Compulsory Insurance

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to this topic rather late. Can anyone explain simply when and if it is compulsory to have Health Insurance in Thailand? And if so what level of cover is required?

I'm staying on an extension based on Retirement.

Thanks a lot for any and all useful informaton.

2 minutes ago, orientfan said:

Dear Momofarang and Ubonjoe,

A long-term resident in Jomtien on RV extensions says 'if you have a Cat.O visa you are OK, but if you have an OA visa you need to prove you have insurance.'

Please could you comment? Many thanks

I assume RV extensions means retirement visa. He is actually on annual extensions of stay based on retirement. Not extending a visa. IMO he does not require any insurance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, orientfan said:

A long-term resident in Jomtien on RV extensions says 'if you have a Cat.O visa you are OK, but if you have an OA visa you need to prove you have insurance.'

How can the replies be any clearer ?

• Like 1

As above, it's not required, but IMHO it will be in the future. The 400/40 policies which was going to be required is a good minimal healthcare policy. I bought one for a couple of reasons. 

1. The policies have to be bought before you're 70 years of age. (I'll turn 70 this year)

2. It's a good minimal healthcare policy at a good price. ($1500 USD) I'm saving 2/3 over my previous policy healthcare policy which the premium was rising 10% a year and was going to end when I'm 75 anyway. This new policy will not be cancelled at any age and policy premium increases are minimal. 

I don't like the fact that I have to go to Thai Public hospitals but there are some good ones and should be adequate.

• Like 1

Has anybody on an existing OA (i.e. utilising a current extension of stay) either (1) re-entered the Kingdom since 31st October or (2) applied for an extension since 31st October? I’d like any information regarding the IO’s attitude to the insurance requirement which some members interpret do apply to OA visas, both on issuance and extension.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinot said:

As above, it's not required, but IMHO it will be in the future. The 400/40 policies which was going to be required is a good minimal healthcare policy. I bought one for a couple of reasons. 

1. The policies have to be bought before you're 70 years of age. (I'll turn 70 this year)

2. It's a good minimal healthcare policy at a good price. ($1500 USD) I'm saving 2/3 over my previous policy healthcare policy which the premium was rising 10% a year and was going to end when I'm 75 anyway. This new policy will not be cancelled at any age and policy premium increases are minimal. 

I don't like the fact that I have to go to Thai Public hospitals but there are some good ones and should be adequate.

Thanks for your post.

Hmmm, till now I just dismissed the thai-approved health insurance options as ridiculous since the annual premium is so high that over a period of 4-7 years (depending on your age) you would have paid the maximum coverage they offer.  If you compare with travel insurance - yes, is not same - the premium there is just a tiny fraction of the coverage which is way beyond 400K bath.

Two questions:

1. Was your decision also driven by the present uncertainty whether health insurance would be required when applying for an extension of stay based on original OA Visa. 

2. Can you please share the name of the policy and the health insurance company you selected.  And was this one of the thai-approved companies for 1.

5 hours ago, malt25 said:

How can the replies be any clearer ?

Because the appear wrong !! 

While its new and things are subject to change, it would appear that retirement extensions that come from an initial OA visa generated permission of stay DO require insurance. 

OA-Rules.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pinot said:

What is the basis for your opinion that it will be required in future ?

That’s certainly encouraging; it will be more so if a few more members can report their experiences so a pattern of behaviour by Immigration can be established..

• Like 1

I  called 1178 today the Immigrations hotline and stated that I arrived in Thailand 13 years ago on an O/A visa.  I asked if I would required health insurance when my extension of stay is due.  The gentleman told me yes I will need to show that I have insurance.  So this is different than what Jib was told.

22 hours ago, orientfan said:

Wrong.