Manchester City brings six trophies to Thailand

webfact

Manchester City brings six trophies to Thailand

By THE NATION

800_6cdcbebb2794fe6.jpg?v=1572868562

City legend Shaun Wright-Phillips will accompany the trophies for a series of exciting fan events.

Manchester City is bringing its silverware to two cities in Thailand from November 5-11 to celebrate with fans as part of their global trophy tour, presented by Etihad Airways.

The Trophy Tour is a part of a club celebration after making football history by becoming the first English football club to lift six trophies across both its men’s and women’s teams in the same season.

Thailand is a key destination for Manchester City’s trophies and its last visit to the country was in June 2018, where club player Aymeric Laporte took a selection of trophies to Bangkok and met with fans in the city.

On Tuesday 5 November, Manchester City will be at Chiang Mai United Arena from 5pm – 8pm and fans are invited to turn up and take photos with the prestigious silverware. 

Club legend, Shaun Wright-Phillips, who made 275 appearances for the Club, scoring 47 goals, between 1996 – 2005 and 2008 – 2011, will then accompany the trophies in Bangkok for a series of exciting fan activities.

On Sunday 10 November, a free family-friendly football festival will be taking place from 12pm at the Skykick Arena. As well as being able to have their photos with the trophies, fans will be able to win prizes, feature in a green-screen player walk out experience and be part of a Q & A session with Wright-Phillips. From 9.30pm, Skykick Arena will be transformed into a match day screening party as City take on rivals Liverpool in a highly anticipated Premier League fixture. Fans at the CityLive! event will get to hear Shaun Wright-Phillips match analysis, plus there’ll be exclusive giveaways and chances to win player signed shirts.

Nuria Tarre, Chief Marketing Officer at City Football Group, commented: “We’re excited to have the men’s and women’s trophies on tour at the same time. This is a football first and we can’t wait to celebrate our historic success with fans in Thailand. The tour will bring an authentic City experience to Chiang Mai and Bangkok, allowing those fans who would never get to travel to Manchester the chance to experience the club they love closer than ever and right in their hometowns.”

One of the highlights of the Trophy Tour, supported locally by Rexona, is an immersive fan experience that is modelled to look like the home dressing room at the Etihad Stadium, giving fans who would never get to visit Manchester the chance to experience the excitement of a City matchday.

Manchester City has also supported a number of community initiatives in Thailand, as part of its global community work. In 2017, City partnered with the Not Just For Kicks project in Bangkok which saw Young Leaders rehabilitate play spaces to teach football to young people in their community and provide them with life skills to encourage positive life choices. Since the inception of the project, more than 1,200 at risk youths have been supported.

In 2018, City coaches and former players put on training sessions for the Wild Boar football players, before helping the community tackle local water accessibility challenges by building a clean drinking water tower with the Xylem team in the Chiang Rai province. 

Fans can keep up to date at www.mancity.com/trophytour and via the Club’s Cityzens platform and can sign-up to CityLive now at www.mancity.com/citylivebangkok

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/sport/30378061

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-05

7 hours ago, webfact said:

making football history by becoming the first English football club to lift six trophies across both its men’s and women’s teams in the same season.

Article doesn't mention what six trophies, so here you go.

City's men's team become the first English men’s team to win a domestic treble in one season (Premier League, FA Cup & League Cup, and also won the Community Shield (that's 4 trophies).

City's ladies' team won the FA Women's Cup and the FA Women's League Cup (that's 2 trophies). 

You're welcome.

7 hours ago, champers said:

A long way to go before City become anywhere near as popular as Man Utd or Liverpool in Thailand. At least they are giving it a try and are keeping SWP gainfully employed.

United will be forgotten about in 5 years if they carry on as they are. Thai's aren't loyal to one team and follow the ones who are winning. In my village I am seeing more and more City shirts every visit. And no, I'm not giving away my old ones ????

1 hour ago, BMW Overlander said:

SWP is a Man City legend? wow

I think the word 'legend' is used these days not in the way some of us might use it. My kids are always talking about players being legends. It's probably a term that's over used and used with too many players.

A player who is a club legend to fans of that club might not seem like a club legend to fans who don't support that club. ManU fans call 'Ole at the wheel' a club legend but to me as a City fan he was a very good super-sub, but if they want to call Ole a club legend I'm fine with that as they will know his worth to ManU better than I will.

As I understand it, a club legend isn't just someone with great talent or wins lot, it's also about a player with great attitude and/or a player who connects with the fans. As a City fan then, do i think SWP comes in to that category? Is he a player I might still be talking about / thinking about in decades to come. Definitely a yes on both counts.

SWP played for City on two occasions (pre- and post Chelsea). Pre-Chelsea he was absolutely brilliant, up and down the wing, dropping in at right-back, just full of energy and a great attitude is how I will always remember him. Without checking who was in the squad during all those years, I would guess he was probably City's best player. He went to Chelsea and Mourinho I guess it was changed his style of play and when we returned he definitely wasn't the same player we'd sold.

