BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand road carnage: Death toll tops 12,000 since start of the year

Thailand road carnage: Death toll tops 12,000 since start of the year

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that 12,304 people have been reported dead at the scene of accidents in Thailand since the start of 2019. 

They caution that this is only those that die at the scene - the reality is that death from road accidents is a lot more when all figures are collected. 

Most experts agree that the figure is around 24,000 to 26,000 a year, notes Thaivisa. 

On Monday 62 died bringing the total for November to 144. 

5pm1.jpg

Thai caption: Road death reduction campaign - 62 dead at scene on 4th November

dn.jpg

Daily News are running a campaign to raise awareness of the dangers on Thai roads. They report the death toll daily along with accident reports. 

This time they chose to warn people about the perils of changing lanes. 

They said that a motorcyclist was killed outside a chicken rice shop on Petchkasem Road (outbound) in Muang district of Ranong in Thailand's south. 

The lane changing motorcyclist, hit by a pick-up driver who could not brake in time, was propelled into the back of another pick-up. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-06
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, hithere said:

Who is right 

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 08.42.52.png

Neither.  The numbers reported by Thailand are those declared dead at the scene.

Daily News reported that 12,304 people have been reported dead at the scene of accidents in Thailand since the start of 2019. 

You have to just about double that to reach the numbers estimated by internationally accepted agencies that include the victims who die later- like on the way to hospital.  Also begs the question of who's legally authorized to declare someone dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

• Like 1

The real thai lottery...some win some lose..

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hithere said:

Who is right 

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 08.42.52.png

Is this for 11th June or November 6th?

• Like 1

Since my 2 nasty and painful motorbike road mishaps i was involved in, neither were of my fault, i'm now riding as i'm a plump chicken walking among a pack of hungry wolves with all my senses on high alert and my eyes and my head are on a constant swivel judging, measuring and reading the traffic around me, this is the BEST i can do, the rest is to the gods of luck and fate...

• Like 1

self population control it must be as the outrageous toll does not seem to resonate with the masses, it is insane to most but there u have it Thailand in all its magnificent glory 

• Like 1

As fun as it is to have a Thai bash, if the UK or USA had 70-80% scooters like Thailand, their traffic fatality rate would be just as high.  If you actually slice and dice the statistics, it would be even higher.

It's 20-40 x as dangerous to ride a scooter (per km) as it is to ride in a 4 wheeled vehicle,  That comes from studies done in the US and Aus.  In the USA, only 4% of the vehicles are scooters (a term including all motorcycles)  If they had 17-20 times as many scooters (70-80% instead of 4%), each of them being 20-40 times as dangerous, the fatality rate would skyrocket.

Sure, I've seen a lot of horrendous drivers in Thailand.  But I'm amazed that the death rate isn't a lot higher.

I challenge any math whizzes to actually slice and dice the statistics and come up with a different conclusion.  Math only, please.  Intuition, common sense, obviousness based on observations don't count.  Just an analysis of the actual numbers, please.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Lets face it ,if the average Thai driver had another brain cell ,they would be something you plant in the back garden .

sorry if that offends ,but the standard of driving(and that goes for you ,you moronic motorcycle driver i nearly ran down yesterday) is beyond terrible .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, impulse said:

Also begs the question of who's legally authorized to declare someone dead.

The TV league of armchair commentators on all things wrong with Thailand of course!

• Like 1