Saksayam backs down over mandatory GPS in private vehicles

webfact

Saksayam backs down over mandatory GPS in private vehicles

8.jpg

Thailand’s Ministry of Transport has backed down over plans to mandate that all private cars and motorcycles be equipped with GPS devices, pending further study on real-time connectivity with the database of the Land Transport Department and the costs of that connectivity.

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said today (Monday) that, initially, the installation of GPS systems in private cars and motorcycles will be voluntary and the Land Transport Department has been instructed to conduct a further study into related issues, such as the introduction of code numbers for the privacy of vehicle owners equipped with the proposed GPS system.

He claimed that modern GPS systems could help reduce road accidents by alerting drivers of the safe distance between their cars and the vehicles in front of them, and could prevent car theft while enabling owners to keep track of their vehicles’ location.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/saksayam-backs-down-over-mandatory-gps-in-private-vehicles/

thaipbs.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, webfact said:

He claimed that modern GPS systems could help reduce road accidents by alerting drivers of the safe distance between their cars and the vehicles in front of them, and could prevent car theft while enabling owners to keep track of their vehicles’ location.

And keeping track potential criminals=all people.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He claimed that modern GPS systems could help reduce road accidents by alerting drivers of the safe distance between their cars and the vehicles in front of them

because they refuse to get their faces out of their phones and TV's while behind the wheel and police do nothing to stop them

IMHO, all delivery Companies should have mandatory GPS.  I live up country on a rural dirt road and if I order anything online and it is delivered by anybody but Kerry or Thai Post it's a real [problem.   Over the past 22 years I've had experiences with Kerry, Thai POst, CJGLS, DHL, NINJA, YUSEN and the latest TP LOGISTICS.  I send then emails with GPS coordinates, directions from the nearest main highway junction and a google Map and they still have the driver call when he gets in the area.  I speak a little Thai and the driver usually  speaks no English.  I usually manage to get them to the nearest Temple and meet them there, but if they had GPS all that they would have to do is put in the coordinates and they would get an instant map!

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I dont think Thailand has a big problem with car theft, The best car thieves in the world are in the UK none of the technology stopped them they will always find away round it

Those luxury cars can now be seen in????

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Ministry of Transport has backed down over plans to mandate that all private cars and motorcycles be equipped with GPS devices, pending further study on real-time connectivity with the database of the Land Transport Department and the costs of that connectivity.

That is the last we will hear about this idea for a very loooong time!!!Rightly so

i would think.

"... GPS systems in private cars and motorcycles will be voluntary... "

surely, politicians can start with themselves. not! probably the main reason they backed down is because the very cars they use can be tracked. better traffic monitoring is just a bs excuse. 

1 hour ago, smedly said:

what he is suggesting is possibly a good idea if applied to public transport vehicles only but there needs to be a specific purpose like speed monitoring 

Speed monitoring those Muppet drivers in death vans.

"He claimed that modern GPS systems could help reduce road accidents by alerting drivers of the safe distance between their cars and the vehicles in front of them, and could prevent car theft while enabling owners to keep track of their vehicles’ location."

These systems are already available and widespread. Collision avoidance, lane changing and controlled braking systems are becoming standard options on new vehicles. None of them require or use GPS tracking which does not have the accuracy. They use "Lidar" sensors on the vehicle which has millimeter accuracy. 
GPS tracking has also been around for a long time and is commonly used by fleet owners to keep track of their vehicles and a few owners who may be worried by theft.
There is no reason for making it mandatory unless for some reason the police and govt want to keep track of its citizens.  

The Thai Government always trying to introduce technology (with potential for high commission) rather than telling the police to do their job of enforcement, or funding education of drivers in proper behaviour. I always feel that this is a country with a vacuum of a police force which the Government try and fill with all sorts of rubbish. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said today (Monday) that, initially, the installation of GPS systems in private cars and motorcycles will be voluntary

Did nobody read the article??? He didn't back down. He kicked the can down the road so it can be implemented in the near future. 

2 hours ago, wayned said:

IMHO, all delivery Companies should have mandatory GPS.  I live up country on a rural dirt road and if I order anything online and it is delivered by anybody but Kerry or Thai Post it's a real [problem.   Over the past 22 years I've had experiences with Kerry, Thai POst, CJGLS, DHL, NINJA, YUSEN and the latest TP LOGISTICS.  I send then emails with GPS coordinates, directions from the nearest main highway junction and a google Map and they still have the driver call when he gets in the area.  I speak a little Thai and the driver usually  speaks no English.  I usually manage to get them to the nearest Temple and meet them there, but if they had GPS all that they would have to do is put in the coordinates and they would get an instant map!

No mate, you got the wrong type of GPS, this is a tracker that big brother can track our movements - not a GPS navigator.

i read your post and I sympathize too - Same story, Kerry and the post office are the only people who know my place. I refuse to go and meet other couriers, I just let them spend 2 hours looking for my house. It’s their job to navigate and know where streets are.

Not to mention those conversations that start with “hello” repeated 30 times and then “farang” followed by a nervous laugh that precedes putting the phone down.

anyway .. well off track now. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He claimed that modern GPS systems could help reduce road accidents by alerting drivers of the safe distance between their cars

What happened to the good old days of remembering the braking distance on the back of the Highway Code booklet and reciting “only a fool breaks the two second rule” .. oh yeah, the driving test is a joke here, I forgot. 

3 hours ago, smedly said:

because they refuse to get their faces out of their phones and TV's while behind the wheel and police do nothing to stop them

One of the best systems to let you know you are too close to the vehicle in front is the Mark 1 eyeball, original or assisted.

Archived