Does Amnuay Silpa only hire teachers from UK?

allencraig

(I did a search and surprisingly found no info here on Amnuay Silpa School.) 

I apologise if this is a silly question, but after doing some research on this "prestigeous" school, I'm left with the strong impression that they are very heavily UK-centric in who they hire. They almost g out of their way to imply that all their teachers are from the UK, although they don't say it outright.

I have absolutely no problem with this at all, but as their application form will take a while to fill out, I'd certainly like to know if it was an unsaid policy to only hire teachers from the UK. (This is putting aside the topic of qualifications of course.)

thanks for any input.

From my experience and perspective yes. As non UK citizen personally I wouldn't bother. My application went nowhere. Besides last jobs I saw posted asked a mountain and paid a molehill (55k). You can expect all BC schools to only hire UK teachers with the odd one out from the colonies and occasional Filipino support staff.

They normally hire direct from the UK (so most applicants are British) and rarely, if ever hire from in country. 

They definitely do not pay 55k (that is their EAL teacher salary) as mentioned above.

NQTs start on 100k ++ which is very comparable to a lot of international schools. 

If they advertise in the TES then most applicants will likely be from the UK, although anyone can apply, and many non-UK based teachers will respond to the online advert. I would guess that the most important criteria for interview selection would be familiarity with the curriculum, and the ability to deliver it and assess student progress using the most up to date methods. So, in answer to your question, it is less to do with employing only one nationality and more to do with matching suitability to the role (which could be any nationality). This is the same for all the bigger international schools. As for hiring locally, again, how up to date are the applicants, and how familiar are they with the job spec and requirements? If they are already working at a similar-curriculum school in Thailand then they may well be a strong candidate. There will be hundreds of jobs advertised here every week:

https://www.tes.com/jobs/browse/international

The jobs I've seen on Ajarn. At least two and perhaps three posted were for 55k. I'm absolutely certain. Obviously no QTS will bite at that. I don't recall if the ad specifically called for EAL but I think no more than yes.

If they're doing British curriculum sure they're hiring teachers that know this best for many reasons. Still, one can learn. Thai public schools in theory are based on BC. I'd respect them more if they just stated - British, Irish only in their Ajarn ads.

Again, just my opinion. I would not apply as American and possibly Canadian.

That auto response mailing you an application link and asking you to apply means nothing. They send that to all respondents or at least did in past

I don't think it's such a hot school. The principal was able to have a spotlight shone on the school for a moment but as a teacher whose students regularly mix with the best international schools. This school never came up in conversation nor appear on any EC roster's I've ever seen. This is purely anecdotal and some schools prefer their privacy.

Bilinguals are weird. Do the kids shoot for local universities or abroad? I'd be curious their ONET and GAT PAT scores. Not really a lot of good truly bilingual schools, it's certainly unique.

I'd never want to be a 55k helper. You can bet all the sh1+ flows downhill. Overworked, lack of respect from 'real teachers' with 0-few years at best in country. Up to you but if you're EFL and in top form you can do better imo. 65k is possible.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

The jobs I've seen on Ajarn. At least two and perhaps three posted were for 55k. I'm absolutely certain. Obviously no QTS will bite at that. I don't recall if the ad specifically called for EAL but I think no more than yes.

We have had this conversation before on here I think. I know for 100% truth as I know people who work there. Their EAL staff (TEFL qualified) start on 55k and teach small EAL intervention class, whereas the fully qualified teachers (PGCE, QTS etc) teaching the UK curriculum start on 100k upwards with benefits which is pretty good. Those jobs are on TES now. 

I don't think it is meant to be a fantastic school. However, they have a good niche market where they can appeal to the wealthier Thais who like the idea of a school that offers the same as an international school, but keeps all the Thai stuff going on. They have well over a 1000 students so something must be working. 

1 minute ago, BobbyL said:

We have had this conversation before on here I think. I know for 100% truth as I know people who work there. Their EAL staff (TEFL qualified) start on 55k and teach small EAL intervention class, whereas the fully qualified teachers (PGCE, QTS etc) teaching the UK curriculum start on 100k upwards with benefits which is pretty good. Those jobs are on TES now. 

I don't think it is meant to be a fantastic school. However, they have a good niche market where they can appeal to the wealthier Thais who like the idea of a school that offers the same as an international school, but keeps all the Thai stuff going on. They have well over a 1000 students so something must be working. 

I don't disagree.

Archived