Savannakhet non o based on marriage.

Just confirming, the multiple entry non o marriage visa is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and not a calendar year?

Can you apply for a 12 month extension if you have the multiple entry non o marriage visa?

I've seen mentioned that you can use baht and don't need kip in Laos.  Are prices shown in both currencies or is everyone doing math and converting in their heads when making a purchase?

8 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Just confirming, the multiple entry non o marriage visa is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and not a calendar year?

Can you apply for a 12 month extension if you have the multiple entry non o marriage visa?

I've seen mentioned that you can use baht and don't need kip in Laos.  Are prices shown in both currencies or is everyone doing math and converting in their heads when making a purchase?

The visa is for 1 year, but you exit every 90 days. So you have 5 days left. You do one more run, that gives you 450 days. At the end of that you can get a 60 day extension for 1900 Baht. If you are down the Malay Peninsula, you can cross across to Burma from Ranong. That gives you about 18 month.

Prices in Laos I've seen are in Kip. You can pay in Baht and if you ask you can get your change in Baht. I found them to be friendly people.

Edited by Mosha

8 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

You can apply for a one year extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

I'd give it 6 weeks, I think that's the max, and if your IO has an attitude you may need that extra. One in Ranong wanted to do me for overstay because it was late coming. Luckily her boss liked my wife. However she's in charge now.

18 minutes ago, Mosha said:

I'd give it 6 weeks, I think that's the max, and if your IO has an attitude you may need that extra. One in Ranong wanted to do me for overstay because it was late coming. Luckily her boss liked my wife. However she's in charge now.

Some offices allow doing the application up to 45 days early. But 30 days is normal amount at most offices.

There is no minum number of days to do it other than the last day of the 90 day entry.

• Like 2

Perhaps Ubonjoe can help solve a "discussion" me and the Mrs just had.  I have done my 2 land crossings this year and we are going to Savannakhet Monday to get an O Visa (obviously based on marriage).  The great debate is ... since I have done 2 land crossings this year, that I might not be allowed back in via the Bridge.  I keep telling her its different since I will be coming back to Thailand with a visa not just a visa exempt stamp, etc.

(Yes, we could always fly ... but I HATE flying.)

16 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Perhaps Ubonjoe can help solve a "discussion" me and the Mrs just had.  I have done my 2 land crossings this year and we are going to Savannakhet Monday to get an O Visa (obviously based on marriage).  The great debate is ... since I have done 2 land crossings this year, that I might not be allowed back in via the Bridge.  I keep telling her its different since I will be coming back to Thailand with a visa not just a visa exempt stamp, etc.

There is no limit on the number of land border crossing you can do if you have a valid visa to use for entry.

The 2 entry rule is only for visa exempt entries.

This situation is why VE by land are precious now to be used sparingly. If you are not granted your non o for any reason you will have to fly back to Thailand. Savannakhet will not issue a tourist visa if you have a stay longer that 6 months this year.

Edited by Toosetinmyways

Just got this email.  Wonder if its going to affect Savannakhet?!

New Health Insurance Requirement for Long-Stay Visa Applicants (November 8, 2019)

Event:  As of October 31, 2019, Thailand requires all long-stay (O-A and O-X) visa applicants to carry health insurance.  Per Royal Thai Police Order Number 548/2562 dated September 27, 2019, foreign nationals who have been granted a nonimmigrant O-A or O-X visa must purchase health insurance which covers their length of stay in the Kingdom of Thailand.  The coverage must be no less than 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year for inpatient care and not less than 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year for outpatient services. 

U.S. citizens can present proof of existing insurance (U.S.-based or otherwise) that covers them in Thailand or they can purchase an insurance policy via the Thai General Insurance Association’s website at http://longstay.tgia.org. 

U.S. citizens will need to download the Overseas Insurance Certificate and have it completed, signed, and stamped by their insurance company if using a non-Thai insurance policy to qualify.

Actions to Take:

·        Visit the Royal Thai Embassy website to review visa requirements.

·        Learn more about Thai health insurance policy options.

·        Learn more about Insurance Providers for Overseas Coverage.

U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

American Citizens Services

+66 2 205 4049

+66 2 205 4000 (after hours)

[email protected]

State Department - Consular Affairs

+1 888 407 4747 or +1 202 501 4444

Thailand Country Information

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

New Health Insurance Requirement for Long-Stay Visa Applicants (November 8, 2019)

Event:  As of October 31, 2019, Thailand requires all long-stay (O-A and O-X) visa applicants to carry health insurance.  Per Royal Thai Police Order Number 548/2562 dated September 27, 2019, foreign nationals who have been granted a nonimmigrant O-A or O-X visa must purchase health insurance which covers their length of stay in the Kingdom of Thailand.  The coverage must be no less than 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year for inpatient care and not less than 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year for outpatient services. 

U.S. citizens can present proof of existing insurance (U.S.-based or otherwise) that covers them in Thailand or they can purchase an insurance policy via the Thai General Insurance Association’s website at http://longstay.tgia.org. 

U.S. citizens will need to download the Overseas Insurance Certificate and have it completed, signed, and stamped by their insurance company if using a non-Thai insurance policy to qualify.

Actions to Take:

+66 2 205 4049

[email protected]

Who sent you it...?

14 minutes ago, kurtmartens said:

Actions to Take:

+66 2 205 4049

[email protected]

That's O-A visas the topic is for type O. Going by the date, and if you've just got it. They were late sending it.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 6:52 PM, Number 6 said:

I've done it (many years ago) at savanakhet - as well as six extensions.

I'd rather go with everything I could possibly need rather than a minimum and get turned away and be SOL.

If you are referring to the housebook, my wife's name was changed and it was an issue.

If you are referring to the bank book. I believe nearly every other embassy, consulate requires. So why not?

A smart person would go with everything. A not so smart person would go with the minimum and hope it all works out based on a bunch of strangers first, second hand reports.

Then again you could just be looking for a reason to complain.

If you are referring to the bank book. I believe nearly every other embassy, consulate requires. So why not?.........But Savanakhet Does NOT !!

On 11/7/2019 at 9:08 AM, Toosetinmyways said:

Did my NON O marriage last week. Posted my experience earlier on TVF. No paperwork changes from last 5 NON O at Savannakhet. I would not worry about visa run company days now due to difficulties acquiring a visa in Savannakhet. Numbers on Thursday was 6 visa company people. Total applicants at consulate 25. On Monday visa company 11 people. Total at consulate 30 people. On Friday total applicants 8 people.

I Still plan to go on A Tuesday though !!

On 11/7/2019 at 10:30 AM, pagallim said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't there the requirement for your wife to write a simple handwritten and signed letter letter asking that you be granted a visa on the basis of your marriage?   Seem to recall this from previous threads.

Only in HCMC I Believe !!

29 minutes ago, transam said:

Think you are confusing visa stuff....

Yeah, this is my fault.  I was in a rush to share and not paying attention.  I tried to delete, but can't. 

SORRY EVERYONE FOR THE CONFUSION.  100% my fault.

Edited by kurtmartens
more info
  • Like 2

Hi All,

correct me if I’m wrong now but you can longer get a 1 year multiple non o visa in Savanakhet. They have a new boss there now and I have been told by a very good source that works there that you can only get a 90 day tourist visa there for 5,000 thb. I am frustrated by this a I have always gone to this consulate for the last 4 years with all my genuine certification and documents and obtained the visa. Not sure why they have again changed the rules, maybe they want people to obtain the elite visa for a minimum 500,000 thb!

• Haha 1