7 hours ago, champers said:

A long way to go before City become anywhere near as popular as Man Utd or Liverpool in Thailand

As a City fan do I want City to be as popular as ManU and/or Liverpool in Thailand and other parts of the world? Would I want to be going to watch City home games with crowds of say 70000 - 80000?

Truly and honestly that's a no on both accounts, though I can imagine City's owners would like that in the future.

4 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I think the word 'legend' is used these days not in the way some of us might use it. My kids are always talking about players being legends. It's probably a term that's over used and used with too many players.

A player who is a club legend to fans of that club might not seem like a club legend to fans who don't support that club. ManU fans call 'Ole at the wheel' a club legend but to me as a City fan he was a very good super-sub, but if they want to call Ole a club legend I'm fine with that as they will know his worth to ManU better than I will.

As I understand it, a club legend isn't just someone with great talent or wins lot, it's also about a player with great attitude and/or a player who connects with the fans. As a City fan then, do i think SWP comes in to that category? Is he a player I might still be talking about / thinking about in decades to come. Definitely a yes on both counts.

SWP played for City on two occasions (pre- and post Chelsea). Pre-Chelsea he was absolutely brilliant, up and down the wing, dropping in at right-back, just full of energy and a great attitude is how I will always remember him. Without checking who was in the squad during all those years, I would guess he was probably City's best player. He went to Chelsea and Mourinho I guess it was changed his style of play and when we returned he definitely wasn't the same player we'd sold.

Even by today's standards, no way SWP can be classed as a legend surely. Decent player in an average City side.

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Didn't read my comments too closely i see. 

I did and you reminded me that your reference to Ole is absolutely ridiculous. He scored arguably the most important goal in our club's history.

But aside from that he played for the club from 1996-2008, turned down numerous offers of first team football elsewhere, and was the epitome of the selfless team man. Basically ticks all the boxes of a club legend.

You couldn't have actually chosen a worse example to bring up.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

I did and you reminded me that your reference to Ole is absolutely ridiculous. He scored arguably the most important goal in our club's history.

But aside from that he played for the club from 1996-2008, turned down numerous offers of first team football elsewhere, and was the epitome of the selfless team man. Basically ticks all the boxes of a club legend.

You couldn't have actually chosen a worse example to bring up.

You're basically agreeing with me without knowing it.

A club's supporters sets the criteria why a particular player is considered a legend by them. A player who's a legend to his own supporters may not seem so to other supporters. I chose OGS on purpose for my point as he's considered a legend by you for the reasons you gave but not by me - i don't recall him ever holding down a starting position but it's  not relevant whether he did or not,  the relevant  point is he's seen as a legend by you but not by me. Paul Dickov is considered a legend at City, for similar reasons you gave about OGS (commitment, gave his all and of course he scored THAT goal which means he's regularly the point of discussion with City fans 20 years later), but i wouldnt expect you to see him as being a City legend. 

Being a legend isn't just about being a great player, it encompasses more than that.

Has the penny dropped yet?

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You're basically agreeing with me without knowing it.

A club's supporters sets the criteria why a particular player is considered a legend by them. A player who's a legend to his own supporters may not seem so to other supporters. I chose OGS on purpose for my point as he's considered a legend by you for the reasons you gave but not by me - i don't recall him ever holding down a starting position but it's  not relevant whether he did or not,  the relevant  point is he's seen as a legend by you but not by me. Paul Dickov is considered a legend at City, for similar reasons you gave about OGS (commitment, gave his all and of course he scored THAT goal which means he's regularly the point of discussion with City fans 20 years later), but i wouldnt expect you to see him as being a City legend. 

Being a legend isn't just about being a great player, it encompasses more than that.

Has the penny dropped yet?

I would expect all non United fans to recognise him as a bona-fide United club legend for all the pretty obvious reasons stated above.

Comparing Dickov to Ole...  This just gets better. Some of these guys blur the lines between 'cult hero' and club legend. But I don't see how you can see Ole as anything other than a club legend, whoever you support.

24 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Comparing Dickov to Ole...  This just gets better. Some of these guys blur the lines between 'cult hero' and club legend. But I don't see how you can see Ole as anything other than a club legend, whoever you support.

If you don't understand why Dickov is a Man City legend, I think you are missing the point.

In 1999, Dickov was the difference between me and 1,000's of other City fans driving home from Wembley extremely miserable. And without whom, who knows what division we would still be in. What he did on that day alone makes him a legend.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

I would expect all non United fans to recognise him as a bona-fide United club legend for all the pretty obvious reasons stated above.

You really don't get this do you ????

We were home for the Leicester 'Vinny don't shoot' victory, we went on the Etihad Stadium Tour the day after we clinched the Premier title at Brighton but the PL trophy wasn't on display yet (saw the League Cup trophy and it was a week later we won the FA cup), so it was a very proud and a once-in-a-lifetime moment this afternoon to see the domestic triple altogether. Thank you City. 

A VERY HAPPY MAN!

1573385233830.jpg

1573386661795.jpg

20191110_150248.jpg

20191110_142926.jpg

20191110_142921.jpg

20191110_142932.jpg

20191110_142936.jpg

20191110_143714.jpg

20191110_143858.jpg

Archived