Why all the discontent?

jpeezy

So, I been lurking on these forums for while. One thing I have noticed is the general discontent of being in Thailand from some forum users. I do plan on semi-retiring in Thailand sometime in the next 10 or so years, but sometimes I get second thoughts from reading the posts here. Part of me thinks it is just maybe some who are forgetting how home really is, although I will acknowledge there are problems in Thailand as there are everywhere. So, is it really that bad? Or is it just the case of people complaining cause they have nothing else to complain about?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sanemax said:

The complaints are valid .

Thailand has changed from a free for all do as you like no hassle free living , to a strict unwelcoming Country  where its akin to living in an open jail .

A bit harsh imho, but it's true that some 20 years ago the place was happier.

8 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

A bit harsh imho, but it's true that some 20 years ago the place was happier.

In open jails, you are allowed out in the daytime and have to report back at night .

Same as Thailand , although you can stay where you like, you still have to report where you are staying every night

Don't believe all you read.  Assuming you have adequate savings and income to satisfy long stay visa requirements, Thailand is a great place to live.  Sure, prices are higher than a few years ago.....as they are everywhere.  

My wife and I have been here for 23 years.....no problems at all.  Actually, the country, at least where we live, is getting better all the time

In open jails, you are allowed out in the daytime and have to report back at night .

Same as Thailand , although you can stay where you like, you still have to report where you are staying every night

Yep, nobody likes that.

If i have a friend sleeping in the house, i am supposed to report that. And the opposite.

Mind boggling if you ask me.

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, nobody likes that.

If i have a friend sleeping in the house, i am supposed to report that. And the opposite.

What is the reason and logic behind it ?

Is it because that if there is a crime commited , the Police know where the culprits will be staying ?

Maybe I have a skewed view, I been living outside the USA for the past 11 years from places like Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain and South Korea. I have only been to Thailand as a visitor so I haven't dealt with the residency headaches etc. That being said, I think some of the countries I have mentioned are way more like an "open jail".

To be honest, and not to offend anyone here, but a lot of it sounds to me like the grumpy get off my lawn type complaints, if that makes sense.

Is it possibly because it could be so much better but very frustrating that it isn't?

Also, me being half Thai, would that make a difference quality-of-life wise, when I go through the process to gain residency/citizenship?

Sanemax is bang on the money here.

What makes it worse is that many can remember the 'good old days' when all you needed to do to be legal in the country was hop on the train to Penang and return a few days later with a nice shiny METV (or whatever) for a few hundred baht and the only hassle was getting a cab to Ferenghi Beach to use its meter. 

Now they have to 'check in' even if they just pop down to see a pal in another town for a few nights.

I've not yet been back under these 'new conditions' but will have to soon. For the first time in my long (30 yr) working history in Thailand, I'm not looking forward to going back too much. Were it not for the fact that I'm 'tied' to Thailand, I'd certainly be looking elsewhere in SEA but as our only other regional office is in SIngapore or Jakarta. In fact I'm not too sure the new rules apply to me on a non immi B/Work Permit but that doesn't alter the fact the new rules are stringent, not to mention ridiculous. 

I can understand why so many feel like they've been let down. for years they have lived legally in Thailand, made lives for themselves only to be made to jump through increasingly difficult hoops, seemingly at the ever changing whims of the powers that be.

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Yep, nobody likes that.

Wow, I was not aware of that. How is that enforced?

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What is the reason and logic behind it ?

Is it because that if there is a crime commited , the Police know where the culprits will be staying ?

My Thai buddy says because there are too many foreign criminals in Thailand, and i accept it as a partial explanation, but there could be more than that.

2 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

Sanemax is bang on the money here.

What makes it worse is that many can remember the 'good old days' when all you needed to do to be legal in the country was hop on the train to Penang and return a few days later with a nice shiny METV (or whatever) for a few hundred baht and the only hassle was getting a cab to Ferenghi Beach to use its meter. 

Now they have to 'check in' even if they just pop down to see a pal in another town for a few nights.

I've not yet been back under these 'new conditions' but will have to soon. For the first time in my long (30 yr) working history in Thailand, I'm not looking forward to going back too much. Were it not for the fact that I'm 'tied' to Thailand, I'd certainly be looking elsewhere in SEA but as our only other regional office is in SIngapore or Jakarta. In fact I'm not too sure the new rules apply to me on a non immi B/Work Permit but that doesn't alter the fact the new rules are stringent, not to mention ridiculous. 

I can understand why so many feel like they've been let down. for years they have lived legally in Thailand, made lives for themselves only to be made to jump through increasingly difficult hoops, seemingly at the ever changing whims of the powers that be.

Ok, that makes more sense now. I can see why that would upset a lot of folks.

I say semi-retire, but my intent is to be able to pick and go to another place if it turns out to be a terrible move. For example, I don't plan on buying property to keep me tied down to Thailand per se. I love coming there as tourist, but I guess i will prepare for the novelty of living there to wear off if it turns out to be a mistake. 

2 minutes ago, jpeezy said:

Wow, I was not aware of that. How is that enforced?

I was not aware of it too, until few months ago. I used to spend weeks in my girl friend home, and the opposite.

It's not really enforced, but in theory, if you don't report, you are breaking the law. afaik.

