Chiang Mai: Grab riders complain to head office over new food delivery rates

webfact

Chiang Mai: Grab riders complain to head office over new food delivery rates

7pm.jpg

Source: 77kaoded

Grab Partners delivering food in the city of Chiang Mai have protested after the company changed their rates.

About 100 riders descended on the company HQ on the Chaing Mai to Hang Dong road yesterday evening. 

The company has changed the rates they pay their riders.

Before they gave them 40 baht for the first two kilometers and 5 baht for each subsequent kilometer.

Now they are paying them just 30 baht for the first five kilometers and 6 baht thereafter. 

Representing the riders Phutthipong Thiantheerachai said that this was unfair and meant a much lower return for each rider as most trips were under five kilometers. 

The money that the riders could make was not enough to cover such charges as fuel, motorcycle maintenance, internet and phone charges. 

He noted that most customers used regular phone lines and did not communicate through the application. 

A letter of protest was handed to Grab to ask them to reconsider the new rates. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-06

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Now they are paying them just 30 baht for the first five kilometers and 6 baht thereafter.

I would say that it would have been easier to explain it with "Now they pay them only 6 baht per kilometer"

57 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I would say that it would have been easier to explain it with "Now they pay them only 6 baht per kilometer"

Easier but probably inaccurate.  The 30 thb for the first five kilometers undoubtedly means "up to five kms".  So for a one km delivery, it's 30 thb. 

Since most deliveries are under 2 kms (according to the article) they're taking a 25% pay cut from 40 thb to 30 thb.  

My daughter got a food delivery for 15 Thb the other day,

15 Thb how can they make profit on that,unless they get

a cut of the cost of the food,she has also gotten a free

delivery off the app.no wonder they are complaining.

regards worgeordie

I was told if its a cash payment and person who ordered does not show up/ not there, the delivery person has to pay. Not sure if that is true but wouldn't be surprised.

It is just another big company who will trash any competition then turn the screws on.

Nobody is forced to work for Grab. If the riders don't like the pay, then they are free to quit and look for another job. Same goes for the meter taxis, who say that the meter-fare is to low and use this as an excuse to rip off customers.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

My daughter got a food delivery for 15 Thb the other day,

15 Thb how can they make profit on that,unless they get

a cut of the cost of the food,she has also gotten a free

delivery off the app.no wonder they are complaining.

regards worgeordie

Grab get 10% of the food cost from the food vendor.

2 hours ago, Beng said:

Nobody is forced to work for Grab. If the riders don't like the pay, then they are free to quit and look for another job. Same goes for the meter taxis, who say that the meter-fare is to low and use this as an excuse to rip off customers.

Yep. When the butt f’n burns it’s time to move on to the next morsel offered by some multinational corporation.  I sympathize with people making less than a living wage for corporations run by scammers that have more money than they know what to do with. 

To be honest, CM hasn't got the highest wages in general, earning 45-50B per hour would be a lot. 
Most <5KM deliveries can be done in 30 minutes easily, some can take a bit longer but many are efficient and fast. 

Aside of this, grab rides with the car have become significant more expensive, it actually is more than I would pay in BKK with meter. 
Only ultra cheap thing I tried recently is the grab motorbike service within the city (old city to nimman being as little as 56 baht but again, 20 mins work for driver). 

Would be a shame if they ruin it by being so greedy, Grab, though. Still fairly easy to have a flexible job, certainly as student or aside of a home business. 
Doubt this money can be earned with other flexible jobs, that allow you whenever you want to work and make some money instantly.

I think the real pain is the longer distance rides actually, those take much more time + afford to find (as most Thais can't read a map or navigate),
always tip the driver 20B more as of feeling guilty for living quite far out of town / middle of nowhere if not knowing the way.

I'm always amused when people complain about the free market.

It's a competitive business and there are other delivery services they can work at that may offer more per trip. Grab's goal is being the lowest priced and preferred delivery option and therefore getting more jobs for their drivers. The more jobs, the more money for everyone.

If people were able to use a Honda Forza as the mode of transport (as seen on the picture), which i estimate at about 3 THB per kilometer in costs, then the payment was obviously quite high. A Honda Wave costs maybe 1-1.5 THB per kilometer, this leaves quite a bit more in their pocket.

If they don't like it they can still switch to Foodpanda, as long as there are alternatives i don't see a problem with this change.

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The money that the riders could make was not enough to cover such charges as fuel, motorcycle maintenance, internet and phone charges. 

Well, can always go do another job where they make enough money

On 11/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, Beng said:

this could be restated as the infamous "let them eat cake"

Archived