Shower Traps. Why are they not used/available here?

banagan

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

The bell water tray units do work and work well.  Have been using for in my home here for 45 years.  The cheapest item shown here was just a top which will not work unless mated with a bottom unit.  Another model was the easily blocked one way valve type.  But the bell drain does work as long as water is in it and an occasional cleaning of hair done.  

Very interesting. And all these years I have felt Thais don't have a system for this, but this seems actually simpler and possibly more effective (easy to access and clean) than the ones back home. 

22 hours ago, ross163103 said:

The problem I've seen with the shower drains they use over here is there's not enough water to create the seal when finished with a shower. The low water volume evaporates over time leaving the drain open. The upside is they're easy to clean.

Agreed. I found this problem is mostly with the smaller of the two common sizes of 'bell drain' in Thailand where ambient heat can quickly evaporate the seal in a shower room that's infrequently used; say only 2 or 3 showers a day. My experience is the larger one serves the shower drain purpose much better as the water trap surface and volume is larger and takes longer to evaporate. The small ones are probably best used in smaller wet rooms or toilet cubicles.

There's one in the toilet of a pub I like to use and the new owners complained about the smell. The bell drain cap had been removed and lost by the previous owners so on my recommendation they bought a new one, problem solved. However, the drain smell would return in the morning because the water in the trap had evaporated overnight. The owner advised the staff using the toilet to hit the drain with the bum gun whenever they used the bathroom to keep it topped up. Ideally, they may benefit from fitting the larger bell drain but that requires cutting tiles and resealing.

On 11/5/2019 at 7:38 AM, canopy said:

Another important element of a shower drain is it is the type that has two inlets: one at floor level and another below the tiles. Grout, thinset, and mortar in a shower floor are not waterproof so a waterproof shower membrane is installed below them that collects water that gets below the tiles and directs it to the drain. If you don't do this, the shower will leak. On a normal one story Thai house that is a slab on grade this is not a big problem as this water simply dampens the slab and makes its way to the ground. But for a second floor or other scenarios you'll often hear complaints about leaks since these types of drains are so unheard of.

shd.png.e6df02458daff15f6926edecac46897f.png

This is what I'm worried about... The first lot just tiled a floor with no drain! Would the above picture even compute? I imagine they'll just puts some concrete over a pipe with a drain and tile it.... 

What about a shower enclosure with a shower tray? 

Archived