Use this forum for general information but not for a deciding factor. For obvious reasons there will be more complaints than, "today nothing bad happen".. these "nothing bad happen"  threads don't last longer than a couple of "oh that's nice" comments , where a complaint Thread will bring out everyone else who has an issue

"oh you think dogs barking is bad, my sacroliliak hurts because of the humidity" etc.

Not making any value judgments, I am probably just as bad.  But the point is , it is hard to get a realistic picture. 

Then you have all those who come here with unrealistic expectations, and when these expectations fail, rather than blame themselves for not being properly prepared, They blame Thailand and everything Thai.

Advice: visit here and take Thailand in small doses , Eventually you will get a feel for the place. Treat people with respect and you will get respect in return,

From some you will not get the proper respect, but that's not your fault they have their own issues , there alway going to be those  in any country, you can't control that, The only thing you have any real control is yourself.

Finally, even you small visits to Thailand are not give you a clear picture,

(it will give you some feel but not total feel) 

every place is great when on vacation with a pocket full of cash and a vacation mode deposition,  RENT a place and stay here for a Year, don't burn your bridges, when the minutiae of day life sets in it might not be for you, Be prepared for a PLAN B. 

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

My Thai buddy says because there are too many foreign criminals in Thailand, and i accept it as a partial explanation, but there could be more than that.

I think there's something in that, especially in these times of political instability and uncertainty, those in power need to be able to puff out their chests and show how 'effective' they are being in their jobs. Just look at some of the ludicrous media shows the Immigration put on whenever they catch a 'foreign criminal' with all them silly posters and that. 

26 minutes ago, jpeezy said:

I do plan on semi-retiring in Thailand sometime in the next 10 or so years

many things will happen/change in the next 10 years, you have plenty of time to worry about it, we on the other hand just (for starters) hope for a democratic government (wishful thinking I know)

Who can predict what any country will be like in 10 years?

That is just ridiculous.

Thailand is still the third world anyway you look at it. 

Politicians get into politics to control budgets to make themselves rich. Therefore the country never moves forward. Ever!

Depending on who is in charge of the govt, the policies can either favor or hinder expats.

Right now the policies seem to be anti-expat

Currency? No one that retired to Thailand predicted the currency would depreciate so much and are now forced to live with it.

Who knows what the currency will do in 10 years? Might be more expensive than your home country?

The big question is HOW many people would have moved to Thailand in the first place if NOT for the cheap and easily available women, who will marry almost anyone?

Thailand is overcrowded, pollution is getting worse ever year, traffic is already at nightmare levels, flooding, monsoons, heat and humidity, mosquitoes, etc. What exactly is the big attraction about living in all that?

I really think if people had the money required to retire in comfort in their own countries, they would have never picked Thailand. Go to Thailand a month or 2 to play around, sure, but move there and have no bridge to get back? No Thanks.

However, if you want to rent a 1 room flat in your golden years and chase bar girls, this is probably the place for you.

The government can pass any policy they want, increase financial requirements to stay, mandatory insurance, you name it. Their country, their rules.

Thailand has taken such a dive the past 2 years, cannot even image 10 years from now?

1 minute ago, IvorLott said:

I think there's something in that, especially in these times of political instability and uncertainty, those in power need to be able to puff out their chests and show how 'effective' they are being in their jobs. Just look at some of the ludicrous media shows the Immigration put on whenever they catch a 'foreign criminal' with all them silly posters and that. 

Agree, having some foreigners to blame takes away the focus from other issues, and there are plenty.

17 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

How many foreign criminals have they actually caught using this method though ? They may catch an overstayer every now and then , but does that justify treating everyone like potential criminals ?

How many foreign criminals have they actually caught using this method though ? They may catch an overstayer every now and then , but does that justify treating everyone like potential criminals ?

True, in fact i agree that it's incredibly annoying for hundreds of thousands of law-abiding people, but that's it.

If you think about plane travel, it's the same concept. All those checks are truly annoying for millions of people, just because of few terrorists.

I'm afraid to think what the world will be in the next few years.

17 minutes ago, jpeezy said:

Ok, that makes more sense now. I can see why that would upset a lot of folks.

I say semi-retire, but my intent is to be able to pick and go to another place if it turns out to be a terrible move. For example, I don't plan on buying property to keep me tied down to Thailand per se. I love coming there as tourist, but I guess i will prepare for the novelty of living there to wear off if it turns out to be a mistake. 

I've given it a bit of thought, like you, and come to the conclusion that you are better off coming for 90 days per year, staying in one place, and avoiding all the immigration and reporting hassles ... I'm thinking of having a settled place in Europe and travelling for 5-6 months per year ... so I get the best of both worlds. 

Staying in Thailand long term under the rules that SaneMax has highlighted makes no sense to me ... it's like living on parole.

"do plan on semi-retiring in Thailand sometime in the next 10 or so years, 

Some of us will not live in Thailand or anywhere else on the planet anymore in 10 or so years... Things might change a lot in 10 years. Best will be you come when you intend to retire. Then look yourself. I think this might be the only way to find out if you like it here or not. 

8 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

imo most of the whining is due to people being raised in countries that wiped their noses for them, made em' all soft lol 

What countries are those, pls let me know.

I don't know how long have you lived in Thailand, but most people seem to agree that it was better some decades ago.

Ok, all the world was better, but the OP is about Thailand.

Archived