No Plastic Bag Initiative in Hat Yai

recom273

Fair play to the owner of Siam Nakrian .. but I had to laugh to myself.

I popped in and picked up some markers and a few bits.

After i pair, I was handed my armful assortment of bits, errr .. ”Can I have a bag?” - No.

it seems that you can have a big paper envelope style thing, but no small bags. I unpackaged everything, stuffed it into my pockets then unwrapped the masking tape and wore it on my wrists for the ride home. 

So be warned, use a bike with a basket, a car, and take your own bag.

• 4 weeks later...

The wife told me plastic bags are no longer available at Big C, Klong Hae.

It sounds like chaos, there is some reusable plastic bag available (maybe a nylon shopping bag) for purchase at the tills but lots of confused people again walking from the tills with armfuls of shopping.

After searching the web it may be just one week a month or it could be a continual program, not too sure.

10 hours ago, recom273 said:

The wife told me plastic bags are no longer available at Big C, Klong Hae.

Caught out last month in Big-C Extra, but it's only every Tuesday. Luckily we'd bought some bin liners so the wife used a couple of those. Tops is the same, bag free every Tuesday, though at least Tops have heavy duty reusable bags on sale, Big-C cashiers were left just having to apologise, as no one had thought through the consequences.

22 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Caught out last month in Big-C Extra, but it's only every Tuesday. Luckily we'd bought some bin liners so the wife used a couple of those. Tops is the same, bag free every Tuesday, though at least Tops have heavy duty reusable bags on sale, Big-C cashiers were left just having to apologise, as no one had thought through the consequences.

Really? The wife went on Sunday, and she got the impression it was forever more.

Im actually glad this is all happening, but I think the implementation is kind of wrong. I just bought some big blue IKEA bags o. Lazada, I can load them up Inside the trolley and swing it straight into the boot or sidecar instead of grabbing handfuls if bags. Then repeat when I get home.

I feel sorry for the guys that would hang a dozen bags on their wing mirrors, the country isn’t set up for this. 

51 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Really?

I'm pretty sure that's what they said, but we're back there tomorrow, so see what the latest story is. Thanks for the tip on the Ikea bags, just ordered 3, get one free. Likewise, I think it's long overdue, but as you say, implementation is p1ss poor.

Let’s see what’s happening at Klong Hae next time, I hope this brings about some real change and understanding.

The IKEA bags arrived today, we can use them all the time we take the sidecar. 

If I’m on my bike then I will carry a backpack to put the shopping in - over the years I have had times when security are hanging off my bag or trying to block my way, telling me to put it into the bag check.

Then times when I have the shopping in plastic bags then gone to the bag check to transfer to my backpack, handed the plastic bags to the cashiers who threw them in the bin. 

Hats off to a TOPS, they understand.

55 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Today at Tesco. 

Paper bag. No plastic. No problem. 

37 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Hats off to a TOPS, they understand.

Sadly Big C still hadn't put alternatives in place, no re-usable bag options available, or indeed paper bags. I watched various customers go out juggling items. We'd remembered to bring some bags with us.

Poor security staff were clearly agitated and perplexed, left wondering what has been purchased, and what might not have been.

5 minutes ago, Stocky said:

.. Poor staff security were clearly agitated and perplexed, left wondering what has been purchased, and what might not have been.

I had to laugh at that .. 

At least at Klong Hae they have nylon shopping bags available.

It might be a good time to buy a box of IKEA bags and setup shop in the carpark.

On 12/2/2019 at 3:08 PM, Stocky said:

Big-C Extra in Pattaya had plastic bags yesterday Tuesday. ???? Tops in Pattaya Central has no bags on Tuesdays and on every 4th of the month. ????

12 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Big-C Extra in Pattaya had plastic bags yesterday Tuesday. ???? Tops in Pattaya Central has no bags on Tuesdays and on every 4th of the month. ????

Thankfully we don't live in Pattaya.

I support the effort; it's gonna be a bit of a shock to wean people here off their crazy overuse of plastic bags...However, the specific time restrictions could get annoying in the same way that the idiotic alcohol sales times restrictions are. [don't get me going on that one!]

The real test will be if they can get this to work in wet markets, mom-and-pop shops and the like. Anyway, I'll bring a supply of plastic bags with me next time I go to the big city. ????

The wife went to Big C Klong Hae twi days ago. The express checkouts, less than 10 items have removed bags,  bring your own or carry the items. The other tills still hold plastic bags apart from these special days.

1 hour ago, phuketsub said:

I support the effort; it's gonna be a bit of a shock to wean people here off their crazy overuse of plastic bags...However, the specific time restrictions could get annoying in the same way that the idiotic alcohol sales times restrictions are. [don't get me going on that one!]

The real test will be if they can get this to work in wet markets, mom-and-pop shops and the like. Anyway, I'll bring a supply of plastic bags with me next time I go to the big city. ????

It was never like this as a kid in the UK. Sainsburys wasn’t a big superstore, it was a small shop and we went to the market after where the sellers would sell the fruit and veg by the weight and tip the scoop into a paper bag, give it a twist and put it in your shopping bag, that wasn’t green or environmentally friendly, that was normal. 

I would also question the environmental impact of those paper bags that tesco supplies, that’s not local wood pulp, wouldn’t it be dragged from Scandinavia or Russia (maybe China?) by boat that uses diesel.

I fear this is just lip service, just by stuffing a paper bag with the plastic containers has no effect in Asia (a different situation to europe) I would suggest the real issue is, the mismanagement of waste and the poor environmental education with it mass plastic consumption. Still, any measure is a welcome measure, I guess.

Archived