100 baht flip flops.  Cheap but habitable rooms can be rented, some with air some without air if one is really skimping for < 5,000 baht a month in many parts of Thailand even arguably happening places as Pattaya and not necessarily out in the boondocks.    And if two or more share a place, they can actually be relatively comfortable.  <deleted> struggling to survive lifestyle, with not a lot of potential for growth.  Nothing wrong with a bit of a walk about, or taking some time to experience things.  But really is probably a better option to go home, get a better education, or trade, get some cash flow setup by saving and investing for earnings or dividends, etc.  Take time off a lot to go back to Thailand.  Work life balance.  But to go there like some of those youtubers do, get a few thousand baht a month to eat, well, not promising

It reminds me of this Austrian guy that I met in Khon Kaen. He used to ride a bike and dress like a homeless. I was paying 3 500BHT per month for an apartment and he told me that it was too expensive. He used to spent 80BHT a day for food. I stay there for a month and got my thoughts together. One month is enough here because I don't want to be neighbors with this Austrian guy in the near future.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Qld and the tropical west coast are not cold . Fat chicks? try beach babes.  since when has wine cheese and salami been a health hazard? try researching Keto food and they are perfectly acceptable or are you loving cheap sugar coated msg enhanced boiled rice with slivers of meat to much ,..keep that up and you will need a 100k baht a year health insurance policy that you cant afford on your 35k a month pension

Im heading back to oz for 2 years now I have my lower sukhumvit condo rented out

I miss anything? I will be back

You missed a lot , including your median winter temps at 10.7 degrees , beach boy .

Thats if you can call the mudflats at Yeppoon a beach ...geez..

And beach babes is a total lie.

Anyone worth their salt has gone down to Noosa or out to the islands and you know it.

You are also going back to Aus to consolidate your pension time or you wont get a pension big spender  ,  you have to stay  TWO YEARS ,  a hip job is done and dusted in 2 weeks ... so be honest and stop mocking others while you firm up your draw  from the public purse.

You simply should have shut your mouth and worked harder ...

On 11/4/2019 at 8:15 AM, SteveK said:

The problem with farang women is that one who is above 6 out of 10 knows it. They won't speak to anyone who doesn't look like Brad Pitt. Oriental women are slimmer, prettier, know how to treat a man properly and aren't up themselves. When was the last time a farang woman cut your toenails?

Hey, who told you my Thai girlfriend cuts my toenails? Lol

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

You missed a lot , including your median winter temps at 10.7 degrees , beach boy .

Thats if you can call the mudflats at Yeppoon a beach ...geez..

And beach babes is a total lie.

Anyone worth their salt has gone down to Noosa or out to the islands and you know it.

You are also going back to Aus to consolidate your pension time or you wont get a pension big spender  ,  you have to stay  TWO YEARS ,  a hip job is done and dusted in 2 weeks ... so be honest and stop mocking others while you firm up your draw  from the public purse.

Brilliant!!!

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Ha ha the condo is fully declared by me through centrelink and is listed under assets and believe it or not I had to sign a special form that allowed them to get the costings through the land department here.

However I dont declare rent obviously but the amount of money I save you homeboys in medicare and meds ,rental assistance is probably about the same so were evens lol

You save me nothing. it is all an outgoing.

11 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

ou are also going back to Aus to consolidate your pension time or you wont get a pension big spender  ,  you have to stay  TWO YEARS ,  a hip job is done and dusted in 2 weeks ... so be honest and stop mocking others while you firm up your draw  from the public purse.

Better learn to read. I have a pension , Im going back for a hip replacement. 15 years on the gold coast, warm days and cool nights in winter and Thats where Im headed ,married a beach babe me 29 her 18 when we met but my beach babe days are over but Im still a perv ???? 

I dont need a cheap room in oz I have Thai baht from rent and have a pension...more than enough with FANTASTIC currency exchange. I bought my bangkok condo with cash after selling my marketing company. I worked hard sunshine. What 4k room in nakhon nowhere you are you living in ? ????

2 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

Talking about money is really vulgar.

It is like talking about sex.

If you got it on a daily basis you are just keeping quiet and never barking regarding these essential matters.

