Fake silicone fingerprints used to get tourists into condo block, claim angry residents

webfact

5 minutes ago, VYCM said:

It's quite easily stopped. 

Security needs to monitor the activity of the scanners. 

If it is noticed that a person is entering many times without leaving the individual can be blocked. 

Had to implement some system like this with RFID chips to see who was at their office or not. It doesn't work since most people will hold the door to others to be polite. It does work in the military because they have stricter procedure. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Had to implement some system like this with RFID chips to see who was at their office or not. It doesn't work since most people will hold the door to others to be polite. It does work in the military because they have stricter procedure. 

We're talking about a condo block using silicone to gain access by tenants. 

50 minutes ago, VYCM said:

We're talking about a condo block using silicone to gain access by tenants. 

Yes you can't trust the system to track who is in or out via a fingerprint scanner when some user will inevitably hold the door for others on the way in or out. 

The only way the tracking can work is with a gate system like the BTS and a guard that watch nobody jump. Then what happen if you have a guest? They need some kind of pass and you introduce a vulnerability. 

The cheapest solution is a badge with picture to get in and a guard that really check them. 

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Yes you can't trust the system to track who is in or out via a fingerprint scanner when some user will inevitably hold the door for others on the way in or out. 

The only way the tracking can work is with a gate system like the BTS and a guard that watch nobody jump. Then what happen if you have a guest? They need some kind of pass and you introduce a vulnerability. 

The cheapest solution is a badge with picture to get in and a guard that really check them. 

OK, I'll spell it out. 

The scanner has a connection, 232 or something similar so you can log on and view activity. Once the data is downloaded disable the finger print which has been copied and duplicated. 

SIMPLE. 

23 minutes ago, VYCM said:

OK, I'll spell it out. 

The scanner has a connection, 232 or something similar so you can log on and view activity. Once the data is downloaded disable the finger print which has been copied and duplicated. 

SIMPLE. 

He was talking about tailgating.

Person 1 uses fingerprint to open door

Person 2 gets in while 1 holds door open

Person 1 gets in

Not about the communication interface of the scanner device (RS232 hasn't been used since... 90's?).

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

He was talking about tailgating.

Person 1 uses fingerprint to open door

Person 2 gets in while 1 holds door open

Person 1 gets in

Not about the communication interface of the scanner device (RS232 hasn't been used since... 90's?).

Who asked you. 

I was talking about how to get around the problem of silicone copies. Tayaout started the waffling so I gave a solution. 

BTW, RS232 comms is still being used today. I did point out 232 or something similar. 

On 11/6/2019 at 1:37 PM, impulse said:

But the first thing you need is for someone with authorized fingerprints to allow you to make a silicone copy.  And to be responsible for any time the copy is abused, because it's traceable back to them.  I don't think it's as dire as all that.

Or you can go the Mission Impossible way and take a copy while they're knocked out and sleeping...

Surely   ..  the benefactor of the (not really allowed) very short term let ...is the owner of the condo being let. They would be happy to facilatate themselves getting income.  Hotel type income with no hotel type taxation or regs.

Enabling finger print to be copied is simply similar to allowing a copy of your electronic entry card.

Im not sure they would need knocking out. (But I guess your joshing .. just realised and edited)

An active residents association could redress the problem.

Identify the Airb&b apartments then just get genuine  residents to bang on these doors at all times of the day and night and if someone answers ask for Somchai.

Negative reviews would soon pile up.

Could even add some theatrics and ask for Somchai whilst pretending to snort a line , inject a needle ,or smoke a spliff.

2 hours ago, Denim said:

An active residents association could redress the problem.

Identify the Airb&b apartments then just get genuine  residents to bang on these doors at all times of the day and night and if someone answers ask for Somchai.

Negative reviews would soon pile up.

Could even add some theatrics and ask for Somchai whilst pretending to snort a line , inject a needle ,or smoke a spliff.

Perhaps Igor the Debt Collector could pay a visit with his baseball bat too. "If somchai not pay you pay, da?".

On 11/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

To bypass the security guard, fake silicone breasts might do the trick.

If the security scanner had a couple of beers earlier it's entirely possible your trick would work.

I've certainly fallen for it before, and I'm supposedly (?) more intelligent than a scanner!

On 11/8/2019 at 2:24 AM, tabarin said:

That's why eventually, it all be facial r.ecognition / dual combo.

I mentioned in an earlier post that the Bangkok condo my partner and I used to own has required condo photo ID to use the gym and pool--with getting the photo ID not an easy process.  We just found out that they will soon be testing a facial recognition system, as well.

Archived