Thailand road carnage: Death toll tops 12,000 since start of the year

webfact

Thailand road carnage: Death toll tops 12,000 since start of the year

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that 12,304 people have been reported dead at the scene of accidents in Thailand since the start of 2019. 

They caution that this is only those that die at the scene - the reality is that death from road accidents is a lot more when all figures are collected. 

Most experts agree that the figure is around 24,000 to 26,000 a year, notes Thaivisa. 

On Monday 62 died bringing the total for November to 144. 

5pm1.jpg

Thai caption: Road death reduction campaign - 62 dead at scene on 4th November

dn.jpg

Daily News are running a campaign to raise awareness of the dangers on Thai roads. They report the death toll daily along with accident reports. 

This time they chose to warn people about the perils of changing lanes. 

They said that a motorcyclist was killed outside a chicken rice shop on Petchkasem Road (outbound) in Muang district of Ranong in Thailand's south. 

The lane changing motorcyclist, hit by a pick-up driver who could not brake in time, was propelled into the back of another pick-up. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-06

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, webfact said:

The lane changing motorcyclist, hit by a pick-up driver who could not brake in time, was propelled into the back of another pick-up. 

Sums it up...

Motorcycle changes lanes without looking.

Pick-up driver not concentrating and/or driving too fast.

7 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Daily News are running a campaign to raise awareness of the dangers on Thai roads. 

They are totally resistant to awareness

Well, i try to compensate, when i am riding the motorbike, my awareness magically multiplies 3 folds.

3 minutes ago, hithere said:

Who is right 

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 08.42.52.png

Neither.  The numbers reported by Thailand are those declared dead at the scene.

Daily News reported that 12,304 people have been reported dead at the scene of accidents in Thailand since the start of 2019. 

You have to just about double that to reach the numbers estimated by internationally accepted agencies that include the victims who die later- like on the way to hospital.  Also begs the question of who's legally authorized to declare someone dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

....and here I am, thinking it's a nice sunny for a motorcycle ride. I think I better stay home and grow fungi. Cheers! 

On a more serious note, where my workspace is there are some 20 odd Thais. Guess who's the only one with the driving licenses (both car and motorcycle)? This alien fellow. 

Again, cheers and have a good day everyone. Stay safe ????

Since my 2 nasty and painful motorbike road mishaps i was involved in, neither were of my fault, i'm now riding as i'm a plump chicken walking among a pack of hungry wolves with all my senses on high alert and my eyes and my head are on a constant swivel judging, measuring and reading the traffic around me, this is the BEST i can do, the rest is to the gods of luck and fate...

As fun as it is to have a Thai bash, if the UK or USA had 70-80% scooters like Thailand, their traffic fatality rate would be just as high.  If you actually slice and dice the statistics, it would be even higher.

It's 20-40 x as dangerous to ride a scooter (per km) as it is to ride in a 4 wheeled vehicle,  That comes from studies done in the US and Aus.  In the USA, only 4% of the vehicles are scooters (a term including all motorcycles)  If they had 17-20 times as many scooters (70-80% instead of 4%), each of them being 20-40 times as dangerous, the fatality rate would skyrocket.

Sure, I've seen a lot of horrendous drivers in Thailand.  But I'm amazed that the death rate isn't a lot higher.

I challenge any math whizzes to actually slice and dice the statistics and come up with a different conclusion.  Math only, please.  Intuition, common sense, obviousness based on observations don't count.  Just an analysis of the actual numbers, please.

Lets face it ,if the average Thai driver had another brain cell ,they would be something you plant in the back garden .

sorry if that offends ,but the standard of driving(and that goes for you ,you moronic motorcycle driver i nearly ran down yesterday) is beyond terrible .

Same story comes around every year, but no one home to teach the kids the right way to do things, or face punishment out there in the real world.

Seeing the death tolls every year, it appears that there is no one out there in the real world applying punishment, so it's a merry-go-round every year and this could be the reason for me seeing the same story on the death toll year in, year out.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i try to compensate, when i am riding the motorbike, my awareness magically multiplies 3 folds.

I was a bit wary when I first bought a motorcycle here. I did wonder whether, at my more advanced age, (69 at the time) my awareness and reflexes might not be up to it. I hadn't ridden for over 15 years.

But no, I was as sharp as ever and like you say, my senses go into high alert as soon as the engine starts. I enjoy my riding more now than when I was young. In fact it makes me feel young.

Just now, Moonlover said:

But no, I was as sharp as ever and like you say, my senses go into high alert as soon as the engine starts. I enjoy my riding more now than when I was young. In fact it makes me feel young.

Good for you. I love a good outing on the bike too.

