BANGKOK
SammyJ

Living Outside the City

Hello,

When I first moved to cm many years ago, I had thought to live in he "countryside", away from close neighbors, traffic, etc--but, then found a place in the city that was quite nice, near the children's schools, near medical/dental, a Big C and Home Pro, could get fiber internet, etc, so took that home. 

But, am once again considering making the move to nearby countryside, again to be away from the constant ambulance sounds which race by our house at all hours of day and night, the traffic and neighbor noise and proximity, etc, etc.  I realize that there will be challenges with all the things--schools, shopping, etc, as to why i originally stayed in the city.

I was hoping any fellow cm expats could share their own reasons or experiences, good or bad, in making the move to the "countryside".  Besides the things I mentioned above--has there been greater concern with home security or mosquitoes or, or??  whatever--any advice, ideas, etc greatly appreciated as I consider making the move.

Thank you

Lived near Doi Saket for 6 years. Avoid the rush hours and town is 30 minutes away.

Have 3BB Fiber internet. Works great.

Besides being woken up by the roosters, love it here.

Green fields everywhere, warm friendly people.

Never heard of any theft in our village.

Only way I would live in the city is if I owned a penthouse with pool on the 42 floor 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does everyone leave during the burning season? Or just tough it out? I was in CM for a few weeks a few Aprils ago and it was pretty intense.

• Like 1

We lived in Hangdong for almost 2 years, but the proximity of the next house resp. it's residents made us leave. The wife of the neighbour was alcoholic, and their house became something like a drinking centre of Hangdong. The noise level increased with the hour, and with our bed room being just 3 meters away, it was time to consider a move. We looked at many othere houses in the area, but no layout was suitable for us. So we started to look for land in the suburbs and found a nice area in the district of Sansai. We had the house built according to our wishes and without an architect, and 7 months later we moved in. Now we have 30 km to the middle ring (Meechock) and maybe 40 km to the centre. Our house is located at a dead-end road with no through-traffic. Our doors are open day and night, and we have no fears. Lots of soi dogs though, but with a good fence you can keep them out. Mosquitos not worse than Hangdong. Most of our needs we can get from the local Mae Faek busy market, and once a week we drive downtown for the rest. Sansai hospital 15 minutes away. Many good restaurants in the nearby Mae Rim. We feel absolutely happy here and would never consider to return to the downtown city. Just avoid rush hours for driving.

• Like 1

We lived in the city of Udon for 2 years, then bought a piece of land 18km outside the city.  At first, when we built our house, there was no TOT lines, no city water, and the electricity dropped to 160 in the early evening hours.  

Slowly but surely things improved.  The 2 lane road a km away from our house was widened to 4.  After 2 years we finally got a TOT phone and dial up service, then ADSL, now fiber optic.  Power along the highway improved and a transformer was put in not far from our home.  

Our home is nestled away about 300m off a side road from the highway.  No through traffic.  Our nearest neighbor is a Swiss guy who owns 11 rai.  As far as we're concerned, we're in paradise.  We're close enough to the city to run into town if only for a bowl of soup.

We have far fewer mosquitoes than we did when we lived downtown in a subdivision.  We have 20+ varieties of birds, squirrels, mongoose, and yes, snakes, too!  But in the evening we have fireflies and a sky full of stars.

But.......I know of several expats who live in country settings with poor electric, poor roads, poor internet, or too close to neighbors.

In answer to your question......living in the 'countryside' isn't necessarily going to fix your problems.  We were extremely fortunate that things worked out.....but could easily have picked a bad spot where we never saw improvements.

Good luck to your search.

• Like 2

Brief trips are nice but home is home and we find ways to adapt. 

I've recently moved to a house that I had built on a rai amongst the Lamyai orchards at the southern end of Saraphi. It's only 20kms to the city but a world of difference - so far I am loving the peace and quiet; no dogs barking or roosters crowing, nearest neighbour maybe 100m or so.

I'm also enjoying only seeing the occasional plane high in the sky, and there sure are seemingly a lot fewer mosquitoes. I hope I continue to enjoy it so much.

From conversations with the locals it seems that there is more theft than in the city so since I oork and leave the place unattended in the day we are installing CCTV. I don't really like doing it (I don't like how they look), but if it keeps the local drunks from breaking in for whisky money then so be it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Does everyone leave during the burning season? Or just tough it out? I was in CM for a few weeks a few Aprils ago and it was pretty intense.

You never seen a bad year for forest fires in Canada ?

CNX can't hold a candle

Lots of "countryside" 20 to 30 minutes outside the city.

I stay in Mae Rim like it a lot.  Very quiet. They are adding restaurants and coffee places.

But, I have a motorbike very easy to get into the city.

With a car, not so much the 107 has its issues.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

I love Chiang Mai, but no one with options should stay there during the first five months of the year.

Truly a shame and will never change.

• Like 1

Country roads..take me home..to the place..I belong.......pass the sangsom n ginger ale..dropped my lime

• Like 1

I initially moved here was was at the 'close in' side of San Kampaeng.. Good connecton to the city on the 1317 and apart from rice field insects (be aware of this near any rice paddy) was decent.. At that time I came into the city maybe 3 nights a week and it was the right distance / balance. Over time build up and the end of good relations with my farang landlord and I needed a move. 

I REALLY like the balance of life out on canal rd past Samoeng junction. I can be in the city on 25 mins on a motorbike but I go out far less than I used to. If anything over time I could see myself being happy further and further out as the difference between 30 mins in a car or 45 mins in a car a couple of times a week, doesnt effect my life nearly as much as day after day night after night of roosters, crickets and frogs. I am a bit of a country boy and that soundtrack makes my life feel peaceful. The land out here is rolling hills and the mossie thing is less of a plague at sunset than it was in SKP. 

I think I would also be happy in 'outer' Mae Rim or Mae Sa, in the Doi Saket that goes back to the dam, reservoir, farther down samoeng rd, or even perhaps out to Mae Wang or On Tai as suggested above. Those last 2 would be a different life balance tho and city would be more like 45 to 1 hour away and lack a lot of restaurants and things I now go to.

The balance for what fits is deeply personal, and changes as both you and the environment change. I admit that I now have much more of an wary eye on how a place is likely to expand or not than I used to. Eg inside Samoeng rd, which I used to see as highly desirable, looks like it will be solid suburbia very soon. 

• Like 2