Trump “snubbed” by ASEAN in its summit with US

webfact

Trump “snubbed” by ASEAN in its summit with US

151.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and other ASEAN representatives at the ASEAN-US summit with US National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien this morning.

The Thai Foreign Ministry has tried to play down what has been seen as a partial boycott by ASEAN countries today of the ASEAN-US summit in which only three of the leaders of the regional grouping were present.

Besides Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha of Thailand, only prime ministers of Laos and Vietnam attended the summit with US President Donald Trump’s National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien while the seven other ASEAN countries were represented by ministerial-level officials.

Kyodo News quoted a US diplomat as expressing US concern with ASEAN’s “intentional effort to embarrass” President Trump by partially boycotting  the summit. “We are extremely concerned by the apparent decision” in relation to the Seventh ASEAN-US Summit, the diplomat quoted a US message to ASEAN as saying, according to Kyodo News.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/trump-snubbed-by-asean-in-its-summit-with-us/

thaipbs.jpg

Why should the leaders of other countries show up to a U.S. organized event that the U.S. leader doesn't bother to attend?

That doesn't strike me as a snub.... but rather, other countries sending officials from their countries of a similar level to those sent by the U.S.

while the seven other ASEAN countries were represented by ministerial-level officials.

Speaking personally, though, I really wish it WAS an actual snub of Trump, because no one deserves it more.

Others might also well say, it was Trump himself who snubbed the other ASEAN countries by deciding to not participate in the summits himself or even send the vice president, and instead sending functionaries.

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

only prime ministers of Laos and Vietnam attended the summit with US President Donald Trump’s National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien

Seems to me that Vietnam is the only country worth bothering with. Tariff the rest of them and restrict US FDI. None of these countries has anything the US needs. Let'em twist in the wind slowly.

33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Why should the leaders of other countries show up to a U.S. organized event that the U.S. leader doesn't bother to attend?

That doesn't strike me as a snub.... but rather, other countries sending officials from their countries of a similar level to those sent by the U.S.

Speaking personally, though, I really wish it WAS an actual snub of Trump, because no one deserves it more.

Others might also well say, it was Trump himself who snubbed the other ASEAN countries by deciding to not participate in the summits himself or even send the vice president, and instead sending functionaries.

It's one thing to acknowledge that Trump is a lowlife cheat and con artist. It's something else to side with dictators, presidents for life, and serial human rights offenders just to score a cheap point against Trump. However bad Trump is, he is nothing compared to Xi and his concentration camps, who ASEAN praised, the Communist dictators in Laos and Cambodia, the genocidal Burmese, the actual murderer in the Philippines, the Singapore dictator, the Thai military government, and the president for life in Malaysia. That is whose side you're on.

33 minutes ago, zydeco said:

It's one thing to acknowledge that Trump is a lowlife cheat and con artist. It's something else to side with dictators, presidents for life, and serial human rights offenders just to score a cheap point against Trump. However bad Trump is, he is nothing compared to Xi and his concentration camps, who ASEAN praised, the Communist dictators in Laos and Cambodia, the genocidal Burmese, the actual murderer in the Philippines, the Singapore dictator, the Thai military government, and the president for life in Malaysia. That is whose side you're on.

The bad news is that Trump is behaving like a dictator and a wannabee royalty. ????

Say what you will these guys will wish they had sided with 100 Trumps when the Chinese show their true colours.

But by then these creeps will have their retirement fortune while their countries are in abject poverty and over run by others.

Summits are for show. Symbolism is important in international relations.

If you don't show up for the show, you don't show and noone will turn up for your show.

The gradual - relative - decline of the US in the Indo-Pacific is in danger of becoming an absolute and irreversible decline.

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

Summits are for show. Symbolism is important in international relations.

If you don't show up for the show, you don't show and noone will turn up for your show.

The gradual - relative - decline of the US in the Indo-Pacific is in danger of becoming an absolute and irreversible decline.

Then all the people on TVF constantly complaining about American imperialism and interference in other countries should be happy, right?

The one thing you can say about the Thais on international policy, over many many years going back to the C19th, is that they're pretty good at playing both ends against the middle and sneaking thru the little gaps ... They even managed to survive 1941-44 as a Japanese flunky and then get invited to San Francisco for the founding of the UN!

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

The one thing you can say about the Thais on international policy, over many many years going back to the C19th, is that they're pretty good at playing both ends against the middle and sneaking thru the little gaps ... They even managed to survive 1941-44 as a Japanese flunky and then get invited to San Francisco for the founding of the UN!

Yes, very good at selling themselves to the highest bidder, whichever way the wind blows. 

Just like the massage girls who - 

Tells you: "I not like Thai man, him boxing me. I like farang, good heart, give many money for take care me."

Tells her Thai boyfriend: "Oi, I hate farang. Him very dumb and 'kii niaow' cheap. I not massage the Farang."

Tells her Chinese customer: "I like man China. Very rich and same same like Thai people. 'Wo ai ni' mean I love you. I not like white man. Them bad heart."

Tells her occasional Indian customer: "I like man India. Very handsome. Dark same same me. Same same Issan lady. I not like white skin. White skin look like lady."  

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

I wasn't siding with or endorsing any of those thuggish governments at all.

I was simply pointing out the flawed reporting in the OP article by referring to the summit presence of the various countries as a "snub" to Trump.

And, more to the point, whether the other countries are thugs or angels, how are they snubbing anyone by sending minister-levels officials to a U.S. summit where the U.S. also is represented only by U.S. officials of the minister-type level?

Trump has been a big bully, that's why the other ASEAN leaders didn't want to meet him or his subordinates.

