American and Thai wife on the run after police officer ‘shot and stabbed’ in Pattaya

webfact

4 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Depending on the amount of cash you have available and Thai prisons are not any exception ...

If he was in a position to buy himself out of this situation... he would not have needed to leave jail without permission so to speak.  He probably could have bought his way out of a death penalty with information on his supply chain of precursors.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bkkcanuck8 said:

The US also does not like letting major drug dealers run around free... unless they are employed by big pharma.  One reason why SE Asia drug laws are so strict is the pressure the US placed on them to stop the flow of major drugs from the Golden Triangle into the US.  The US would more than likely send him back for trial.

I did not say that the US likes to have drug dealers run free but I thought the US hardly ever sends anyone back. The US often has a real bad attitude, like the ambassadors wife that killed a guy while driving on the wrong side of the road and escaped the UK. Prime example of how messed up it is a clear crime yet not send back. I know its not compatible as the ambassadors wife has diplomatic immunity but still. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

If i were Thailand or any other country I would never ever let people from that list get bail in my country. I also find it totally repulsive as it means they can commit whatever crime they want (in other countries) and get away with it once they are home.

Repulsive countries each one of them, I can understand you don't hand over your own easily but if the case is strong and there is evidence why not. 

forbid extradition of their own citizens. " does not mean that the citizens of the countries concerned live free.
In most cases they are arrested and tried in their own country for crimes committed in another country.
If the American and his wife manage to leave Thailand and arrive safely in the USA they will be arrested, put in prison and judges for what they did in Thailand.
And if the woman does not have the American nationality she will be sent back to Thailand to be judged and imprisoned.
I guess they prefer US prisons to those in Thailand ....

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

He is a criminal, there are ways to get over the border illegal . Of course he should not go the legal way. That you even think about this is strange, usually your quite sharp. It is still early however. 

If your a criminal on the run you don't take a normal border checkpoint you try to get over any other way. Its extra risk but as you say the risk of getting caught at a border checkpoint is higher.

Hmm, it does not appear to be a single visa requirement for criminals .... ????

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

Dont worry some people jump at every opportunity to defend foreigners and bash Thais even when its not true. Thanks for catching the mistake.

I think the American has the best chance of escaping, I mean if he can make it to a neighboring country he can fly away to home and forget about this. The US does not like extraditing people that much.

BS

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

To get to a neighboring country he would have to enter it illegally, no stamp in his passport would show when he tries to exit through the airport, he would be arrested, do time for illegal entry then be sent back to Thailand.

He would have to contacts or be able to get contacts to either acquire an illegal passport and leave from a country that would not spot it... or he would have to buy his way onto a freighter or somesort bound for somewhere other than SE Asia.

4 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

If he was in a position to buy himself out of this situation... he would not have needed to leave jail without permission so to speak.  He probably could have bought his way out of a death penalty with information on his supply chain of precursors.

It cost probably more to pay for the way out than to pay for increased comfort during the stay ... :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

There life is now forfeit.  They had an opportunity for trial, now they will likely never make it to trial... or even returning to jail/prison. 

How do you know that "there" [sic] lives are forfeit?    Their lives could still be very long.....in prison... and after they get out.

Pay a heavy fine...  do some wais and say "very very sorry" and offer to spend some time at a Buddhist monastery studying Dhamma....  do a little time....  and out and free. 

6 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

forbid extradition of their own citizens. " does not mean that the citizens of the countries concerned live free.
In most cases they are arrested and tried in their own country for crimes committed in another country.
If the American and his wife manage to leave Thailand and arrive safely in the USA they will be arrested, put in prison and judges for what they did in Thailand.
And if the woman does not have the American nationality she will be sent back to Thailand to be judged and imprisoned.
I guess they prefer US prisons to those in Thailand ....

