Fake silicone fingerprints used to get tourists into condo block, claim angry residents

webfact

Fake silicone fingerprints used to get tourists into condo block, claim angry residents

3pm.jpg

Thai caption: Fake silicone fingerprints

Residents of a condo development in Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok have claimed that fake silicone fingerprints are being used to get tourists into the building bypassing security systems. 

This is allegedly happening at a block where earlier in the year there were complaints about Chinese tour groups illegally being allowed to rent by the day. 

They were using the condo in Ekamai (Soi 63) just like a hotel, something that has angered residents.

The claims that the "finger scan" security was being compromised appeared on Facebook on a site called "Condo Dark Side" said Sanook. 

The post said that the Juristic Person had done nothing to address the concerns of residents since midyear. 

A meeting was being planned to sack them.

The post suggested that Wattana district officials and immigration should visit the block again. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-06

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, impulse said:

If I rented a room online and found out that I needed a fake fingerprint to get in, I think I'd find somewhere else to stay.

Yes, but you are a rich Westerner, the kind who they don't want here any more.  Honest folk like you are NOT the target audience!  There are numerous ethnic groups who are the tourist target now, some few???? of whom might not share your moral scruples to save a buck. Or some other overseas currency,..... perhaps!! 

IF (Big If) it is true that fake fingerprints can defeat scanners ... this is a game changer for many, many systems ... Office buildings, airports, condos ... front doors on SO many places!  Mind boggling.  

19 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

IF (Big If) it is true that fake fingerprints can defeat scanners ... this is a game changer for many, many systems ... Office buildings, airports, condos ... front doors on SO many places!  Mind boggling.  

There is no doubt it would work, unless the scanners were temperature sensitive, and even then keeping the silicon somewhere nice and warm would likely bypass that. 

As for airports, you need to place your hands on the device in front of an officer, so unless alot of effort to create a lifelike glove were made its not feasible. 

Also, the silicone finger needs to be made from an impression of an actual finger as the scanner scans the ridges, not easily done without the owners knowledge. 

In fact about as difficult or more difficult than having a key cut on the sly, or duplicating a key card - it is possible, but neither practical nor likely without consent or ninja skillz

18 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

But the first thing you need is for someone with authorized fingerprints to allow you to make a silicone copy.  And to be responsible for any time the copy is abused, because it's traceable back to them.  I don't think it's as dire as all that.

Or you can go the Mission Impossible way and take a copy while they're knocked out and sleeping...

1 hour ago, bangkokequity said:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/30/hacker-fakes-german-ministers-fingerprints-using-photos-of-her-hands

Of course it works.

Biometrics can never work for authentication, everyone telling you otherwise is a charlatan. It's an inherently bad system, a password you can change but your fingerprints you can't, once they are stolen you are rekt.

Biometrics are the next stupid thing after IOT and Smart homes, everyone working in IT security is warning since decades but the masses are just too braindead so it falls on deaf ears...

1 hour ago, bangkokequity said:

Only if you can get hold of the original fingers in order to get perfect impressions of the prints.

22 minutes ago, LALes said:

This is what happens when "hotel" sites like Air BnB are allowed to operate with out impunity.  No regard for condo owners.  Just make as much as you can.

Neighbors be damned.

"...when "hotel" sites like Air BnB are allowed to operate with out impunity".

Huh?  Operating "with out impunity" [sic] would be a bit onerous.

36 minutes ago, LALes said:

This is what happens when "hotel" sites like Air BnB are allowed to operate with out impunity.  No regard for condo owners.  Just make as much as you can.

Neighbors be damned.

AirBnB is just a booking platform and it is not the only one. You have to punish the people renting out the rooms if they don't obey laws. Instead of using AirBnB they also could advertise in a newspaper or create their own website. 

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

There is no doubt it would work, unless the scanners were temperature sensitive, and even then keeping the silicon somewhere nice and warm would likely bypass that. 

As for airports, you need to place your hands on the device in front of an officer, so unless alot of effort to create a lifelike glove were made its not feasible. 

Also, the silicone finger needs to be made from an impression of an actual finger as the scanner scans the ridges, not easily done without the owners knowledge. 

In fact about as difficult or more difficult than having a key cut on the sly, or duplicating a key card - it is possible, but neither practical nor likely without consent or ninja skillz

These are all good points ... however ... I was looking at the next step ... simply gaining a fingerprint ... ans using technology to duplicate it in a way a scanner would accept it.  I do see that as an achievable task ... if the prize is worth the effort.  However, in this context, have to say you are spot on and will only work if someone gives you the finger.  oh wait ... that did not come out right!

47 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Only if you can get hold of the original fingers in order to get perfect impressions of the prints.

That's what our superior politicians said, and then they got rekt: https://www.wired.com/2008/03/hackers-publish/

Now everyone has his finterprints. It's extremely easy to copy a fingerprint, can be even done from photos. Zero security - unlike a proper access card.

You can even create masterkeys that work with all of these sloppy bs systems...: https://thenextweb.com/artificial-intelligence/2018/11/15/researchers-create-master-key-fingerprints-that-can-fool-biometric-databases/

Everything is broken.

6 hours ago, MartinKal said:

I dont believe the technology exists

Some years ago when this tech was first used to unlock mobiles it was a matter of days or was it a few weeks people had discovered if the put a silicon base on their finger they could open someone else's phone. They found that the last fingerprint would be read, it was that easy and it is not high tech. Just did a quick search: This instruction will show you how to Fool a fingerprint security system as easy as ABC. IBM never want you to know about,. it works for most of the fingerprint security system too. For example: eg. door, mobile phone.... Its just so easy. 

When will immigration raid the Base in Pattaya it’s like a Chinese tour groups in and out hourly there... there’s a sign “no daily rentals” completely ignored. More than a 100 listings in Airbnb. Come on guys, I dropped my listing long ago. Or we must not discourage the Chinese? The listing even say Chinese Spoken only....

I think magnetic key cards could be improved to offer better security. 

Would have to implant a gps chip so owners cannot purchase more by saying "I lost my key card"  and then use it for renting out his condo.

The gps in the magnetic key card would have to be "tied" to owners phone somehow also

No more illegal Booking.com, or AirBnB

8 hours ago, impulse said:

If I rented a room online and found out that I needed a fake fingerprint to get in, I think I'd find somewhere else to stay.

You'll be amazed how far those short term tourists are willing to go for the 'owner' of the facility they are renting. The most common thing we are hearing in our village is that they are 'friends' or 'family' of the owner.

These people are all ignorant.
They have no clue how dangerous it is what they doing. God forbid a fire ever breaks out in those illegal airbnb/daily rental places condo or house. Most of them are very cheaply and quickly renovated because 6-16 people have to be housed for a couple of nights.
Imagine how the electricity system can get easily overloaded with the way things are build here. If something happens, the 'tourist' will be left completely in the dark. No insurances, no official licenses or governmental bodies to complain to or get help from. In the meantime Airbnb and Booking.com(expedia) are laughing all the way to the bank ????

I don't think it matters how many dead tourists this country produces every year. This government will never get of its Behind. Mai Bpen Rai right?

Archived