BANGKOK
brianj1964

O/A visa and insurance experience today

I just want to touch again on a subject. I see here people saying: easy, instead of non O-A, get a non O.

New Zealand, Australia, Washington, Jakarta and Ho Chi Min, do not issue non O's for so called retirement. Just to name a few.

Vientiane does, and excuse the chrome translate, they want:

For nationals of Laos Or those aged 50 years or older Who wish to live later or after retirement in Thailand

Documents to submit for visa application include

1. resume
  2. A certificate of income not less than 65,000 baht per month from the embassy / consulate of the country of residence or a certificate from a bank in Thailand showing financial status of not less than 800,000 baht and already in the bank account Over 3 months
  3. Evidence showing criminal background checks from country of residence
  4. Medical certificate

Note: Visa applicants must not be prohibited. Or having a disease forbidden to enter the Kingdom of Thailand And this visa is not allowed to work in Thailand

This is for non O. I don't quite understand clearly, because of Chrome translate, if this is now reserved for Laos nationals only.

And yes, you understood right, criminal background check + medical + 800K banked for 3 months for non O for being over 50. 

Can someone explain to me, where can a person over 50 and not married, get a single entry non O nowadays?

Edited by lkv
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2019 at 2:41 AM, Jingthing said:

Why would they refuse entry when a person is eligible for a 30 day stamp? 

Because they can.

19 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Before anyone goes into any illegal scheme with an agent I'd suggest to have a look at the attached figures. They are based on Pacific Cross' minimal plan that allows a 300k deductible.

And do you know for a fact that immigration would accept these plans in respect of any O-A Extension or entry into Thailand? I ask because if there is a deductible of over 40,000, then there would not effectively be a 40,000 baht out patient cover?

9 hours ago, Haribo said:

We have one client who has a non OA since 6 years, having denied extension on retierment because not accept the international firstclass health insurance. The Immigration say he has to make a thai health insurance.

So what will happen if a foreigner over 75 years old and not get an thai health Insurance?  

Thanks Haribo Newbie...😁

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

And do you know for a fact that immigration would accept these plans in respect of any O-A Extension or entry into Thailand? I ask because if there is a deductible of over 40,000, then there would not effectively be a 40,000 baht out patient cover?

PC are selling it as OA compatible. How they got it approved? The only reason I could imagine is that 440000 < (780000 - 300000). Please note that the two plans with lower coverage are not OA compatible.

And it would make sense as many of our geezer medical bills will be way over these numbers anyway. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have had the same concern but my Pacific Cross agent has told me on four separate occasions, email and phone call, that my Maxima Plus policy with the deductible qualifies and has been entered into the TGIA database.  However, I am noT due for another extension until next  November to test this for myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right now the conventional wisdom (if you have an expired/cancelled O-A) is to go to a neighboring country and apply for a Non O, based upon retirement, following whatever instructions / requirements that they require

Since most overseas Embassies and Consulates, as reported above, will no longer issue an O based upon retirement, does anyone really think that this local "loophole " will remain ?

Immigration in Thailand is like the kids game Whack a Mole, once you follow their requirements, another new one will pop up

I am one of the lucky ones, I don't have to come to Thailand, and there is less reason to be here since I followed the number one rule of living here: Don't invest more than you can afford to loose   

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

I am relatively "TV forum naive", but sifting through this thread I get the eerie feeling that it gets somewhat polluted by vested interests (i.e agents, insurance brokers, possibly IOs). So I'd take everything here with a pinch of salt...

Very wise.

john

6 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

90 day entry, that you can extend 1 year extensions each time, exactly like an OA without the insurance

I give up, seems you don't understand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

Right now the conventional wisdom (if you have an expired/cancelled O-A) is to go to a neighboring country and apply for a Non O, based upon retirement, following whatever instructions / requirements that they require

Since most overseas Embassies and Consulates, as reported above, will no longer issue an O based upon retirement, does anyone really think that this local "loophole " will remain ?

Immigration in Thailand is like the kids game Whack a Mole, once you follow their requirements, another new one will pop up

I am one of the lucky ones, I don't have to come to Thailand, and there is less reason to be here since I followed the number one rule of living here: Don't invest more than you can afford to loose   

100% agree.

10 hours ago, Martyp said:

I applied for my extension at CW 42 days early on Oct. 7. The Oct 31 date had not been announced yet. I was not asked about insurance.

The October 31 date was announced way before October 7, and why would they ask for insurance October 7? 

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

"Since most overseas Embassies and Consulates, as reported above, will no longer issue an O based upon retirement"

Which embassies/consulates overseas don't issue 90 days Non-Immigrant O? 

Just because you can't get in in the US, doesn't mean you can't get in Europe. 

You seem a bit paranoid about about Thailand and Immigration rules. 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

3 days? Haven't you heard about Fly'n'ride to Savannaket and back? You're back in BKK the same day. And how did you come up with the number 12k? 

How can you do it in "one" day when Savannakhet requires you to apply today and pick up the visa the following working day?  Ditto for next working day at Vientiane. 

image.png.1b9a9742ca560d22e71c0ff10e1cc58e.png