If that is the case i can certainly live with it and I will take back my comments. 

they are going to get one hell of a beating when they are caught. What stupid thing to do, firstly to get yourself into a situation where you are standing trial in this country, and then to try and kill off police officers lol... seriously nuts. They must have been string out on meth to add to the equation 

2 minutes ago, Catoni said:

How do you know that "there" [sic] lives are forfeit?    Their lives could still be very long.....in prison... and after they get out.

Pay a heavy fine...  do some wais and say "very very sorry" and offer to spend some time at a Buddhist monastery studying Dhamma....  do a little time....  and out and free. 

My fingers sometimes have a mind on their own, I could have acted as my own grammar police (I could not edit it at that time)... but felt it was a waste of comment space... obviously you have different standards.

Again, the time to pay a heavy fine was earlier - obviously that route was not available or he was unwilling to take that route.  He is not from a class that is protected, so that route is closed... he will not get another chance.

UPDATE

Hunt on for drug gang - attempted murder added to charges

1pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Daily News said that the hunt for the three suspects - including an American - who escaped from a Pattaya court on Monday would test the capabilities of the Chonburi police. 

In one report the media quoted a court spokesman Suriyan Hongwilai as saying that a Thai among the three escapees had shot a court guard while the American had stabbed him. 

In another report by the same media they said that the American had shot the guard as he lay on the floor after he was stabbed in the ribs by the Thai. 

Capt Thanamet Phothiphan is out of danger at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. 

Arrest warrants for attempted murder are being issued as the hunt intensifies both in Chonburi and neighboring provinces.

National RTP chief Gen Chakthip Chaijinda has ordered that the suspects are captured quickly and that relatives come forward to help in that endeavor. 

Through his spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen he warned anyone harboring or aiding and abetting the fugitives would be prosecuted. 

The escapees were named as Bart Allen Helmus, 39, his wife Sirinapha Wisetrit and Noi or Ton Nilathet.

They had been held on charges of possessing and dealing in ice.

Daily News contemplated that the case may lead to more shooting. They said that the suspects would be desperate and their capture may end in an extra judicial killing. 

They said the hunt and its resolution would fully test the capabilities of the provincial police and other agencies. 

During the escape they said that further shots were fired before the suspects ran to a waiting Isuzu. 

Another guard was forced to lie on the floor at gunpoint as one of the suspects got the keys to open the main door.

Spokesman Suriyan said that it was well planned and that an investigation is underway to determine what happened.

Sources: Daily News | Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-05

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

They are not going to give up easily, will probably end with a shoot-out.

All 3 are most likely in Cambodia or Laos already with new fake passports.

This was not an accidental breakout but well planned and executed plan with someone on the inside as well.

Do not for one second think they are just hanging around or hiding out somewhere near by.

Courts of Justice spokesman Suriyan Hongwilai said the charges against the three carry a maximum death penalty.

Mr Noi was indicted on charges of possessing 229,800 methamphetamine pills and 100 ecstasy tablets. Mr Helmus and Ms Sirinapa faced trial for possessing a kilo of crystal meth.

The above read, and from the photos I saw, I would suggest that the sooner this trio are taken out, the better off everyone will be.

Speedy recovering to the cop who was just doing his job and didn't back down.

Just now, jacko45k said:

Well didn't they get the guys who did the killing in the Porche Cayenne outby the lake a few years back and they did a dash to the Cambodian border. These 3 are probably stuck in the road works on Hwy 36.  

Those guys did the runner prior to arrests and used their real passports. 

Ok soooo, clip part one they are out of the cells, into the main area.. Thais at the desk just walk out and ignore the police being wrestled to the floor... Other cop comes out of his office then turns around and goes back in again, no one else comes out to help until the gang run out....

Clip part 2 another figure is on the floor under the chair, the gunman is waving it about and pointing the gun to where they came from... keys open the door which looks like to outside and exit..

Clip part 3 .. a pick up turns off right looking like its in a rush... guy on the street opposite looks then does a runner up the street north.... then one police and another guy ( maybe police ) run out and after the pick up... While the second can still be seen running after the pick ups direction the gang of three come out of what looks like another door jog off up the road to the north ... no police in pursuit of them and no pick up to be seen...