If I got it on a daily basis I would be so dehydrated that I probably wouldn't be able to speak anyway.

4 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

If you got it on a daily basis you are just keeping quiet and never barking regarding these essential matters.

Don't think there's many guys over 40 getting it on a daily basis, I was lucky with once a month in the UK.

2x-3x a week is more than enough for this 60 year old.

22 hours ago, pookondee said:

Renting in the suburbs might be cheap, but often the quality and age of the buildings reflect that cheap cost, and  who really wants to live that far away from the action anyway?

Even at best, what you are getting in terms of actual floorspace is equivalent to a hired room in a sharehouse in Australia at not much cheaper.

And the electric is nearly as dear as Aus also if you like aircon.

I'm living 12Km from the centre of Chiang Mai, modern 3 bed house 145m2 (from new) repayments 10,900bht/month. I could barely rent a 2 bed semi in the cheapest part of the UK for that.

Dunno what electric is in Oz, but my electric is around 1,100bht, about 1/4 of my outlay in the UK.

I came to Thailand with 7 million Baht
And a pension of $ 30,000 a year
Owns nothing in Thailand lives on friends and family
but has 10 million in the bank
rent residence in Bangkok 38000k per month
the rest of the funny money ..

On 11/4/2019 at 1:18 PM, BritManToo said:

My advice, turn the air-con off now and again.

why? I didn't say that I was poor, or didn't live comfortably. Perhaps I should drain the swimming pool as well and save on the pump energy?  Or give up my car and ride a motorbike? I didn't come here to live like a native. 

54 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

why? I didn't say that I was poor, or didn't live comfortably. Perhaps I should drain the swimming pool as well and save on the pump energy?  Or give up my car and ride a motorbike? I didn't come here to live like a native. 

How do you cope with the heat when you're out cycling and hiking, or just taking a walk in the park?

Acclimatising to the local environment is important wherever you choose to live.

Otherwise you're liable to turn into a sick old man who never goes outdoors.

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How do you cope with the heat when you're out cycling and hiking, or just taking a walk in the park?

Acclimatising to the local environment is important wherever you choose to live.

The question was not directed at me, but I have worked from -50 C in Siberia to +50 C offshore in Qatar with some hot and humid jungle locations in between. I have always felt perfectly fine, while I have seen others suffering and collapsing, mainly at the top end of the temperature scale.

Acclimatising is a bit of a myth. Some people just cope with warm weather better than others.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I manage very well thanks, I'm just not a masochist.  By your reasoning, presumably, you should not have air-con in the car (ups the petrol costs), or go to air-conditioned restaurants and malls.   

43 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I manage very well thanks, I'm just not a masochist.  By your reasoning, presumably, you should not have air-con in the car (ups the petrol costs), or go to air-conditioned restaurants and malls.   

I don't like cars, much prefer a scooter, cool, I can weave through traffic and park anywhere.

As for in my home, windows are open, temp is 31c @ 60% humidity.

No fan, no sweat, no sticky patches anywhere, I'm completely comfortable sitting here browsing the internet.  

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't like cars, much prefer a scooter, cool, I can weave through traffic and park anywhere.

As for in my home, windows are open, temp is 31c @ 60% humidity.

No fan, no sweat, no sticky patches anywhere, I'm completely comfortable sitting here browsing the internet.  

I too am sitting in my study, windows open and one fan on low, perfectly comfortable.  But for those days when you have had enough of heat and humidity and just want a small taste of home, an air-con set on low so that it brings on goose pimples is just bliss.  It isn't very often, but it's nice to be able to do it when you need to.   

On 11/6/2019 at 1:22 PM, lazygourmet said:

Talking about money is really vulgar.

It is like talking about sex.

No it's not, it's bs that we don't talk more about money. Somehow it's some kind of  problem especially in europe and people get jelous easily.

One of the things i liked better when living in the US, talking about money was no issue and no one got <deleted> that you are doing good. People always had suggestions on how to do better...

They should teach this stuff in school more, the youth and even many of the old have nfi how to handle money, what cashflow is and how to invest and build wealth - it's a shame and it's just because it's somehow has a bad stigma in society. Yet slaving away till 67 to get a pension that can only be considered a scam is encouraged... 

Archived