I heard that he forced some South East Asia nations to close Iranian expats bank account among other complaints

I can understand why Thailand PM must attend because it's held in bangkok but I am surprised why Vietnam and Laos leaders even bother to attend.

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wasn't siding with or endorsing any of those thuggish governments at all.

I was simply pointing out the flawed reporting in the OP article by referring to the summit presence of the various countries as a "snub" to Trump.

And, more to the point, whether the other countries are thugs or angels, how are they snubbing anyone by sending minister-levels officials to a U.S. summit where the U.S. also is represented only by U.S. officials of the minister-type level?

Pardon my jumping in. 

Just a small point.

The USA is MUCH MUCH MUCH more significant, in nearly every imaginable way, than all of ASEAN combined.

So, where it is OK for the USA to send a minister level guy, the ASEAN countries should have their top guys present. 

They are not peers with the USA. 

And with the exception of (tiny) Singapore, the rest of the ASEAN countries are fairly useless, other than to assemble stuff at low labor costs. 

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Nothing burger article, As you send all countries send equal level participants,

This Thread should had be closed after you replied.

6 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Pardon my jumping in. 

Just a small point.

The USA is MUCH MUCH MUCH more significant, in nearly every imaginable way, than all of ASEAN combined.

So, where it is OK for the USA to send a minister level guy, the ASEAN countries should have their top guys present. 

They are not peers with the USA. 

And with the exception of (tiny) Singapore, the rest of the ASEAN countries are fairly useless, other than to assemble stuff at low labor costs. 

That's one way of looking at it... But diplomatic protocol in these kinds of situations typically doesn't apply the Trump foreign policy doctrine of "sh**hole" countries counting for less than their non-"sh**hole" peers.

Just like when Trump wanted Ukraine to try to launch an investigation into the Bidens, it was Trump on the phone to the president of Ukraine ultimately making the request, not some National Security advisor type. President to president confabbing.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's kind of the thing that makes me think, Trump really should have WANTED to be there... Kindred spirits, brothers in arms, etc etc...  :tongue:

Look, I can think of a dozen things that should send Trump to jail. But among them is not outlawing opposition parties, arresting anti-government activists, banning demonstrations of more than five persons, dismissing court rulings that go against you, putting people in camps for attitude adjustment, writing your own constitution, burning down villages of ethnic groups you don't like, etc.  Now, thanks for making me defend that swine, Trump. But he doesn't belong in the same sentence with the list of dictators and human oppressors that supposedly tried to snub him.

30 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I heard that he forced some South East Asia nations to close Iranian expats bank account among other complaints

Ridiculous misunderstanding of the situation. The US cannot force any nation in SE Asia to do anything it doesn't want to. It can, however, decide itself whether to continue doing business with that nation should it prefer to work with Iranians. The US or Iran. Every nation is free to decide. No one is forcing them to do anything. 

12 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Look, I can think of a dozen things that should send Trump to jail. But among them is not outlawing opposition parties, arresting anti-government activists, banning demonstrations of more than five persons, dismissing court rulings that go against you, putting people in camps for attitude adjustment, writing your own constitution, burning down villages of ethnic groups you don't like, etc.  Now, thanks for making me defend that swine, Trump. But he doesn't belong in the same sentence with the list of dictators and human oppressors that supposedly tried to snub him.

Actually, he comes pretty close in a variety of ways:

--wholeheartedly embracing Putin and Kim, who arguably are worse than a lot of the ASEAN leaders.

--ignoring lawful Congressional subpoenas

--ignoring the lawful prohibition against using his position to enrich himself

--holding young immigrant children in Immigration detention centers where they end up dying due to maltreatment.

--publicly labeling opposition lawmakers and whistleblowers who go against him as treasonous traitors.

--encouraging his political rally supporters to attack opponents.

--giving public support to White Nationalists and racists.

etc etc.

7 hours ago, zydeco said:

Seems to me that Vietnam is the only country worth bothering with. Tariff the rest of them and restrict US FDI. None of these countries has anything the US needs. Let'em twist in the wind slowly.

Ah. The VietComs are the good guys now?

This could get interesting. What has Vietnam got that the US needs?

Apart from a 726 mile border with China?

Cant America take its toys and go home? If not, why not?

11 hours ago, BobBKK said:

How can he be 'snubbed' when he wasn't even there?  Farcical 'reporting'.

Trump is so thin-skinned and delusional that most anything could qualify as a "snub". He still acts like a corporate honcho who has unlimited firing ability and zero accountability.

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm quite sure Trump is very distressed about this (sarcasm if you didn't notice). He didn't bother to attend. He's got bigger and better things to do than hang out with this group who are always looking for a handout without doing anything for the US in return. Just a bunch of murdering, thieving thugs that treat their own people like <deleted>.

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Actually, he comes pretty close in a variety of ways:

--wholeheartedly embracing Putin and Kim, who arguably are worse than a lot of the ASEAN leaders.

--ignoring lawful Congressional subpoenas

--ignoring the lawful prohibition against using his position to enrich himself

--holding young immigrant children in Immigration detention centers where they end up dying due to maltreatment.

--publicly labeling opposition lawmakers and whistleblowers who go against him as treasonous traitors.

--encouraging his political rally supporters to attack opponents.

--giving public support to White Nationalists and racists.

etc etc.

1. Not embracing but rather trying to work with.

2. Like many in the Omaba administration did.

3. Not enriching himself. Show proof and not here-say.

4. Their illegal parents put them in that position.

5. The opposite is true as well of the Dems.

6. Never happened but there is a LOT of footage of people like Maxine Waters doing just was you said towards Reps.

7. You are in fantasy land.

etc etc.

Archived