Is it better to be born now or then?

ivor bigun

15 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

plenty of things in modern life are good,trouble is ,todays young will never know how good it was back in the "bad old days"

Even I didn't know how good it was back then, while I was living it. That's the problem with life- it keeps changing. Just when one thinks it can't be any better, it changes and is worse. I was a kid and life was good, then I became an adult and it wasn't so good.

I joined up and travelled the world, and that was great, then the Soviet Union died and the military lost it's reason to exist and it sucked, so that ended. Then I went nursing and travelled the world and that was great, but too many bullies in nursing so I got out of that too. Then I went to live in Thailand and that was excellent, but I married the wrong woman and that ended too.

So, now when things are pretty good, and I'm thinking that life ain't too bad, in the back of my mind I'm always expecting it to turn to <deleted>. Pity

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Even I didn't know how good it was back then, while I was living it. That's the problem with life- it keeps changing. Just when one thinks it can't be any better, it changes and is worse. I was a kid and life was good, then I became an adult and it wasn't so good.

Funny how people remember their childhoods as good.

I remember large swathes of boredom interspersed with a few bullying events.

My life didn't really start until I discovered sex at age 17, then my life was mainly ruled by frustration.

It was only after age 52 when I was being divorced and moved to Thailand that my enjoyment of life finally began.

Last ten years have been the most enjoyable of my life filled with adventure, sun, sea, sex, jungle and mountains.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I used to drive long distances I'd go like the clappers to get to the destination, but I missed all the wonderful scenery along the way. 

IMO we are so busy living that we forget to enjoy the good stuff.  I'm trying to change that now.

best way is to retrace your journey, on a bicycle... 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Funny how people remember their childhoods as good.

I remember large swathes of boredom interspersed with a few bullying events.

My life didn't really start until I discovered sex at age 17, then my life was mainly ruled by frustration.

It was only after age 52 when I was being divorced and moved to Thailand that my enjoyment of life finally began.

Last ten years have been the most enjoyable of my life filled with adventure, sun, sea, sex, jungle and mountains.

I went to boarding school. Our lives were always full of activity. We had very little time to be bored. I was bored on holidays, because I was a kid and was not self motivated. That got solved when I started doing holiday jobs.

I never get bored now as I have more to do than I'll have time before I peg it.

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think not. The drives were 7 hours long at full speed- 100kph, with one petrol stop . How long would that take on a bicycle? Lots of really steep hills too. 

My only relative comparison was the 200+km (each way) Return rides between Penang and Hatyai - and that was 10 hours each way

Guess you'd really need to break a ride into sections...or be ready to sweat 4 days of your life! 

On 11/15/2019 at 12:56 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I went to boarding school. Our lives were always full of activity. We had very little time to be bored. I was bored on holidays, because I was a kid and was not self motivated. That got solved when I started doing holiday jobs.

"I never get bored now as I have more to do than I'll have time before I peg it."....

Considering how much time you spend on this forum I'd say you'd be extremely bored if you'd take a break from it for a month or so.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:56 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I was a day boy at a boarding school ,got into trouble for buying sweets ,taking them into school and selling them at a profit but for less than in the tuck shop????

1 hour ago, tifino said:

Pg9%20Shop.jpg 

With a diet like that you must be 350 lbs and a diabetic by now not to mention all the other health related issues. Did you not have parents that regulated your intake of junk food? I'm assuming that the "cold drink" wasn't a beer but if it was more power to you. ???? 

On 11/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, HuskerDo said:

"I never get bored now as I have more to do than I'll have time before I peg it."....

Considering how much time you spend on this forum I'd say you'd be extremely bored if you'd take a break from it for a month or so.

During my last year in LOS I lived in an hotel and had nothing to do except watch tv and come on TVF, so I spent a lot of time on it.

I spend very little time on it now, in comparison, but I make the time as it's my only link to the country I love. I average about 3 days a week.

I have a lot to do otherwise, but I'm not particularly stressed that I'm not doing it when on here, as when I'm dead in the not too far distant future it won't make any difference to me if I didn't get around to doing it.

8 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

With a diet like that you must be 350 lbs and a diabetic by now not to mention all the other health related issues. Did you not have parents that regulated your intake of junk food? I'm assuming that the "cold drink" wasn't a beer but if it was more power to you. ???? 

Hint- he didn't make the photo. Is that what they call a meme?

I ate loads of sweets when I was a kid, but we were so active it got burnt off fast.

If I just look at Russian fudge now I put on a kilo.

8 hours ago, tifino said:

the old days of black and white tv weren't that bad

Page%203%20F-111.JPG p.s. Bring back the F-111  I say! 

The Avengers with Mrs Peel was b & w and better than when they went colour.

Those lovely war planes- Phantom, Vulcan, Convair, Blackbird etc were beautiful works of mechanical art and their like will not be seen again. F35- yuch, and they've got a cheek calling it a "Lightning" which was a beautiful war plane.

Archived