BANGKOK
brianj1964

O/A visa and insurance experience today

33 minutes ago, el jefe said:

The people abusing the system are the ones paying agents in CM and getting extensions from the Hua Hin office.

Not wrong, indeed...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lkv said:

Not in 2019 I haven't. If the link is not working, you can search on Google/Facebook with keywords.

I don't wish to go too much offtopic, this is about non O-A, the point was, METV and SETV may or may not be a solution to people avoiding non O-A, if they spend too much time on them.

For genuine short touristic usage, shouldn't be a problem.

Screenshot_20191117-153803_Samsung Internet.jpg

Actually, I thought this thread was for reporting actual experiences of those arriving on O-A visas. 1260 posts and I've only seen about 10 first hand reports. One was mine.
I also thought that this was for alternative solutions to the lack of health insurance problem. I gave one of those -- get a reentry permit if you're on your first year of an O-A. Worked for me.
Not everyone reading this lives in Thailand 365 days a year. I know more people here on SETV's and METV's than on O-A's. A METV gives you 9 months. If Immigration and the MFA want to change that, they can.
It this works for some, I'm glad I could help.

• Like 2

Just now, el jefe said:

A METV gives you 9 months. If Immigration and the MFA want to change that, they can.
It this works for some, I'm glad I could help.

No no, MFA says permission of stay 60 days per entry.

If you want 9 months per entry, use non O-A.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lkv said:

No no, MFA says permission of stay 60 days per entry.

If you want 9 months per entry, use non O-A.

Get METV. 

Enter for 60 days, get 30 days extension.  Leave.

Enter for 60 days, get 30 days extension.  Leave again.

Enter for 60 days, get 30 days extension.  Leave. 

Total: 9 months - end of METV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UncleMhee said:

O-A issued in August shouldn't require insurance. However using one of your multiple entries may require insurance. That will be an entirely new entry of one year so it's a distinct possibility. To keep your current trip you will need to buy a re-entry permit which won't require insurance if you enter on that. Your likely to be told you can't buy a re-entry permit because your visa is still valid. I have previously bought one in the same scenario though and entered on it. The IO told me the RE Permit trumped the ME.

Clear as mud I know and, up to you.

Thanks Uncle for the clarification and to everyone else who responded.

So am I correct in thinking that if I exit again next July then re enter Thailand again before the expiry of my original Non Imm O A visa, I'll be stamped with another year, which will take me through to July 2021? Ie, every time I depart and re enter during the first year, I'll get stamped with a fresh one year stay on re entry?

If that's the case I may try to circumvent the insurance issue by purchasing re entry permits every time I leave the country until July 2021

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chill27 said:

So am I correct in thinking that if I exit again next July then re enter Thailand again before the expiry of my original Non Imm O A visa, I'll be stamped with another year, which will take me through to July 2021?

Yes.......that entry will be on an original ME and may or may not require insurance.

every time I depart and re enter during the first year, I'll get stamped with a fresh one year stay on re entry?

Without a RE Permit.....Yes. Possibility of insurance requirements.

If that's the case I may try to circumvent the insurance issue by purchasing re entry permits every time I leave the country until July 2021

I was unsure of the whole ME deal, was wrongly told I needed a permit and bought a single no worries, no questions asked. Though there are many posts here that say RE Permits cannot be bought with live ME's still on the visa i.e. before your "Enter Before" date. Your expiry date.

Eg. I first entered in May 2018, got one year. Bought permit August, went out for a month Dec-Jan, stamped back on RE till May 2019. Visa expiry April 2019, went out prior for two days, got stamped back in till April 2020. April 2020 is my next hurdle.....will I or won't I need insurance for an extension.

Note:- After July 2020 buy a multi RE or you will void your visa 

IMG_20191015_115125.jpg

IMG_20191015_115058.jpg

IMG_20191015_115150.jpg

Edited by UncleMhee

On 11/16/2019 at 10:11 PM, Max69xl said:

If the O-A is about to expire,then leave the country without a re-entry permit, and the O-A is officially invalid. Go to the consulate in, let's say Savannaket in Laos and apply for a 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa based on retirement. Enter Thailand and after 60 days apply for a 1 year extension at the local immigration office. IF, he meets the financial requirements. 

