Agriculture minister seeks way to control rice blast disease in Northeast

snoop1130

Agriculture minister seeks way to control rice blast disease in Northeast

By THE NATION

800_562769bc95fadb5.jpg

Chalermchai Sreeon

Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Chalermchai Sreeon has ordered the Department of Agriculture, the Rice Department and the Department of Agriculture Extension to look for a way to control an outbreak of rice blast disease scourging northeastern provinces.

“Rice blast fungus has spread to the Thung Kula Ronghai region covering five provinces, which is an important area for growing jasmine rice,” the minister said. 

“To deal with this disease, the Rice Department has in the past used Trichoderma, the fungus which can eliminate other fungi. However, as the disease has spread across a huge area, fungicide should be used to prevent further damage.”

The damaged area covers 295,740 rai in Surin, 113,715 rai in Srisaket, 20,050 rai in Roi Et, 5,018 rai in Maha Sarakham, and 181 rai so far in Ubon Ratchathani, Rice Department director-general Sudsakorn Pattarakulnit said.

His department has already distributed Trichoderma to farmers growing jasmine rice near the diseased area.

Meanwhile, 29 tonnes of Trichoderma was allocated to Surin, 8 tonnes to Srisaket, 2 tonnes to Roi Et and 1.6 tonnes to Maha Sarakham.

The director-general has surveyed the damage caused by rice blast and evaluated the situation with other relevant agencies and provincial governors, according to the minister’s order. 

“To keep the situation from getting worse, the government will distribute fungicide to farmers and instruct them to use it in proper amounts and with safety,” Sudsakorn said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378094

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-05

Just now, justin case said:

Is Trichoderma toxic? One species in this genus, Trichoderma longibrachiatum, is extremely harmful and toxic to humans. It produces toxic peptides called trilongins, which aren't commonly found in protein amino acids.

Correct, but I will have to check the species used in composting and field work by the Agri Department. That one is safe (I think?) and has been used here for blast outbreaks before. 

I don't want to use fungicides. The issue is the blast spores remain dormant in the soil and on residues and getting rid of them biologically prior to next year is the aim.

We were told to take fotos of our rice to the village big lady. It was diagnosed as being infected (Rice 105) a few weeks ago. What happens now, we have no idea, some harvesting has already begun and we have no idea what will happen to the rice.

2 hours ago, cooked said:

We were told to take fotos of our rice to the village big lady. It was diagnosed as being infected (Rice 105) a few weeks ago. What happens now, we have no idea, some harvesting has already begun and we have no idea what will happen to the rice.

The story here is it gets sold as usual but at reduced price. Government assistance available for those that lacked water to grow any. The infection is worse with a lack of water but no cigar on help. The normal disclaimers apply on whether this is true or not.

Is rice 105 the same as blast?

This morning got a wake up announcement by the PuiYai as Cooked had got. Stating that pictures should be taken of damaged rice. Apparently some-one from the Amphur will come take a look and decide if you can get compensated. The talk is that it would need to be very bad to get any help. 

"Same procedure as every year"...  except we already heard that kilo prices will be very low, no gold for the wife this year I guess.

My wife (who incidentally could see this developing just driving by in the car about a month ago, long before we got official notice) showed me rice blast yesterday: most noticeable on the leaves at first but some of the panicles were white as snow. Once you've seen it, you know it, and see it everywhere. I couldn't really see any difference in the harvested rice, the grains may be a little less plump than usual, we also have about one third less on the road than usual.  Anyway it seems to be the variety being harvested first everywhere, 

The shorter Mali crop is being harvested here. We grow the heavier (tall) variety and it is due to harvest in a few weeks. Both are effected. 

The difference being in a year with a lot of rain, the shorter version suffers being drowned in our location. Next year I will need to decide which to grow as the disadvantage with the tall stuff is it lodges easily and more often as the winds in November are usually stronger. 

Archived