Looks to me there might have been a diversion going on outside at the same time the gang were doing their escape routine inside.... 

American, Thai drug suspects flee Pattaya court, stab guard

By THE NATION

800_ca9fe1580926e93.jpg?v=1572916679

Three suspects brought to Pattaya Provincial Court on drug charges managed to escape on Monday, stabbing a guard and forcing others to give them the keys to their shackles before fleeing in a Isuzu pick up, according to Suriyan Hongwilai, a spokesman for the Court.

According to Suriyan, the three are suspects in narcotics offences for which they could receive the death sentence. They have been named as Bart Allen Helmus, an American national, Sirinapha Wiset-rit and Noi or Ton Nilthes, both Thai nationals.

abjkahb8fjgd7c69bjfkc.jpg

Security camera footage revealed that one of the suspects stabbed a guard before forcing other guards to hand them the keys at gunpoint. After they unshackled themselves, the pistol-wielding suspect fired three rounds outside the court to deter pursuit. The three drove away in an Isuzu pickup truck.

Police are still investigating how the suspects acquired the knife and the gun used. The guard who was stabbed was rushed to the hospital and is now in stable condition, according to the police.

S__389767171.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378065

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-05

Does everyone understand why the visas are becoming more and more difficult ? The next time you have a complaint about Thai Immigration focus your attention on all the foreign criminals wandering freely around Thailand. Many are easy to spot a mile away. Focus all your attention on the foreigners that are causing problems . I am sure there are more than a few foreigners that know the criminal backgrounds of others. Before you bitch and moan any longer about Thailand turn the criminals in. Pattaya does seems to attract the majority of foreign criminals. You could not pay me enough to ever set foot there.

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed, along with a quoted response.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

27 minutes ago, BestB said:

All 3 are most likely in Cambodia or Laos already with new fake passports.

This was not an accidental breakout but well planned and executed plan with someone on the inside as well.

Do not for one second think they are just hanging around or hiding out somewhere near by.

Well good the Thai police have no reason to let the foreigners live. Make a example of them and the Thai woman involved and post it on the evening news

4 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Does everyone understand why the visas are becoming more and more difficult ? The next time you have a complaint about Thai Immigration focus your attention on all the foreign criminals wandering freely around Thailand. Many are easy to spot a mile away. Focus all your attention on the foreigners that are causing problems . I am sure there are more than a few foreigners that know the criminal backgrounds of others. Before you bitch and moan any longer about Thailand turn the criminals in. Pattaya does seems to attract the majority of foreign criminals. You could not pay me enough to ever set foot there.

I suppose its a good thing no one is offering you any money to come over to Pattaya????

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

Well good the Thai police have no reason to let the foreigners live. Make a example of them and the Thai woman involved and post it on the evening news

Makes no sense at all what you trying to say, but in a country with 67 million people and 30 million tourists to make a silly statement how 1 foreign criminal makes everyone else look bad is beyond silly

Have to agree with those saying not a good chance they'll make it to trial.  50 years ago I saw first hand what they do to "bad guys". Once caught, they have a circle of cops with the bad guy in the middle; and, they literally kick the <deleted> out of them.  IF they make it back to court they will not be walking in for sure.  

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

The story in the Bangkok Post shows a picture of the American who will obviously stand out in a Thai crowd but none of the Thai accomplices who did the actual shooting.  Thus the blame game continues; Thai Good; Farang Bad.

What a worthless comment! You should feel ashamed making a statement like that. They are all criminals, and I am pretty sure they have been showing pictures of all suspects both in the videos here and in news as well as facebokk and other newspapers.

This has nothing to do with good or bad and who is what! It has to do with that this bad foreigner, is one of the lousy pack thta makes it more bad for all of us to try and be representative citizens form other countries.

Archived