BANGKOK
nightbird

Converting Non OA to Non O Visa

My 13th year holding a Non OA with extension of stay coming up in January. My wife, who is also American holds a Non O with extension of stay. My question is two-fold. Can I simply leave Thailand in January, go to Vientiane and get a Non O visa. Then, return to BKK and get an extension of stay based on retirement for subsequent years?

The 2nd question is, if the above is possible, will my conversion to Non O effect my wife's Non O status? Recently, I met an American woman who told me that she and her husband had to show separate financials for their extension of stays. I only have to show my bank account which takes care of both of us, 800,000thb. I had never heard of this requirement for both husband and wife. 

Thanks for all informative replies, in advance.

1. Yes, if you meet the consulate's criteria for for a non-O visa.

2. It will depend not on your visa category, but on the reason for which you get a one year extension of stay at your local immigration. If this extension is for the reason of retirement, under clause 2.22 of the extension rules, your wife qualifies for a so-called dependent extension under clause 2.20

Edited by Maestro
added links

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

1. Yes, if you meet the consulate's criteria for for a non-O visa.

2. It will depend not on your visa category, but on the reason for which you get a one year extension of stay at your local immigration. If this extension is for the reason of retirement, your wife qualifies for a so-called dependent extension.

Maestro,

Do the requirements for a Non O visa change from consulate to consulate? Can you elaborate on what requirements are looked for?

Regarding #2, I was also under the impression that my wife qualified as a dependent. But why would the couple that I mentioned have to show separate financials? She told me that she was never asked about being a dependent. There was no alternative that she was made aware of and all the couples she has met here have the same status that she has. 

23 minutes ago, nightbird said:

Do the requirements for a Non O visa change from consulate to consulate? Can you elaborate on what requirements are looked for?

They do vary in their requirement to apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over for retirement.

For example Vientiane want to see 800k baht in the bank, a medical certificate and a police clearance certificate. Savannakhet wants the 800k baht in the bank and proof of retirement.

Your wife will need to get a new non-o visa since her extension will end when yours does as soon as you leave the country to cancel it.

23 minutes ago, nightbird said:

Regarding #2, I was also under the impression that my wife qualified as a dependent. But why would the couple that I mentioned have to show separate financials? She told me that she was never asked about being a dependent. There was no alternative that she was made aware of and all the couples she has met here have the same status that she has. 

Not sure why she did not apply for an extension based upon being her husbands wife. Perhaps she did not have a non-o visa entry so she used the retirement option to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration.

She could change to that type of extension instead of retirement.

I would just say that those couples are misinformed.  When I first moved here I applied for an extension and showed financials for myself only.  My wife is an American citizen and she only piggy-backed on my financials.  She had to file an application but no financials were required. 

I don't think the rules have changed...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

They do vary in their requirement to apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over for retirement.

. For example Vientiane want to see 800k baht in the bank, a medical certificate and a police clearance certificate. Savannakhet wants the 800k baht in the bank and proof of retirement.

Your wife will need to get a new non-o visa sine here extension will end when yours does as soon as leave the country to cancel it.

Not sure why she did not apply for an extension based upon being her husbands wife. Perhaps she did not have a non-o visa entry so she used the retirement option to apply for a non immigrant visa at immigration.

She could change to that type of extension instead of retirement herself.

Thanks, Joe. This is exactly what I wanted to know about my wife's status and what will be required of me. Basically, I am trying to avoid the less than stellar health insurance requirement here. A pittance of coverage for an exorbitant amount. But I now see that this route is not the one that I will take as it will be too much of a disruption to our yearly pilgrimage to CW. 

Just now, mosan said:

I would just say that those couples are misinformed.  When I first moved here I applied for an extension and showed financials for myself only.  My wife is an American citizen and she only piggy-backed on my financials.  She had to file an application but no financials were required. 

I don't think the rules have changed...

Same for me, Mosan.

• Like 1

Is it ฿800,000 baht in a Thai bank or is it anywhere?  Do all local consulates require the 800k?

3 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Is it ฿800,000 baht in a Thai bank or is it anywhere?  Do all local consulates require the 800k?

Here in Thailand.

Is it ฿800,000 baht in a Thai bank or is it anywhere? 

They would prefer to see the 800k baht in a Thai bank.

Do all local consulates require the 800k?

They all require financial proof. Either the 800k baht in the bank or proof of 65k baht income or it could be both totaling 800k baht.

1 minute ago, nightbird said:

Here in Thailand.

AAArdvark, Non O will require you to be connected with Thai family or child or volunteer work. Are you aware of that?

Is it possible to convert from a Non O-A to a Non-O if one is single, has no ties to a Thai family, and is retired? 

7 minutes ago, nightbird said:

AAArdvark, Non O will require you to be connected with Thai family or child or volunteer work. Are you aware of that?

That is not what I have been writing about.

What a I stated has been for being 50 or over for retirement.

If married to a Thai no financial proof would be needed to get a single entry non-o visa.

3 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

Is it possible to convert from a Non O-A to a Non-O if one is single, has no ties to a Thai family, and is retired? 

It is not really be a conversion. It is simply applying for a non-o visa after you cancel your extension by leaving the country without a re-entry permit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not really be a conversion. It is simply applying for a non-o visa after you cancel your extension by leaving the country without a re-entry permit.

Thanks, ubonjoe.  I was not aware that a Non-O could be issued strictly for over fifty and retirement with no ties to Thai family or married to a Thai.

• Like 1