Shower Traps. Why are they not used/available here?

banagan

So, in another thread, I was asking about shower drains used here. Turns out, most Thais don't use shower traps. They're not even available in the big box stores... I tried homepro, boonathovorm (or whatever its called), baan and beyond, and some local hardwares, nada, just a plain old drain.

So, why don't they use them? Are they too expensive? Or they don't care about bad smells, bugs etc?

Is there a market for them here?

Or is it like trying to sell proper motorcycle helmets?

You were answered in the other thread and provided links to Homepro page listing a dozen or so.  They are available at any decent home supply center - just be aware they look like a normal drain on shelf but cost about 4 times as much as have a top and bottom donut that provides a water seal so if building on the cheap they may not be used.  

1 hour ago, banagan said:

They're not even available in the big box stores... I tried homepro, boonathovorm (or whatever its called), baan and beyond, and some local hardwares,

It is virtually certain that there was a miscommunication. All the usual places (they are not big box stores, Macro is the only common big box store) Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu etc. All shower traps, as do many independent shops, though they may not have the design you like.

The standard shop workers answer to any item that they don’t know they have or don’t understand is “no have” or “no have in Thailand” 

As an example I was in BigC and asked for their mineral water “no have” was the answer, until I went to the BigC app, to their shop, to the item and showed them that the website showed stock! Then the worker went into the stock room and brought out the 10 X 6 bottles for me. 

So you need to learn how to find what you want, sometimes despite the “assistance” sometimes with the assistance of the staff.

off course YMMV because TIT

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

You must understand that Thai shower / basin /bathwater is different to Western water, therefore they are not used as they unnecessary. ????

we are sensitive to bad smell/odors/bugs it appears Thais are not bothered

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is virtually certain that there was a miscommunication. All the usual places (they are not big box stores, Macro is the only common big box store) Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu etc. All shower traps, as do many independent shops, though they may not have the design you like.

The standard shop workers answer to any item that they don’t know they have or don’t understand is “no have” or “no have in Thailand” 

As an example I was in BigC and asked for their mineral water “no have” was the answer, until I went to the BigC app, to their shop, to the item and showed them that the website showed stock! Then the worker went into the stock room and brought out the 10 X 6 bottles for me. 

So you need to learn how to find what you want, sometimes despite the “assistance” sometimes with the assistance of the staff.

off course YMMV because TIT

I sent them each pictures, so if they have them and use the no have excuse, they're they're extra dumb.

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Have you ever been in a van with foreigners and Thai here?  The smells are not coming from the Thai in my experience.

by foreigners did you meant Indians, Chinese, Russians, Eastern Europe, backpackers..... could be

2 minutes ago, banagan said:

I sent them each pictures, so if they have them and use the no have excuse, they're they're extra dumb.

Pictures sent?  Pictures of what?  Sent to Who?  In most cases firms here do not have an active internet response mindset so normally a visit to shop is going to be required.  And picture if not of the type normally used here may also prove to be an issue.  For drains the below is what a normal smell stopping drain looks like here.

Image result for thailand floor drains

5 minutes ago, banagan said:

If you are trying to get information by email, then good luck with that. While online shopping works answering questions about products by mail is in its infancy.

So the real answer is that you don’t know if they do or don’t have them.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

That is only a top cover - if you do not have the corresponding water holding bottom part in place will not work to keep odors out.  

mine are plastic and have the bottom part holding water but still have the bad odors, could it be because the water dries quite fast, if I pour some water on top it reduces the bad odors

25 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

we are sensitive to bad smell/odors/bugs it appears Thais are not bothered

Not bothered, not in my circle of Thai friends, most can hear and smell a flea farting 100 metres away. They may not say anything, but rest assured they are fully aware of BO and drains smells. 

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The white plastic fits into a donut shape tray of water in the base part so anything in/out has to go below the water line.

Just checked mine and indeed you are correct, there is a receptacle in the drain it sits into.

They are available and used here. Have been for yonks.

This is what they look like, top and inset. Any salesperson who says they don't have them probably doesn't know the inventory of their own hardware store.

IMG20191104185932.jpg

IMG20191104185845.jpg

They are called bell traps, many people dont realise how they work, the water seal is inside the floor drain, not a P or S trap under the floor. Often the bell has been removed or replaced with a non-bell cover and they dont work anymore. I actually caught a cleaning lady removing the bells, "because it gets blocked". You often need to put water back in them if away for a long period or hot weather.

Image result for bell trap

Another important element of a shower drain is it is the type that has two inlets: one at floor level and another below the tiles. Grout, thinset, and mortar in a shower floor are not waterproof so a waterproof shower membrane is installed below them that collects water that gets below the tiles and directs it to the drain. If you don't do this, the shower will leak. On a normal one story Thai house that is a slab on grade this is not a big problem as this water simply dampens the slab and makes its way to the ground. But for a second floor or other scenarios you'll often hear complaints about leaks since these types of drains are so unheard of.

shd.png.e6df02458daff15f6926edecac46897f.png

4 minutes ago, banagan said:

I've had to import a proper shower trap. New wet room being installed, may as well do it right. 

I know the supposed odor blocking cheap ones posted here, useless, had one in my last house. 

The bell water tray units do work and work well.  Have been using for in my home here for 45 years.  The cheapest item shown here was just a top which will not work unless mated with a bottom unit.  Another model was the easily blocked one way valve type.  But the bell drain does work as long as water is in it and an occasional cleaning of hair done.  

On 11/4/2019 at 4:33 PM, Peterw42 said:

They are called bell traps, many people dont realise how they work, the water seal is inside the floor drain, not a P or S trap under the floor. Often the bell has been removed or replaced with a non-bell cover and they dont work anymore. I actually caught a cleaning lady removing the bells, "because it gets blocked". You often need to put water back in them if away for a long period or hot weather.

Image result for bell trap

A useless and crappy  solution for sure...........the only  good  solution is .........

IMAG1022.jpg

On 11/4/2019 at 3:05 PM, Lacessit said:

They are available and used here. Have been for yonks.

This is what they look like, top and inset. Any salesperson who says they don't have them probably doesn't know the inventory of their own hardware store.

IMG20191104185932.jpg

IMG20191104185845.jpg

Jeeeeeeeezus H Chrisssssssssst............ if  thats  yours  you need a  new  maid or Wife

Archived