Jump to content
BANGKOK
brianj1964

O/A visa and insurance experience today

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, el jefe said:

When my permission to stay is up in Sept 2021, I'll be back to one METV and one SETV every year. Of course, the rules are going to change several times between now and then.

At which point, you will be told by the IO's (and some members of this forum):

 

"Get the right visa."

 

The right visa being non O-A. 😂

 

Or you might hear: "it's because of people like you that are abusing the system, that it's now harder for the rest of us", from select forum members.

Edited by lkv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chill27 said:

Or are references to the "re entry permit" the same as the multiple entry that was included when I obtained the Visa?

The more I read, the more confusing it gets!

Thanks, if someone could clarify for me.

O-A issued in August shouldn't require insurance. However using one of your multiple entries may require insurance. That will be an entirely new entry of one year so it's a distinct possibility. To keep your current trip you will need to buy a re-entry permit which won't require insurance if you enter on that. Your likely to be told you can't buy a re-entry permit because your visa is still valid. I have previously bought one in the same scenario though and entered on it. The IO told me the RE Permit trumped the ME.

Clear as mud I know and, up to you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chill27 said:

It's been said on here that re entering on a Non Imm O A with a re entry permit, you shouldn't need to show proof of Med Insurance.

But my Non Imm OA visa was issued in August as a multiple entry visa.

Are people saying that in order to avoid buying the insurance, I should ignore the "Multiple Entry" on the actual visa, and in addition also buy a re entry permit? I'm going back to the Uk in December for 5 weeks.

Or are references to the "re entry permit" the same as the multiple entry that was included when I obtained the Visa?

The more I read, the more confusing it gets!

Thanks, if someone could clarify for me.

You have to stay in Thailand while the O-A Visa is valid,and when it's about to expire,you leave the country without a re-entry permit. This way the O-A will be invalid when you re-enter Thailand after the expiration date. You have to start all over again with for example a 60 days tourist visa that after 30 days can be converted into a 90 days Non-Immigrant O at the local immigration office. Cost 2000 baht. After 60 days out of those 90 days you can apply for a 1 year extension.  Cost 1900 baht. IF you meet the financial requirements, of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

O-A issued in August shouldn't require insurance. However using one of your multiple entries may require insurance. That will be an entirely new entry of one year so it's a distinct possibility. To keep your current trip you will need to buy a re-entry permit which won't require insurance if you enter on that. Your likely to be told you can't buy a re-entry permit because your visa is still valid. I have previously bought one in the same scenario though and entered on it. The IO told me the RE Permit trumped the ME.

Clear as mud I know and, up to you.

Does every IO at every border reason the same? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You have to stay in Thailand while the O-A Visa is valid,and when it's about to expire,you leave the country without a re-entry permit. This way the O-A will be invalid when you re-enter Thailand after the expiration date. You have to start all over again with for example a 60 days tourist visa that after 30 days can be converted into a 90 days Non-Immigrant O at the local immigration office. Cost 2000 baht. After 60 days out of those 90 days you can apply for a 1 year extension.  Cost 1900 baht. IF you meet the financial requirements, of course. 

That wasn't his question.

 

He said: should he buy a re-entry permit on the current permission of stay before he goes back to the UK for 5 weeks, and comes back in January, to keep his current permission of stay active, or should he attempt to re-enter in January on the Non O-A, request a fresh 12 month permission of stay, and be possibly hit with insurance.

 

His non O-A will expire in August 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Does every IO at every border reason the same?

He's going to the UK in December for five weeks! I think as far as we know, Swampy, DMK & CNX may or may not ask for insurance on ME; but won't on RE Permit.

All other border crossing would be irrelevant I think. My experience was in C-M.

Edited by UncleMhee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You have to stay in Thailand while the O-A Visa is valid...

 

If you are saying that he cannot go to the UK in December for five weeks as planned, you are wrong, but it is possible that he may be asked for an insurance certificate on his return to Thailand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maestro said:

 

If you are saying that he cannot go to the UK in December for five weeks as planned, you are wrong, but it is possible that he may be asked for an insurance certificate on his return to Thailand.

Hence him wanting to get a re-entry permit to override the ME part of the visa and not get the insurance issue.

 

By the way, I have no idea if that would work just trying to clarify his question .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chill27 said:

It's been said on here that re entering on a Non Imm O A with a re entry permit, you shouldn't need to show proof of Med Insurance.

But my Non Imm OA visa was issued in August as a multiple entry visa.

Are people saying that in order to avoid buying the insurance, I should ignore the "Multiple Entry" on the actual visa, and in addition also buy a re entry permit? I'm going back to the Uk in December for 5 weeks.

Or are references to the "re entry permit" the same as the multiple entry that was included when I obtained the Visa?