That person would have to leave while the O-A is still valid and stay outside of Thailand until it expires since the valid O-A would have a ME with it.  This might be tricky if there are any issues with the 90 day O.

On 16 November 2019 at 7:43 PM, stat said:

Why not "simply" get a second passport from your homecountry and get new visa? Perfectly legal in most countries I know. Leave TH with old passport enter with 2nd passport. u can just send the 2nd pp from Thailand to embassy in your native country and have it resend to mate in homecountry who then forwards your passport to Thailand. Worked for me in 2011 with 2 tourist visas back 2 back, alas before biometrics at airports were introduced. But to my knowledge they just confirm if you fit the biometrics in your passport not if you have left Th in the morning with another passport as in my case.

Good luck!

Should he order new fingerprints too? Things have changed since you did that in 2011, they will have his prints somewhere if he has entered recently

Edited by brianj1964

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Because of his history they assume he wants to stay in Thailand continuously and he might work in Thailand, he does not enter Thailand for tourism.

That's how most people find a legitimate job in Thailand.

They enter on a tourist visa, find a job, then leave the country and change visa type to one that allows work, of course this can only be done once you have found your job.....

2 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

Yes.......that entry will be on an original ME and may or may not require insurance.

Without a RE Permit.....Yes. Possibility of insurance requirements.

I was unsure of the whole ME deal, was wrongly told I needed a permit and bought a single no worries, no questions asked. Though there are many posts here that say RE Permits cannot be bought with live ME's still on the visa i.e. before your "Enter Before" date. Your expiry date.

Eg. I first entered in May 2018, got one year. Bought permit August, went out for a month Dec-Jan, stamped back on RE till May 2019. Visa expiry April 2019, went out prior for two days, got stamped back in till April 2020. April 2020 is my next hurdle.....will I or won't I need insurance for an extension.

Note:- After July 2020 buy a multi RE or you will void your visa 

IMG_20191015_115125.jpg

IMG_20191015_115058.jpg

IMG_20191015_115150.jpg

Great, so my additional one year from July 2020 to July 2021 will be devoid of the ME and if I fail to then buy a ME permit from Immigration and leave the country, when I try to re enter my visa will be invalid?

Best of luck with your extension next April, hopefully things will be much clearer by then!

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, pookondee said:

So possibly a casual tourist who uses a METV to stay 6-8 months every 1-2 years

will be reading this stuff,

panicking that they will get thrown in detention centre and deported next time they come.

Permissions of stay

1. Visa exempt 30 days

2. Tourist visa (SETV or METV) 60 days

3. Non Immigrant O visa 90 days

4. Extension of stay 12 months

5. Non O-A 12 months.

So, if John wants to stay 9 months, the solution should be number 3+4 or number 5, not number 1 or number 2 repeatedly with visa runs.

That's what immigration defines as "the correct visa for the duration of your stay". When you don't have to do visa runs and you can stay continually for that intended stay.

In practice, John can also stay up to 9 months stretching a METV, and doing visa runs, but the more he does it, the more it becomes a lottery.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pookondee said:

Resulting, a casual tourist who uses a METV to stay 6-8 months every 1-2 years reading these denial stories,

panicking they to will get thrown in detention centre and deported next time they come.

It shows that he was denied entry with a METV (that's what he wrote on Facebook, the police report doesn't mention the type of tourist visa), after having spent about 5.5 months (less than 180 days) in 2019 in Thailand. This also means that he just proved money in a bank, and that he is employed or has a business in Canada, when he applied for the METV.

So somebody with a METV might be concerned that he may not be let into Thailand on his last entry, at which point he spent nearly 6 months in Thailand.

But what i noticed when looking at his Facebook picture: He is not white (but has a Canadian passport though), and we know how racist Thais can be, so this might have played a role.

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1