Rees-Mogg says 'common sense' could have saved Grenfell victims

snoop1130

Rees-Mogg says 'common sense' could have saved Grenfell victims

8623.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Flames and smoke billow as firefighters deal with a serious fire in the Grenfell Tower apartment block at Latimer Road in West London, Britain June 14, 2017. REUTERS/Toby Melville/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Prominent Conservative lawmaker Jacob Rees-Mogg drew criticism on Tuesday after he suggested that victims of the Grenfell Tower fire could have used common sense to ignore the instructions of the fire service and leave the burning building.

An official inquiry into the catastrophic chain of events in June 2017 that turned an ordinary kitchen fire into an inferno that killed 71 people last week found that combustible cladding contributed to the tragedy, and also questioned fire brigade advice that residents should stay put.

“If you just ignore what you’re told and leave, you are so much safer,” Rees-Mogg, leader of the UK House of Commons, told LBC radio in an interview on Monday.

“And I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building. It just seems the common sense thing to do.”

Families of the victims and opposition lawmakers criticised the remarks, with Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn labelling the comments “crass and insensitive” and calling for an apology.

“What possesses someone to react to an entirely avoidable tragedy like Grenfell by saying the victims lacked common sense? People were terrified, many died trying to escape,” Corbyn said.

Rees-Mogg on Tuesday said he “profoundly apologised” for upsetting survivors and victims’ relatives.

He said he had meant to say he also would have followed the fire brigade’s advice at the time, but with hindsight following the tragedy it was clear the advice went against common sense.

“What’s so sad is that the advice given overrides common sense because everybody would want to leave a burning building,” he said in comments reported by the Evening Standard.

“I would hate to upset the people of Grenfell if I was unclear in my comments. With hindsight and after reading the report no one would follow that advice. That’s the great tragedy.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-05

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The 'stick to beat him with' brigade will milk this simply because he's a brexiter. His comments were perhaps ill advised but he has subsequently apologized.

Is the criticism because he is a Brexiteer or because he represents so much of what is wrong with British politics and British society?

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prominent Conservative lawmaker Jacob Rees-Mogg drew criticism on Tuesday after he suggested that victims of the Grenfell Tower fire could have used common sense to ignore the instructions of the fire service and leave the burning building

What a despicable piece of detritus this man is. 

15 minutes ago, elliss said:

There is no financial gain to be made in common sense . 

But one with common sense should wonder, If this boob's faulty thinking would lead him to this statement, what other idiotic ideas does he have, and do I want him managing the affairs of my district?

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

The 'stick to beat him with' brigade will milk this simply because he's a brexiter. His comments were perhaps ill advised but he has subsequently apologized.

Did he apologize only for this particular  slip of the tongue, or did he apologize for being  a hiso etonian tory in general?

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

"Perhaps ill advised"? Have you lost all dignity and integrity? Did someone advise him to say this?

Those buffoons(Boris and Jacob) are making laughing stocks of us. If that is what is considered British, god help us.

44 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Did he apologize only for this particular  slip of the tongue, or did he apologize for being  a hiso etonian tory in general?

Not sure of all the facts in this particular incident but why should anyone apologise for being who they are? Should I apologise for being ozzie.

Apologise for having an education?

Apologise for being a hiso etonian tory?

You've lost me to be honest.

People are who they are.

9 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Not sure of all the facts in this particular incident but why should anyone apologise for being who they are? Should I apologise for being ozzie.

Apologise for having an education?

Apologise for being a hiso etonian tory?

You've lost me to be honest.

People are who they are.

He could have said:

Sorry, but I am just an elitist hiso etonian tory, and for those reasons not responsible for the stupidities I utter.

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Will you apologise for being a low class poor hippy ?

Actually, I was a macro economics teacher - but yes, I never forgot my father was a postman and my mother a housewife.

PS. Do you concider Neil Young to be a low class poor hippy?

Oops, edit: not a low class teacher, but a lecturer.

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

He could have said:

Sorry, but I am just an elitist hiso etonian tory, and for those reasons not responsible for the stupidities I utter.

Alternatively you could have said I am so sorry and feel a gut wrenching sadness for the people who died in the fire and will do my utmost, with every fibre of my being, to make sure this never happens again.

But you didn't. You just took the <deleted> out of someone who, when I think about it some more, was probably right in what he said. I, myself have ignored firefighters instructions in bush fires in Australia. And will do so again if I think they are wrong.

Obviously you are playing politics here.

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Actually, I was a macro economics teacher - but yes, I never forgot my father was a postman and my mother a housewife.

PS. Do you concider Neil Young to be a low class poor hippy?

Oops, edit: not a low class teacher, but a lecturer.

Still teaching the low class nonsense? Rich is bad...poor is good...stay poor children. Mummy Uk will take care of you. How Mummy? Shh don't you worry your pretty heads about that. Mummy will take the money from the rich people. How can I be rich mummy..shhhhh….don't ever think about that. Mummy...yes child...where have all the rich people gone?

22 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

He could have said:

Well why aren't you in politics challenging him? Too much hard work for a macro economics teacher whatever that is?

I hate the politics of envy and have generally found it backfires with the younger generation.

They tend to see through the vitriol and venom. Good luck with Labour getting back in.

They were supposed to be a shoo in in the last Aussie election according to all reports. They got sat on their @rse big time. I expect the same result in the UK.

27 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Well why aren't you in politics challenging him? Too much hard work for a macro economics teacher whatever that is?

I hate the politics of envy and have generally found it backfires with the younger generation.

They tend to see through the vitriol and venom. Good luck with Labour getting back in.

They were supposed to be a shoo in in the last Aussie election according to all reports. They got sat on their @rse big time. I expect the same result in the UK.

Well why aren't you in politics challenging him? I have no voting rights in that part of Europe.

a macro economics teacher whatever that is? Google?

Good luck with Labour getting back in. You talking to me?

I hate the politics of envy. Then change the system, so that there is no more need for envy.

46 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Still teaching the low class nonsense? Rich is bad...poor is good...stay poor children. Mummy Uk will take care of you. How Mummy? Shh don't you worry your pretty heads about that. Mummy will take the money from the rich people. How can I be rich mummy..shhhhh….don't ever think about that. Mummy...yes child...where have all the rich people gone?

With each post you become more ridiculous. You were the only one who used the word rich. Rich has nothing to do with it. Being odious and totally removed from any kind of normality is what concerns us here.

The way he behaved in Parliament. The words he has uttered here. The man is an utter moron. 

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Jacob was probably right, talking about the fire service. Problem is people stick to procedures even if common sense indicates people should be evacuated.

Even fire service have said in hindsight they should have been evacuated

Difficult call .

You would expect that the fire brigade knew what they were talking about and you would do as they say  

Archived