Buying the Best extra virgin olive oil

westbounder

There is no "best" olive oil and of course no "best tasting" olive oil. It depends to a wide degree on your own taste and if you prefer more acidity or less, do you like a fresher bitterness in the oil and the taste of green olives or would you prefer darker flavors of the riper ones? 

Maybe you should start reading on olive oils, their characteristics and then start experimenting yourself. Rimping has a good selection and yet you will find a lot of cheating in the "extra virgin" branded olive oils. Make sure they are certified by a trusted organization.

Many folks have been hoodwinked and duped by bogus foods, including honey which turned out to be 87% white sugar; stuffed pork buns which were made of back-room processed cardboard; red wine highly adulterated with chemicals and containing only 13% grape but 12% alcohol; and very well known super-virginal olive oil, mostly soy bean oil but even the gourmet testers were fooled.

And no olive oil is grown in Thailand so all must be imported, adding to cost and probability of cheating.  I suggest rice bran oil or peanut oil for all your needs, except gear lube.  And, as an aside, i have found coconut oil best for sex lubrication and i will never use that crappy KY jelly stuff again.

I was on the same quest as op and chose a bottle of Extra Virgin cold pressed My Choice-Topps Own Brand, in partnership with Cordon Bleu, it says.  Just opened it and it tastes pretty good to me.

Been suspicious of olive oil since I lived in Spain and learned that they exported more than they produced. Supposedly mixed with greek and other stuff but who knows.

21 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Only about 5% is true olive oil. 

95% be ok for the car.

Choice magazine tested them in Australua last year, look up results.

The figure is much higher than that. 

I wouldn't put it in a car. 

I have never heard of Australua - is it in the south pacific?

Rooster

12 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Many folks have been hoodwinked and duped by bogus foods, including honey which turned out to be 87% white sugar; stuffed pork buns which were made of back-room processed cardboard; red wine highly adulterated with chemicals and containing only 13% grape but 12% alcohol; and very well known super-virginal olive oil, mostly soy bean oil but even the gourmet testers were fooled.

And no olive oil is grown in Thailand so all must be imported, adding to cost and probability of cheating.  I suggest rice bran oil or peanut oil for all your needs, except gear lube.  And, as an aside, i have found coconut oil best for sex lubrication and i will never use that crappy KY jelly stuff again.

Why would the fact that olive oil is imported add to the probability of cheating?

What do you mean by 13% grape? 

And please provide links to pork buns stuffed with cardboard. If you are referring to the news report from China that was debunked as a hoax. 

Rooster

12 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Coconut oil is easier on your bum?

Nice  C&P about the US Market.

However people may recall that this was sold at Makro, now seems to be featured at Tops. It's definitely worth picking up. You can do far worse than Monini. Although yes, virgin, extra virgin?! TIT; This is Thailand.

Best multi-use olive oil
Monini Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Monini Extra Virgin Olive Oil

And just like that, the post is gone. Like the wind, like Kaiser Soze.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:00 PM, beau thai said:

I was on the same quest as op and chose a bottle of Extra Virgin cold pressed My Choice-Topps Own Brand, in partnership with Cordon Bleu, it says.  Just opened it and it tastes pretty good to me.

Been suspicious of olive oil since I lived in Spain and learned that they exported more than they produced. Supposedly mixed with greek and other stuff but who knows.

Spain brings in a lot of olive oil and cheap wine from the Spanish enclaves Ceuta and Melilla in Morocco.  These "Protectorates" are free to buy olive oil and wine from all around the Mediterranean,  then ship it to Spain. Since they are technically a part of Spain, the goods are not "imported" and can be labeled as of Spanish origin.

The French do the same with wine, importing cheap Moroccan, Algerian and Tunisian wine and using it in cheap blended "Vin de Table" or "Vin de Pays".  

It is well known that more than a few famous "Appellation Controlee" wines sold for mega-bucks around the world consist of mostly North African blends. 

Archived