BANGKOK
brianj1964

O/A visa and insurance experience today

6 minutes ago, deej said:

All Hell will break loose .due to very obvious humanity reasons for starters

Many other countries also require people to have health insurance, this is hardly ground breaking.

If you would ask people in Europe about their opinion that Thailand requires people to have health insurance, they would probably not say anything negative about it, and they might even be surprised that this wasn't required already.

Thailand doesn't care much about humanitarien reasons, you might want to read about stateless as well as refugee camps in Thailand. They might care about bad press, but by requiring health insurance they will hardly get any bad press in foreign countries, so this is not an issue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is the OA insurance having a big impact ?

Judging by the amount of posts/threads, it would appear that its not having a broad impact.

Past issues like income letters, changes to seasoning, tm30, have all seen 1,000s of posts, a new thread every hour etc. I can only presume the changes dont effect many people, It would appear most people started with a Non-O and its business as usual.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Is the OA insurance having a big impact ?

Judging by the amount of posts/threads, it would appear that its not having a broad impact.

Past issues like income letters, changes to seasoning, tm30, have all seen 1,000s of posts, a new thread every hour etc. I can only presume the changes dont effect many people, It would appear most people started with a Non-O and its business as usual.

It's only been in effect for 21 days - a bit early to reach any conclusions regarding impact or lack thereof.

• Like 2

It's a brutal and unnecessary process.  Why can't it be as simple in so many countries, ie cambo, vietnam, USA, Canada, Australia, etc

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, TheAppletons said:

It's only been in effect for 21 days - a bit early to reach any conclusions regarding impact or lack thereof.

Yes, you are probably right but for other issues Thai-visa goes into meltdown. I just cant help but think not many started with an OA so not many are affected.

43 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Many other countries also require people to have health insurance, this is hardly ground breaking.

If you would ask people in Europe about their opinion that Thailand requires people to have health insurance, they would probably not say anything negative about it, and they might even be surprised that this wasn't required already.

Thailand doesn't care much about humanitarien reasons, you might want to read about stateless as well as refugee camps in Thailand. They might care about bad press, but by requiring health insurance they will hardly get any bad press in foreign countries, so this is not an issue.

Thank you for your reponse😀

From my view 

The 800ks was put in place

to cover unforseen Medical costs etc etc

Please be free to correct me if i am mistaken😀

They are in such a pickle presently implementing the OA visa medical cover etc etc

Image the mess introducing a Non O medical cover etc etc which is far larger in numbers.

Grand Fathering In. is the simple soloution 

And apply the Medical cover for any future applicants  .

just my 1 bahts worth

• Like 2

12 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

I did that bit, it said " long stay" or something similar

That's the one you want. There's a guy on here who runs a Facebook group dedicated to TransferWise. They've done some testing and have 100% success rate in having the transfer marked as international using that drop-down option and transferring to Bangkok Bank. The receiving bank has to be Bangkok Bank to be sure of success.

15 hours ago, Thaidream said:

There is no law that states the 800K for retirement or 400K for marriage has to be sent from abroad unless one converts  a VE or Tourist Visa to a Non O and then applies.

Thanks. That's useful to know. 

Regarding the income method- if they want to see source of funds, this should be easy to provide- since every financial transaction has some source- pension deposit; investment deposit;  rental income deposit etc .  Simple letterhead from these entities and amounts should suffice. Most people have to declare this on the yealy foreign income tax.

"Should" being the operative word 🙂 . It sounds as though what some offices really want to see is a single document confirming a pension of at least 65k per month. The further you are from having that, the more likely you are to hear "Cannot".

I have a new OA so I have the option of doing a border run at the end of the year (and probably having to buy Thai insurance beforehand). As I have no idea what the immigration regulations or baht exchange-rate will be in a year's time, I'm trying to keep open as many options as possible.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not sure of the actual numbers of people on valid OA’s or extensions thereof but I think many are planning their escape from insurance via an O visa or if have a long time left on their extension ( like myself, sept 2020 ) and are still letting the dust settle before making their decision.

+1 i am in the same case

(Renew extension in next october)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deej said:

From my view 

The 800ks was put in place

to cover unforseen Medical costs etc etc

Please be free to correct me if i am mistaken

It's just from your view

you can't find it in any official text.

The most shared idea was it was the amount of money

necessary for 1 farang for live 1 year in Thailand and cover all the spends.

But now 400 000 are frozen in a Thai bank all year long and 800 000 for 5 months

so in reality it's just one selection criterion and a forced loan to the Thai bank system

• Thanks 2