The more I read, the more confusing it gets!

Thanks, if someone could clarify for me.

Post #1132 (attached) is a first-hand report of a TVF member ( @eljefe) that used exactly that strategy to avoid being queried on health-insurance when returning to Thailand on his stlll valid pre Oct 31 issued OA Visa.  Interestingly, he was simply stamped in for 12 months without any mentioning of health-insurance and ignoring the Re-entry permit he had bought as a safeguard.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

He's going to the UK in December for five weeks! I think as far as we know, Swampy, DMK & CNX may or may not ask for insurance on ME; but won't on RE Permit.

All other border crossing would be irrelevant I think. My experience was in C-M.

I think he should do the following

 

Forget re-entry permit.

 

Enter on non O-A in January.

 

Complete on the arrival card a short intended duration of stay. Let's say 30 days.

 

Claim he has travel insurance, and why does he need to buy a one year insurance, he does not stay for 1 year.

 

We had this scenario, i posted a screenshot from FB, and that person was stamped for 12 months.

 

It's complicated enough to confuse the IO's, because they cannot sell you insurance for 1 month, and "you only want to stay 1 month". And you have your own travel insurance anyway.

 

If at the time they stamp "visa exempt" (I see it illegal actually, visa exempt should be given to people not holding a visa, and the visa is valid), then just go to some land border, do a visa run, and get a year.

 

Denial of entry under 12.1 would be abusive in my opinion. There is no other paragraph in Section 12 that would potentially cover this situation.

 

And let's not forget that, when someone gets rejected, they need to be rejected under a specific paragraph from Section 12.

 

Edited by lkv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Post #1132 (attached) is a first-hand report of a TVF member ( @eljefe) that used exactly that strategy to avoid being queried on health-insurance when returning to Thailand on his stlll valid pre Oct 31 issued OA Visa.  Interestingly, he was simply stamped in for 12 months without any mentioning of health-insurance and ignoring the Re-entry permit he had bought as a safeguard.

 

Almost correct. I gave them my reentry permit number when I arrived because I wanted that canceled. They stamped me in for a little over 10 months in accordance with my original permission to stay. And it was a hassle getting that rentry permit.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lkv said:

At which point, you will be told by the IO's (and some members of this forum):

 

"Get the right visa."

 

The right visa being non O-A. 😂

 

Or you might hear: "it's because of people like you that are abusing the system, that it's now harder for the rest of us", from select forum members.

Is there a maximum amount of time you can spend in Thailand as a tourist?

As I've said before, I enter and leave an average of 5 times a year for the past 15 years. Most years I spend about 150 days in Thailand. This year will be the first time I am ever spending over 200 days here. That's why I applied for an O-A visa. I read somewhere on this thread that if an expat is not in Thailand for 6 months, they're not considered a resident and can't even get insurance.
And as I said, I was only questioned on one of those 70 entries (VE at either BKK or CNX). They flipped thru my passport and saw all the entries and I showed them my plane ticket out in 14 days. The IO stamped me and and said "next time ...", the standard way of saving face.  If the NY consulate and the IO's agree I'm a tourist, then I don't care what the forum members think and say. Sorry.

The people abusing the system are the ones paying agents in CM and getting extensions from the Hua Hin office.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, el jefe said:

Is there a maximum amount of time you can spend in Thailand as a tourist?

I don't disagree with you, I have also spent considerable amounts of time as a tourist in Thailand, up to 10 months a year in the past.

 

But what happens is, like this recent post here from Bangkok Expats, this guy is currently in a holding cell, in Suvarnabhumi, on his second METV.

 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/188966707797259?view=permalink&id=3162715650422335

 

Screenshot_20191116-002713_Facebook.jpg

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lkv said:

I don't disagree with you, I have also spent considerable amounts of time as a tourist in Thailand, up to 10 months a year in the past.

 

But what happens is, like this recent post here from Bangkok Expats, this guy is currently in a holding cell, in Suvarnabhumi, on his second METV.

 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/188966707797259?view=permalink&id=3162715650422335

 

Screenshot_20191116-002713_Facebook.jpg

The link isn't working and I can't read Thai. But if 2 METV's got him a holding cell, I should have life in prison, as should the many others who are doing the same.
If you stayed 10 months as a tourist then I should be just fine with my 150-200 days a year. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, el jefe said:


If you stayed 10 months as a tourist, then I should be just fine with my 150-200 days a year. Thanks.

Not in 2019 I haven't. If the link is not working, you can search on Google/Facebook with keywords.

 

I don't wish to go too much offtopic, this is about non O-A, the point was, METV and SETV may or may not be a solution to people avoiding non O-A, if they spend too much time on them.

 

For genuine short touristic usage, shouldn't be a problem.

 

Screenshot_20191117-153803_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...