American fugitive Bart Allen Helmus dies after shooting himself moments before arrest by Thai police

snoop1130

American fugitive Bart Allen Helmus dies after shooting himself moments before arrest by Thai police

452247.jpg

An American fugitive who shot himself just moments before being apprehended by police in Sa Kaeo province has died.

US national Bart Allen Helmus had been on the run since Monday when along with his Thai wife, Sirinapha Wiset-rit and associate, Noi Nilthes, escaped from Pattaya Provincial Court where they had been due to face drugs charges.

During their escape Helmus stabbed a court guard while Nilthes, who was armed with a gun, forced other guards to hand over the keys to their ankle chains.

They fled to a waiting Isuzu pick up truck. 

Their escape sparked a huge manhunt with hundreds of officers descending across three provinces. 

From the outset police believed the trio would try to head for the border with Cambodia.

On Tuesday, police closed in on the group following the discovery of their getaway vehicle which was found dumped on an industrial estate in Sri Racha.

A second vehicle which police believed the group may have used was then found in Sa Kaeo province on Tuesday evening. 

By Wednesday lunch time, police had captured Noi Nilthes in Sa Kaeo, after he reportedly contacted members of his family revealing his intention to surrender.

Less than two hours later, police had tracked Helmus and wife Wiset-rit to a property in Sa Kaeo.

With police surrounding the couple, Helmus, who was armed with a pistol threatened to kill both himself and his wife. 

Just as police moved in, Helmus shot himself and his wife.

He was rushed to hospital, but died a short time later at Sakaeo Crown Prince Hospital, Naewna reported. 

Wiset-rit also remains in hospital receiving treatment for minor injuries. 

Police confirmed they did not fire any shots at the suspects. 

Helmus, Wiset-rit and Nilthes were arrested in Pattaya in July after being found in possession of nearly 1kg of crystal meth, a pistol and 200 bullets. 

Following their violent bid for freedom, the trio faced a possible death sentence. 

Meanwhile, an investigation is underway to establish how Helmus and Nilthes came to be in possession of a knife and gun.

Source: Naewna 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-06

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, balo said:

Well sounds like a happy ending then , except for the couple. 

"Police confirmed they did not fire any shots at the suspects. "
We can only guess anyway.....

I'm sure he was shot with his gun...at least, I'd certainly expect that.

Now, who actually pulled the trigger, I'd probably be a bit more uncertain about that!

OK, I am confused.  In this thread,

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1132561-thai-woman-who-escaped-from-pattaya-court-arrested-as-police-offer-50000-thb-reward/#comments

it says that she was caught alone about 13 hours ago.  Now this thread it says that she and her husband were caught together a couple of hours after noon. 

Which article is correct?

Like him or not, but turns out he was the only one with balls.

Also unsure if planned or not, but wifey with a good lawyer might just be able to walk free now.

Her defense could and should be , i was not involved, he was forcing me, he was a violent man, 

He is dead,so can not confirm/deny, he did shoot her, while she is pregnant, so evidence enough of being violent.

Might just get a few months or rehab and walk free.

May have been a hardcore criminal but may also have been a decent man to save her from life in jail.

1 minute ago, otherstuff1957 said:

OK, I am confused.  In this thread,

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1132561-thai-woman-who-escaped-from-pattaya-court-arrested-as-police-offer-50000-thb-reward/#comments

it says that she was caught alone about 13 hours ago.  Now this thread it says that she and her husband were caught together a couple of hours after noon. 

No, they thought it was her, but it was someone else pretending to be her

13 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

Shot himself and his wife?

In that order?

What happened to his wife? 

He first shot her and then himself, her injuries are minor, she is also pregnant and baby unharmed.

So perhaps shooting her was a plan to get her off as i explained earlier

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

May have been a hardcore criminal but may also have been a decent man to save her from life in jail.

Nope. He could have done even better for her by not killing himself and testifying in court that his wife had nothing to do with it. He was a coward like most of his ilk. 

2 minutes ago, moto77 said:

Nope. He could have done even better for her by not killing himself and testifying in court that his wife had nothing to do with it. He was a coward like most of his ilk. 

This does not work in Thailand, already had someone on Thai visa in the same situation, where BF confessed GF  had no knowledge and was not involved and yet she was still arrested and charged 

1 minute ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

I’m curious as to what sentence he would have got for the 1kg of ice? I’m sure he could have paid the police off to get a lower sentence.

Since then he went on a irrational destructive suicide path. 

most likely 25 to life, and can not pay off police once matter is in court,

19 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

It's already been confirmed it was the Thai guy that was arrested alone, the wife was still with the American. So the local  news reported it wrong at first. 

26 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm sure he was shot with his gun...at least, I'd certainly expect that.

Now, who actually pulled the trigger, I'd probably be a bit more uncertain about that!

I am not sure about that. Much more fun to have him in Bangkok Hilton and let him have some "special threatment" from time to time. To late for that now.

I think he knew what may be comming his way and took the easy way out.

Given he was facing the death sentence, can't really blame him for avoiding ten years or more of absolute misery in a dung hole Thai prison waiting for it. Had his moment in the spotlight and went out in a blaze of glory, with little other options left. I hope his wife sees some mercy from the courts, but my experience says probably not. Mitigating circumstances here do not really get much heed paid to them by Thai judges, many of whom deserve to burn in hell for their hypocrisy in taking bungs to achieve "desirable" results, in flagrant disregard for what they are on the bench for.

15 minutes ago, BestB said:

most likely 25 to life, and can not pay off police once matter is in court,

I have read in some newspapers that the combination of 1 kg of ice with a gun could also mean a death sentence.

If they believed that that was going to happen their escape attempt is understandable.

May his soul find some peace and rest now.  And hopefully the court will consider some leniency towards the woman and her unborn child.

Regardless of the tragic outcome(s) of his poor decisions, I do feel some empathy as he was clearly challenged in life.

51 minutes ago, CHdiver said:

I am not sure about that. Much more fun to have him in Bangkok Hilton and let him have some "special threatment" from time to time. To late for that now.

I think he knew what may be comming his way and took the easy way out.

As they said on Charlie Harper's funeral, the spit is the devils lube. And you will want that spit.

re cg1 . Hello. I don't applaud his behaviour. But it was an alleged drug dealer stabbing an employee from a well known mafia organisation. But my point is the thais in their corrupt xenophobic ways will happily set up white foreigner and make a huge story about it. Whilst on the other hand cover up the same crimes if involving connected thais. I have not attended expat sunday brekkies for years, so I am unfamiliar with the standing of those. But I do belive expats should wise up, be organised somewhere, and stop biting amongst themselves. Because we are getting to be the sitting ducks of thailand. The elite and establishment of thailand are treating on by law worse or equal than the poor people of thailand. This guy and the thai girl never had a chance to a fair trial or a humane sentencing.

How many 1000s of  foreigners have been falsy accused and sentenced to horrendous sentences the last 20 years in thailand. Do you remember the dutch guy a few years ago who owned a coffee shop in Holland? It could be any of us next time, and nobody will give a hoot, because that's what expats have chosen to be. Inndifferent.  dont think its wise in the long run. my 2 cent

56 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

"so you are obviously all happy then a fellow foreigner is dead"

I don't think the death of a violent meth dealer will bring about a lot of sympathy. Or do you think that violent meth dealers are ok as long as they are fellow foreigners? 

So, you read the whole thing and this is what you felt deserved comment?

Archived