BANGKOK
brianj1964

O/A visa and insurance experience today

2 hours ago, deej said:

Another quick and incomplete reference ^^^^

with  no  actual  Facts to  support  your view at all.

Just pure speculation.

As for myself i used the affidavits about income etc etc with supporting evidence to comply with the laws of signing the affidavit

which from memory(i can certainly be corrected) could carry a 4 yrs jail sentence if proven to be false

Your dodging quote is 

IMO 

a SLUR to myself .and many Expats who have followed the law to the letter same as myself 

It depends on the country and the person. The one time I got an income affidavit from the US Consulate there wasn't even a suggestion that I show any supporting income evidence. It all seemed ripe for abuse.

• Like 1

A few bickering, baiting, nonsense posts and replies removed.   Please stay on topic. 

Re-post from another thread, and of possible interest re latest status of present topic.

• Thanks 1

I registered and wrote here 4-5 weeks ago and had the benefit of the advise from some senior members.  So let's me wrote my own experience for others info. 

My Non O-A visa was issued on Oct 22, 2019 and noted good to Oct 21, 2020 on my passport   I had deliberately applied in mid-Oct 2019. 

Done nothing about the health insurance, I landed at BKK airport yesterday, Boxing Day 2019.  

The immigration officer at the quere took a long look with obvious facial unease and checked his mobile phone obviously for further info.  I just stood there expressionless and went through such fingerprint procedures and waited. 

After 10+ minutes,  I had heard that stamping click on my passport which was returned and let go.  I took a quick check on my passport before walking through.  Then he told me it had been stamped for 1 year stay.  Indeed he wrote the date DEC 24, 2020 on my passport. 

So Yes,  it had been all good without issue. 

Now I think many members advise is I should arrange a short trip outside Thailand around Oct 15, 2020 and returned immediately in order to max out the longest stay under O-A  visa,  that is around 21 /22 months in my case.  Is this the idea ? 

Also another question,  do I need to report to the IO  every 90 days,  say in late March 2020 and June 2020 ?    

Thanks a lot for your help.

10 minutes ago, sscc said:

I registered and wrote here 4-5 weeks ago and had the benefit of the advise from some senior members.  So let's me wrote my own experience for others info. 

My Non O-A visa was issued on Oct 22, 2019 and noted good to Oct 21, 2020 on my passport   I had deliberately applied in mid-Oct 2019. 

Done nothing about the health insurance, I landed at BKK airport yesterday, Boxing Day 2019.  

The immigration officer at the quere took a long look with obvious facial unease and checked his mobile phone obviously for further info.  I just stood there expressionless and went through such fingerprint procedures and waited. 

After 10+ minutes,  I had heard that stamping click on my passport which was returned and let go.  I took a quick check on my passport before walking through.  Then he told me it had been stamped for 1 year stay.  Indeed he wrote the date DEC 24, 2020 on my passport. 

Now I think many members advise is I should arrange a short trip outside Thailand around Oct 15, 2020 and returned immediately in order to max out the longest stay under O-A  visa,  that is around 21 /22 months in my case.  Is this the idea ? 

Also another question,  do I need to report to the IO  every 90 days,  say in late March 2020 and June 2020 ?    

Yes, a trip out and back before 21 oct 2020 should gain you another 12 months. Hopefully you will encounter an IO who doesn't think you require insurance.

Any foreigner who stays continuously in Thailand for 90 days needs to report. Your first one will be due on 25 march 2020. They will supply a slip with the next date after that. 

37 minutes ago, sscc said:

If you are looking for advice I would say no. Do not get the additional year. At least not deliberately. Of course you timed your O-A visa application so that you would not need to purchase insurance. You will eventually need Thai insurance when you apply for a 1 year extension. Why wait? At the end of your first year switch to a non-O visa. Get insurance but do it on your own terms.

You report if you are in the country a continuous 90 days. If you leave and re-enter then the clock starts again. It will depend on your international travel during your first year.

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Martyp said:

If you are looking for advice I would say no. Do not get the additional year.

Why?

Insurance will not be required until he applies for an extension.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

Insurance will not be required until he applies for an extension.

I think I said that. I’m just advising to switch sooner rather than later. He has a year to think about it. Some people wouldn’t advise getting an O-A these days but he did it anyway.

enjoy your two years, and pat yourself on the back.. No one knows what will happen, when thousands convert to O...heck, the IO even told an older us guy to convert.  Perfectly legal, but that was not the intent of the new regulation.

21 hours ago, Martyp said:

I think I said that. I’m just advising to switch sooner rather than later. He has a year to think about it. Some people wouldn’t advise getting an O-A these days but he did it anyway.

He also can have another year when he won't have to buy worthless Thai Health insurance, and he can think about that as well as saving a bunch of Baht 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sscc said:

Thanks for the report, perhaps the most recent on the subject. Good to hear they're still adhering to the executive decision they made to grant one year entry, less encouraging that it took them 10+ minutes to get there.

22 hours ago, Martyp said:

If you are looking for advice I would say no. Do not get the additional year.

Front runner for the "worst advice in the entire thread" award. 

19 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

He also can have another year when he won't have to buy worthless Thai Health insurance, and he can think about that as well as saving a bunch of Baht 

also gives 20 months+ to get your 800k over here, and a decent chance for the THB to weaken which it usually does..Of course, if you like dog and pony shows, you can prove and document your income/transfers to their satisfaction.