American and Thai wife on the run after police officer ‘shot and stabbed’ in Pattaya

webfact

American and Thai wife on the run after police officer ‘shot and stabbed’ in Pattaya 

451799.jpg

An American man is on the run after allegedly stabbing a police officer at Pattaya Provincial Court before fleeing to a waiting getaway car on Monday.

Bart Allen Helmus, 39, was due to face charges alongside his Thai wife, who along with a third prisoner also escaped following the incident. 

Varying reports in Thai media claim a police officer was stabbed, while other reports say he was also shot.

Police confirmed the wounded officer remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Video footage shows one prisoner brandishing a firearm, while another can be seen wrestling an officer to the ground.

The three then ran to an Isuzu pickup truck which was waiting outside.  

All three prisoners were still wearing chains when they escaped. 

Police are now investigating how they came to obtain a knife and pistol.

A large scale operation has now been put in place to try and locate the trio, with roadblocks and police checkpoints set up across the province.

The American and his wife were arrested in Pattaya in July after being found in possession of nearly 1kg of crystal meth, a pistol and 200 bullets.

Police said they had the pair under surveillance after receiving reports they had been selling crystal meth throughout Pattaya.

The arrests came after an undercover officer posed as a customer who arranged to buy 10 grams of crystal meth from the couple.

Anyone with information as to the whereabouts of the three prisoners is urged to contact:

Royal Thai Police Operations Center on 1599 or Pattaya police station 038-420-804.

This is a developing news story and may be updated without warning.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-05

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ouch!

I would not want to be them when they are caught.

Being arrested and jailed in Thailand is already something that I would not wish on my worst enemies, but these ones, should they live, are likely to have it even worse than most.

In their shoes, I wouldn't allow myself to be captured...

11 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Ouch!

Being arrested and jailed in Thailand is already something that I would not wish on my worst enemies, but these ones, should they live, are likely to have it even worse than most.

There life is now forfeit.  They had an opportunity for trial, now they will likely never make it to trial... or even returning to jail/prison. 

13 minutes ago, mikebell said:

The story in the Bangkok Post shows a picture of the American who will obviously stand out in a Thai crowd but none of the Thai accomplices who did the actual shooting.  Thus the blame game continues; Thai Good; Farang Bad.

So, the American is innocent? An innocent man falsely accused?

Another quality tourist.

Article

48 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Ouch!

They are not going to give up easily, will probably end with a shoot-out.

54 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

There life is now forfeit.  They had an opportunity for trial, now they will likely never make it to trial... or even returning to jail/prison. 

You mean, never make it to trial like Son of Redbull who killed a policeman?

Bart Allen Helmus is a known criminal in the US , and been in prison in drug related cases.  So this is a bad guy.

He will probably try to cross the border, but I don't think he's smart enough. 

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Totally untrue.

I went a little faster believing that what is true in France and in other countries was in all countries :sorry:

" Some countries, such as Austria, Brazil, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Japan, Norway, the People's Republic of China, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Russia, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland and Syria, forbid extradition of their own citizens. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradition

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Dont worry some people jump at every opportunity to defend foreigners and bash Thais even when its not true. Thanks for catching the mistake.

I think the American has the best chance of escaping, I mean if he can make it to a neighboring country he can fly away to home and forget about this. The US does not like extraditing people that much.

To get to a neighboring country he would have to enter it illegally, no stamp in his passport would show when he tries to exit through the airport, he would be arrested, do time for illegal entry then be sent back to Thailand.

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

I went a little faster believing that what is true in France and in other countries was in all countries :sorry:

" Some countries, such as Austria, Brazil, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Japan, Norway, the People's Republic of China, the Republic of China (Taiwan), Russia, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland and Syria, forbid extradition of their own citizens. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradition

If i were Thailand or any other country I would never ever let people from that list get bail in my country. I also find it totally repulsive as it means they can commit whatever crime they want (in other countries) and get away with it once they are home.

Repulsive countries each one of them, I can understand you don't hand over your own easily but if the case is strong and there is evidence why not. 

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Ouch!

Depending on the amount of cash you have available and Thai prisons are not any exception ...

18 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

a young man of 39 in thailand should be with a better looking and younger girlfriend, is all i see.:crazy:

recreational drug use is a victimless crime, same with prostitution (also illegal in LOS)

3394834.jpg

Recreational drug use and prostitution are victimless.

Hilarious 

Just now, soalbundy said:

To get to a neighboring country he would have to enter it illegally, no stamp in his passport would show when he tries to exit through the airport, he would be arrested, do time for illegal entry then be sent back to Thailand.

He is a criminal, there are ways to get over the border illegal . Of course he should not go the legal way. That you even think about this is strange, usually your quite sharp. It is still early however. 

If your a criminal on the run you don't take a normal border checkpoint you try to get over any other way. Its extra risk but as you say the risk of getting caught at a border checkpoint is higher.

RE - Police are now investigating how they came to obtain a knife and pistol.

* Maybe an idea to focus on catching them first as the answers are out there somewhere ... :thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, robblok said:

Dont worry some people jump at every opportunity to defend foreigners and bash Thais even when its not true. Thanks for catching the mistake.

I think the American has the best chance of escaping, I mean if he can make it to a neighboring country he can fly away to home and forget about this. The US does not like extraditing people that much.

The US also does not like letting major drug dealers run around free... unless they are employed by big pharma.  One reason why SE Asia drug laws are so strict is the pressure the US placed on them to stop the flow of major drugs from the Golden Triangle into the US.  The US would more than likely send him back for trial.

Just now, mogandave said:

Recreational drug use and prostitution are victimless.

Hilarious 

I actually agree.. unless prostitution is forced. Thankfully more and more people see recreational drug use as victim-less. In my country you dont get arrested when high (unless your a nuisance or operate a vehicle) . You do get arrested when you deal drugs.

Archived