Phuket tourist arrivals jump for October no reason to celebrate

snoop1130

Phuket tourist arrivals jump for October no reason to celebrate

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1573006882_1-org.jpg

Source: TAT Intelligence Center

PHUKET:-- An 18% year-on-year jump in the number of international arrivals at Phuket International Airport for the month of October is no reason to celebrate just yet, says Phuket Tourist Association President Bhummikitti Ruktaengam.

The cautionary perspective on Phuket’s coming tourism high season this year-end follows the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Intelligence Center this week reporting that 409,316 international arrivals passed through Phuket airport throughout October, an 18.44% increase on the 345,598 international arrivals recorded during the same month last year.

Mr Bhummikitti warned that the year-on-year jump for October alone is not an indication of the coming high season.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourist-arrivals-jump-for-october-no-reason-to-celebrate-73514.php#E1S1HR5gK3R2rWYj.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-11-06

the average length of stay is getting shorter and shorter,” he cautioned.

The crux of the matter is in the very last sentence. Arrival numbers up but hotel nights possibly down. Despite numbers being up this wasn't the upbeat, positive press release we see from the Ministry of Tourism and the TAT.

Incidentally the Emirates flight I was on a week ago from Dubai to Phuket was no more than one third full!

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The cautionary perspective on Phuket’s coming tourism high season this year-end follows the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Intelligence Center this week reporting that 409,316 international arrivals passed through Phuket airport throughout October, an 18.44% increase on the 345,598 international arrivals recorded during the same month last year.

It really seems like a reason to celebrate!
Who gave you these numbers? Listening to the locals, the situation is absolutely critical, it would be interesting to know where all these "TOURISTS" go!
My opinion?
I'll give it to you even if you don't want it.
You really believe in your <deleted>, but you don't realize that nobody else believes you!

37 minutes ago, 30la said:

Who gave you these numbers? Listening to the locals, the situation is absolutely critical, it would be interesting to know where all these "TOURISTS" go!
My opinion?
You really believe in your <deleted>, but you don't realize that nobody else believes you!

All going to Vietnam. I was there a week ago and it was packed with proper tourists ,just like thailand 15 years ago 555.

All the reports I've heard first hand is that Phuket is really struggling. An 18% increase in arrivals at the airport doesn't mean much if they only stay a couple of days and don't spend much (like Chinese/Indians). Guesthouses and bars/restaurants will be still be closing down.

9 hours ago, 30la said:

My opinion?

"An 18% year-on-year jump in the number of international arrivals at Phuket International Airport for the month of October is no reason to celebrate just yet, says Phuket Tourist Association President Bhummikitti Ruktaengam.

Mr Bhummikitti warned that the year-on-year jump for October alone is not an indication of the coming high season".

Maybe you should have read the article properly.  The spokesman was not celebrating anything but was in fact cautioning that the figures are not to be thought of as anything other than a one month blip!

5 hours ago, SteveK said:

All the reports I've heard first hand is that Phuket is really struggling. An 18% increase in arrivals at the airport doesn't mean much if they only stay a couple of days and don't spend much (like Chinese/Indians). Guesthouses and bars/restaurants will be still be closing down.

That's exactly what the spokesman was saying, that nothing significant should be read into the 18% increase for last month!

Archived