However, here in Thailand you can get taken out at any time without the time to blink !!

Stay safe and keep it rubber side down...

24 minutes ago, impulse said:

As fun as it is to have a Thai bash, if the UK or USA had 70-80% scooters like Thailand, their traffic fatality rate would be just as high.  If you actually slice and dice the statistics, it would be even higher.

No it wouldn't, not even if the number of riders greatly increased. I can't speak for the rest of the world but in the UK every motorcyclist wears a helmet. That in itself saves many lives.  

Every motorcyclist is actually taught how to ride on the road and then takes an actual test on the road!! They learn that maneuvers such as undertaking are extremity dangerous. The majority abide by the rules (urban speed limits in particular) because if you don't you will loose your licence very quickly. Same for running red lights, there cameras everywhere. The laws are actually enforced and that saves lives. 

Also, there are no groups of 10 year old kids racing each other on public roads at high speed, unlicensed and uninsured. 

But most important of all, the average motorist has a modicum of patience, something that barely exists here.  

50 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's 20-40 x as dangerous to ride a scooter (per km) as it is to ride in a 4 wheeled vehicle,  That comes from studies done in the US and Aus.  In the USA, only 4% of the vehicles are scooters (a term including all motorcycles)  If they had 17-20 times as many scooters (70-80% instead of 4%), each of them being 20-40 times as dangerous, the fatality rate would skyrocket.

Sure, I've seen a lot of horrendous drivers in Thailand.  But I'm amazed that the death rate isn't a lot higher.

I challenge any math whizzes to actually slice and dice the statistics and come up with a different conclusion.  Math only, please.  Intuition, common sense, obviousness based on observations don't count.  Just an analysis of the actual numbers, please.

totally disagree, in the west there are police on the roads that enforce the road rules and the people driving/riding have passed proper tests to get their licences plus they actually have to know the road rules, here there are no police on the roads, road rules are not enforced, no proper licence testing(someone who has never driven/rode before can get a licence inn 4 days), learners do not have to memorize road rules and they are soon forgotten/ignored(2 hours is all they have to study them  and then get passed straight away, I can still quote the road rules from over 45 years ago when I learnt them), to most thais and they regard them as simply optional  and do as they please anyway. While there are road deaths in the west they are a fraction of thai road deaths, I believe a lot of the problems here are due entirely to attitude and lack of intelligence/schooling as well as the "doesnt matter" indoctrination

3 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

If Thais are OK with killing each other on the roads, then who are we to complain?

You can't force people to be worried about it.

Exactly! I've given up making mundane, oft repeated comments on this topic.

As almost any Thai will say, 'it's up to them'.

9 minutes ago, seajae said:

totally disagree, in the west there are police on the roads that enforce the road rules and the people driving/riding have passed proper tests to get their licences plus they actually have to know the road rules, here there are no police on the roads, road rules are not enforced, no proper licence testing(someone who has never driven/rode before can get a licence inn 4 days), learners do not have to memorize road rules and they are soon forgotten/ignored(2 hours is all they have to study them  and then get passed straight away, I can still quote the road rules from over 45 years ago when I learnt them), to most thais and they regard them as simply optional  and do as they please anyway. While there are road deaths in the west they are a fraction of thai road deaths, I believe a lot of the problems here are due entirely to attitude and lack of intelligence/schooling as well as the "doesnt matter" indoctrination

Nope.  Gotta have the math.  Not just conjecture.  I don't see any numbers supporting your argument.

14 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

No it wouldn't, not even if the number of riders greatly increased. I can't speak for the rest of the world but in the UK every motorcyclist wears a helmet. That in itself saves many lives.  

Every motorcyclist is actually taught how to ride on the road and then takes an actual test on the road!! They learn that maneuvers such as undertaking are extremity dangerous. The majority abide by the rules (urban speed limits in particular) because if you don't you will loose your licence very quickly. Same for running red lights, there cameras everywhere. The laws are actually enforced and that saves lives. 

Also, there are no groups of 10 year old kids racing each other on public roads at high speed, unlicensed and uninsured. 

But most important of all, the average motorist has a modicum of patience, something that barely exists here.  

Let's see your math, based on numbers.  

Edit:  It's a very simple algebra problem, and there are published numbers for the fatality rates per 100 million miles for 2 and 4 wheelers in the USA (and I assume, the UK).

Guessing that at least 85% or more of Thais would never be allowed to drive anything in the states. If the Thai government really cared they would have a police car every mile of the roads taking their bikes and cars away. When i see dozens of young teen idiots speeding i am hoping they kill themselves off before they harm another. one less dumb as a brick off the roads

Archived