O/A visa and insurance experience today

3 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

I'm 55 Sheryl so I'm expecting a good price, it's difficult looking on my phone I will investigate my options when I get computer access in Pattaya in 3 days.

i was planning permanent retirement here but I didn't anticipate this when I retired in May. I always thought that's what the 800,000 was for previously 

do I have any other options to live here permanently without insurance? Visa wise?

A Non-Immigrant O Visa with annual extensions doesn't require a health insurance. And you can get an insurance from a thai company with better coverage for a lower price compared to the Long Stay Visa health insurances companies now are selling to O-A Visa holders.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

I'm 55 Sheryl so I'm expecting a good price, it's difficult looking on my phone I will investigate my options when I get computer access in Pattaya in 3 days.

i was planning permanent retirement here but I didn't anticipate this when I retired in May. I always thought that's what the 800,000 was for previously 

do I have any other options to live here permanently without insurance? Visa wise?

If your wife is Thai then yes, you could do annual extensions of stay based on marriage after first getting a non-O (not O-A) visa. There is no insurance requirement for marriage extensions.

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

A Non-Immigrant O Visa with annual extensions doesn't require a health insurance. And you can get an insurance from a thai company with better coverage for a lower price compared to the Long Stay Visa health insurances companies now are selling to O-A Visa holders.

And even  from a foreign one (expat policy)

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Interesting statement. A person with an unused Non-Imm-OA, gets a 30 day stamp,  and can go to immigration in Thailand and get a 12 month stamp later. As I have said, this may explain why  insurance is mentioned in the police order relating to retirement extensions. 

This was one of the potential options I suggested IOs may take. 

I am in the camp that over time IOs will need to see insurance at borders, there may be a soft start, but later this year, when they are routinely denying entry without it, the arbitrary issue date will be forgotten IMO. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well that potential issue will be timed out fairly quickly as OA visas issued before October 31 all become used. 

'Fairly quickly' equal to '1 year'.. 

Its the backlog of OAs that this may apply to.. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Elsewhere it has been reported that Embassies were being asked to provide feedback on the new system requiring insurance.

Of course they did not do anything wrong but, as they have issued visas to people based on the understanding that the insurance was not required before the 31st,  they need to know that some  Immigration officers at airports are enforcing the requirement on people with visas issued earlier.

We have had many reports of people holding O-As issued by this Embassy prior to Oct 31 calling them to see if they would have a problem and being told no. At a minimum the Embassy might advise otherwise given this information. But they won't know if not told.

They do have channels open to them to report the problem.

The tighter the feedback the more intelligent the system!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chiller said:

My friend has just arrived here today from London with a Non Imm O-A Visa issued in London in September 2019 and has been told he requires insurance. He has been stamped in for 30 days and told to get insurance if he wants to make use of his Visa. 

Do you know which airport he arrived at?

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Agree with the first part but definitely not the last.

Non-O with annual extensions and get real, meaningful insurance. Not this 400/40 nonsense. 

Sorry. I meant what you said. Get a visa and extension that doesn’t require insurance then get real insurance.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It wasn't like the OP's case involved a single wild hair rogue officer at some distant outpost. Based on his account above, he was FIRST stopped by the regular entry processing officer at the international airport who had looked at his O-A stamp and didn't stamp him thru, and then SECOND sent to some other desk where he was told specifically by presumably a different officer that he needed to have health insurance.

Perhaps, Immigration does understand the instructions they've been given, and it's some folks here who don't!  Just saying, perhaps....

yeah i tend to agree, the idea that this has all been grandfathered in without actually having a grandfather clause is a tad presumptuous 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

however when I represented the visa at the desk the young woman stamped it for 12 months minus 2 days.

Confused. In the OP, he was told he was only being given 30 days but when he was finally stamped in he got the full year. Doesn't that mean he was admitted on the OA visa for a year? In which case, he might get away without buying insurance, at least for a year? Or he'll get nailed when he does 90 day reporting?

24 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Missing the point.  Health insurance is a great thing to have......getting overcharged for poorly designed health insurance with inadequate coverage is not a great thing.  That's the issue for many.  

Have not had to use my inpatient insurance, but have had good care as an outpatient at several different hospitals here in Thailand

My viewpoint is from the U.S. health care system, especially after the ACA was enacted (Obamacare)

Much higher prices than thailand and less coverage for the price. 

Am not quite old enough for Medicare but even then I will have to pay ~ 5000 baht a month and average wait time in the U.S. is 26-43 days to see a doctor. 

Very likely that Canada, UK, Australia, and the EU are better than the U.S. and Thailand in health care

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

The problem is there is no chain of information.

The ''boss' of the local office meets his troop a morning

and says ''from today OA visa need insurance, have a nice day''

and that's all

and no one can question him for fear of either parties loss of face.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianj1964 said:

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

If your wife is Thai then yes, you could do annual extensions of stay based on marriage after first getting a non-O (not O-A) visa. There is no insurance requirement for marriage extensions.

You can get a Non O Visa based on marriage when you are married with a Thai wife. 

But you can ALSO get a Non O Visa based on retirement when +55 years of age (as well as meeting the other requirements).

In both cases the thai-approved health-insurance is not required.

Edited by Peter Denis