BANGKOK
brianj1964

O/A visa and insurance experience today

7 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Thank you  for making the case that each person who is an expat in Thailand needs to speak up by at the least writing to their Embassies; the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the Ministry of Health amd ex[;ain why this change is unfair; unjust and probably  illegal.

If one never speaks up, one never  gets anything that is wrong changed.

Thailand can certainly demand health insurace for any on an O-A as long as the start date is 31 October 2019 but it is unjust to place a rule on people who have had an O-A for  decades, came into Thailand for a peaceful retirement and now find they are  over the age of even getting the coverage.

I have sent my letters- maybe it will do no good; byt maybe  hundreds and diplomatic notes will cause those in power to stop and think.  Actions like this have ramafications.

Just becaue you think it is impossible- doesn't mean you should not try for justice.

Instead of sitting around laughing at people who try to do the right thing- you might want to stop telling everyone what can;t be changed and write a letter.

I hope your embassy has bought a new "Industrial shredder machine". They will need it. 

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

How about writing it in one of the newspapers about the injustice of the police order and immigration making it retroactive.  Also, the effect it has on those who can not get insurance

You want me to write an article in a newspaper? How do you propose I do that? If I'm going to waste time writing ineffective letters about injustice, I'll start with the Rohingya, the Uighurs, and the Syrians.

• Thanks 2

My visa/extension vitals: Original O-A in 2010, extensions based on retirement every year since. Next renewal, Aug 2020. 

Just checking. I think I have read every post in this thread over the 16 days since it was begun. Am I correct in saying, we still don't know if those of us facing renewals this year and next will need to show a Thai health insurance policy at the next renewal application? That's those of us who started out with O-As.

I am aware of reports that some embassies have sent or are planning to send diplomatic notes asking that the health insurance requirement be not made retroactive to holders of original O-A visas.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Just checking. I think I have read every post in this thread over the 16 days since it was begun. Am I correct in saying, we still don't know if those of us facing renewals this year and next will need to show a Thai health insurance policy at the next renewal application? That's those of us who started out with O-As.

You are OK until well into next year! Fortunately you have time to see how the situation develops. 

• Like 2