Fake silicone fingerprints used to get tourists into condo block, claim angry residents

webfact

3 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

With what, retinal scanners? 

They'd just pop out an eye of a resident farang for the Chinese tourists to use. The Chinese tourists are the most important people on earth, anything for them, of course including illegal rentals.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They'd just pop out an eye of a resident farang for the Chinese tourists to use. The Chinese tourists are the most important people on earth, anything for them, of course including illegal rentals.

Ah, yes, of course "they" would. 

8 hours ago, impulse said:

If I rented a room online and found out that I needed a fake fingerprint to get in, I think I'd find somewhere else to stay.

But living in Communist China this is perfectly legit. Imagine Chinese employ all sorts of this nonsense just to live normal lives. Any wonder HK wants no part of PRC?

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Residents of a condo development in Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok have claimed that fake silicone fingerprints are being used to get tourists into the building bypassing security systems. 

Chinese will do anything to rent out their rooms to fellow Chinese. The condo owners are just happy to have sold/rented them out!

5 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

IF (Big If) it is true that fake fingerprints can defeat scanners ... this is a game changer for many, many systems ... Office buildings, airports, condos ... front doors on SO many places!  Mind boggling.  

You're going to need to register the 'fake finger' along with it's fake print in the system first, then it will recognise the same fake print when you want entrance.

I suspect copying someone elses print from a print on a glass would be much much harder, especially with any degree of accuracy.

This happened to us this summer!!! So frustrating!!! We had reserved an AirBNB rental near silom. At last minute, we’d been instructed to pick up keys at 7/11 nearby. Ok, fine. But there were further instructions that there’d be a ‘fingertip glove‘ for the scanner.  I was so angry. But we arrived later at night and they only release key info just prior. AND THE F’ING fingertip wouldn’t work! I was more angry. Our child was travelling with us and was not feeling well. He needed to sleep. We couldn’t access the rental. Security guard said it’s not their problem, call the owner. They wouldn’t let us in. We didn’t understand it was against condo policy when booking. Eventually security walked away and a resident exited, so we were able to get in the open door. We were too tired to go find a hotel so stayed that night and cancelled with AirBNB next morning. There were signs inside that the bldg didn’t welcome short stays. 

20 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I suspect copying someone elses print from a print on a glass would be much much harder, especially with any degree of accuracy.

The Chaos Computer Club followed some German minister and copied their fingerprints from a cup then sold them as a fingerprint kit in a magazine. They did it again a couple years later by using pictures of the defense minister speaking. They also demonstrated how to unlock an iPhone by copying fingerprint mark left by normal phone usage. The link has been posted 3 times in this thread. 

19 minutes ago, chivo said:

This happened to us this summer!!! So frustrating!!! We had reserved an AirBNB rental near silom. At last minute, we’d been instructed to pick up keys at 7/11 nearby. Ok, fine. But there were further instructions that there’d be a ‘fingertip glove‘ for the scanner.  I was so angry. But we arrived later at night and they only release key info just prior. AND THE F’ING fingertip wouldn’t work! I was more angry. Our child was travelling with us and was not feeling well. He needed to sleep. We couldn’t access the rental. Security guard said it’s not their problem, call the owner. They wouldn’t let us in. We didn’t understand it was against condo policy when booking. Eventually security walked away and a resident exited, so we were able to get in the open door. We were too tired to go find a hotel so stayed that night and cancelled with AirBNB next morning. There were signs inside that the bldg didn’t welcome short stays. 

Sorry to hear about your problem. After a long trip all you want to do is get to your place take shower, brush your teeth and if you are not jetlagged get some sleep 

We don't rent out our residences, but we do let friends stay when we are not there, especially our FL home that is near the beach. (our master bedroom and bath with our private stuff is locked),

We have electronic WiFi enabled  locks that open vis a code or smartphone , there is a key in case of power failure. we have the key (for emergencies only) in a lockbox that also opens with a code (similar to the one used by realtors)  .

We simply give the code to our guests and then reset the guest code after they leave.

Perhaps a similar system would be wise. These electronic locks are very inexpensive now days.

At least Circle S Sukhumvit 12 seems to be active Chinese Hotel. One group comes, another one leaves. They use old fashion codes, like stone age stuff. Not sure if it's really resident building like they say or well done front, Chinese owned and managed hotel.

Probably a chinese company renting to chinese tourists and using whatever means possible to circumvent laws for profit.  I once rented a condo from airbnb in bkok and they had a rather elaborate system where you would go to a specific marked bike and use the code to open a lock on the bike which then held your key lol.

13 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

There is no doubt it would work, unless the scanners were temperature sensitive, and even then keeping the silicon somewhere nice and warm would likely bypass that. 

As for airports, you need to place your hands on the device in front of an officer, so unless alot of effort to create a lifelike glove were made its not feasible. 

Also, the silicone finger needs to be made from an impression of an actual finger as the scanner scans the ridges, not easily done without the owners knowledge. 

In fact about as difficult or more difficult than having a key cut on the sly, or duplicating a key card - it is possible, but neither practical nor likely without consent or ninja skillz

Actually.. The fingerprint scanners are not visible to the officers because they are below the line of sight to them behind the counter. So it is possible to do it. 

I still like my former Bangkok condo's solution--condo photo ID and sign-in to use the pool and the gym.  In order to get the ID you need to show your chanote as owner or a long-term rental contract, fill out a form, and provide 2 photos of a certain size.  Doubtful short-term illegal renters would try to go through the process.  So, basically, short-term illegal renters are confined to their rooms and the lobby.  Go to your room and stay there!  You have been bad!

If this reported OP is true, it seems that security entry systems  (or the one in the article at least) must accept mirror-image prints because the impression of a fingerprint made on a lump of silicone has to be turned 180° to face the reader making it the mirror image.  Unless, of course, the reader can detect the print through a few millimetres of silicone.

12 hours ago, The Theory said:

Looking forward to see “eye scanners” soon. Fingers are history.

Newer Samsung phones already have it. Problem is it's not very fast, you have to keep in right position and so on. 

An under skin microchip should do the trick. Make it 15x15cm and half a kilo for the Chinese tourists, inserted at the airport using a rusty spoon.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

If this reported OP is true, it seems that security entry systems  (or the one in the article at least) must accept mirror-image prints because the impression of a fingerprint made on a lump of silicone has to be turned 180° to face the reader making it the mirror image.  Unless, of course, the reader can detect the print through a few millimetres of silicone.

You make a silicone print of the silicone print to reverse it again.

9 hours ago, Selatan said:

Gait recognition combined with facial recognition would probably be the best security system in the near future. 

Somchais are indistinguishable from each other. Same slouch, same languid movements, same look. I think they are clones, sent to earth by evil aliens to "fix" your stuff.

9 minutes ago, DrTuner said:
13 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

You make a silicone print of the silicone print to reverse it again.

Yes, I did think of that, then I thought of how unclear or indistinguishable that 2nd impression of the 1st impression was likely to be.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, I did think of that, then I thought of how unclear or indistinguishable that 2nd impression of the 1st impression was likely to be.

I've done a few fine art silicone casts. As long as air bubbles are vacuumed out, it's pretty impressive how the fine details transfer. Fingerprints should be a piece of cake.

On 11/6/2019 at 1:19 PM, bangkokequity said:

IF (Big If) it is true that fake fingerprints can defeat scanners ... this is a game changer for many, many systems ... Office buildings, airports, condos ... front doors on SO many places!  Mind boggling.  

It's quite easily stopped. 

Security needs to monitor the activity of the scanners. 

If it is noticed that a person is entering many times without leaving the individual can be blocked. 

Archived