What does this mean?

I am a little surprised to see that they copied old visa information. Commonly, they only copy stamps relevant to your current permission to stay. It seems possible that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has asked Immigration to keep a record of Non Ed visa applications when transferring stamps so it is easier to prevent people staying long term on serial Non Ed Visas. Interesting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

As long as I have been here (30+ years) they have always done this. For every visa type. Only the stamps are transferred but notation is made of the original visa details.

If you seek to make an ectension they need to know what type of visa you initially enteted on

I understand what you are saying Sheryl, and I guess it is possible that the OP is still in Thailand on a Non Ed visa. However, the dates in the stamps he posted suggests that his stay on the Non Ed ended in May. I am assuming he may now be in Thailand on a tourist entry, but perhaps I am wrong. I have not previously seen visa information copied across that is not relevant to the current permission to stay.

I think I see now. I read the stamps too quickly. Your passport was issued in the US in October 2017. Your last entry with a visa was in May 2019 (permission to stay until August 2019. There is presumably a further stamp that you have not shown us that addresses the period from August 2019 to date.

34 minutes ago, Keepitmovin said:

It's weird. I arrived November 2017 with Visa exempt. She wrote October 2017. I stayed in CM with tourist visas and border runs. I'm still confused 

So you have never applied for a non-Immigrant-ed visa yet you have a stamp for one in your new passport, you are not the only one to be confused. 

The way to understand passport stamps is to look for the latest date on the “Admitted” and “Until” stamp.  The impression your picture gives is that when this stamp recording your old passport was given on 31st Oct 2019 your “until” date shows that you were on overstay! 

Edited by tgeezer
Amplification

30 minutes ago, Keepitmovin said:

It's weird. I arrived November 2017 with Visa exempt. She wrote October 2017. I stayed in CM with tourist visas and border runs. I'm still confused 

I think that is the date your old passport was issued not your entry to the country.

40 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

He came in May for 90 days and extended for a year in August, is that not how visas work? 

If he is worried that his history is not erased by getting a new passport then he is right to be worried.

Your history is in the computer and will probably still be there years after you've been pushing up daises for a long long time so being in your passport as well is the just the same.

Are you saying you never entered on an ED visa? Because this entry records you having done so on 23 May 2019.

It also appears to record an original ED visa having been issued October 2017 (visa issue date commonly is prior to date of entry into the country) yet you say you entered visa exempt.

If you truly never had an ED visa then they got you mixed up with someone else and made wrong entries. Is the passport number shown that if your prior passport?

Nothing new/ED visa specific.

Below my stamp from 2017 (got new passport).

It shows nr. of old passport and details of last entry and handwritten something like last extension based on retirement, 800k method in 2016.

Below is the 'reproduction" of the entry stamp from 2011.

stempel_uebertrag.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am a little surprised to see that they copied old visa information. Commonly, they only copy stamps relevant to your current permission to stay.

They always transfer the entry visa information. They have to as it dictates what extensions are available in the future.

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

It seems possible that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has asked Immigration to keep a record of Non Ed visa applications when transferring stamps so it is easier to prevent people staying long term on serial Non Ed Visas. Interesting.

It’s absolutely nothing to do with the MFA.

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

I understand what you are saying Sheryl, and I guess it is possible that the OP is still in Thailand on a Non Ed visa. However, the dates in the stamps he posted suggests that his stay on the Non Ed ended in May. I am assuming he may now be in Thailand on a tourist entry, but perhaps I am wrong. I have not previously seen visa information copied across that is not relevant to the current permission to stay.

His stay started in May when he entered the country. He was given 90 days until Aug. Since then he must have applied for an extension of stay. That stay permit will have been transferred in addition to the entry visa information.

On 11/5/2019 at 6:30 AM, BritTim said:

I am a little surprised to see that they copied old visa information. Commonly, they only copy stamps relevant to your current permission to stay. It seems possible that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has asked Immigration to keep a record of Non Ed visa applications when transferring stamps so it is easier to prevent people staying long term on serial Non Ed Visas. Interesting.

Disagree as others have said.  In my opinion, when transferring current stamps into a new passport, the first information they place in the new passport is what was the basis for the initial entry into Thailand (the OP came in on an ED visa in October of 2017).  In my case, the first stamp in the new passport lists the Non-O that was issued to me more than a decade ago.

Contrary to how some people analyze the situation, I don't believe the OP's first ED visa or my first Non-O is completely dead as, in my view, all annual extensions are based on that original entry and that's why the information is transferred into a new passport along with the latest extension information (and, if still alive, an existing re-entry stamp).

On 11/5/2019 at 6:35 AM, Sheryl said:

As long as I have been here (30+ years) they have always done this. For every visa type. Only the stamps are transferred but notation is made of the original visa details.

If you seek to make an ectension they need to know what type of visa you initially enteted on

At several immigration offices they don't transfer the old visa,just the last entry stamp and in my case my last 1 year extension based on retirement.