American fugitive Bart Allen Helmus dies after shooting himself moments before arrest by Thai police

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

As Langkawi has said, the courts in Thailand are highly suspect. Try this for size - and I am not making this up. About ten years ago I was enjoying a quiet beer on a Sunday night in a then famous Chiang Mai go-go bar. Quiet night, sat next to a bloke who turned out to be an expat from Oz. He explained that his Thai missus had convinced him to get involved with selling ya-ba, as her family had a connection. They made heaps he said, right up until they were dobbed in by a neighbour jealous of their lifestyle. He told me "the wife didn't have a lawyer, so she got 15 years, but I had all the money and got a very good lawyer and the judge gave me 12 months in jail". I asked him when he had got out of jail, to which he replied "I haven't yet - I've still got 4 months to go" ! When I sought further info, he told me his lawyer had made some sort of $deal with the boss of the CM prison, to let him out of prison at 1800 every Sunday night so he could get a feed of western food (and a bonk) on the strict proviso that he return, like Cinderella, before 2400 hours ! You couldn't make up stuff like this. Amazing Thailand. So liberated. 

Don't believe everything a drunk expat tells you in a go go bar.  

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

OK, I am confused.  In this thread,

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1132561-thai-woman-who-escaped-from-pattaya-court-arrested-as-police-offer-50000-thb-reward/#comments

it says that she was caught alone about 13 hours ago.  Now this thread it says that she and her husband were caught together a couple of hours after noon. 

Which article is correct?

Oh dear, that's the Thai way of truth. Nowadays very popular also in other countries (USA, UK) 

17 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

OK, I am confused.  In this thread,

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1132561-thai-woman-who-escaped-from-pattaya-court-arrested-as-police-offer-50000-thb-reward/#comments

it says that she was caught alone about 13 hours ago.  Now this thread it says that she and her husband were caught together a couple of hours after noon. 

Which article is correct?

Thai media performing at their usual level of accuracy 

17 hours ago, balo said:

It's already been confirmed it was the Thai guy that was arrested alone, the wife was still with the American. So the local  news reported it wrong at first. 

So that report was fake news. will they be held accountable for fake coverage if the story. Where is the fine dividing line, who decides on these enigmatic lines of what is fake and what is not fake. Fake is fake fine the reporter 3,000 bt and 60,000 each for the media outlets that reported it ? 

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:
1 hour ago, Aussiepeter said:

As Langkawi has said, the courts in Thailand are highly suspect. Try this for size - and I am not making this up. About ten years ago I was enjoying a quiet beer on a Sunday night in a then famous Chiang Mai go-go bar. Quiet night, sat next to a bloke who turned out to be an expat from Oz. He explained that his Thai missus had convinced him to get involved with selling ya-ba, as her family had a connection. They made heaps he said, right up until they were dobbed in by a neighbour jealous of their lifestyle. He told me "the wife didn't have a lawyer, so she got 15 years, but I had all the money and got a very good lawyer and the judge gave me 12 months in jail". I asked him when he had got out of jail, to which he replied "I haven't yet - I've still got 4 months to go" ! When I sought further info, he told me his lawyer had made some sort of $deal with the boss of the CM prison, to let him out of prison at 1800 every Sunday night so he could get a feed of western food (and a bonk) on the strict proviso that he return, like Cinderella, before 2400 hours ! You couldn't make up stuff like this. Amazing Thailand. So liberated. 

Don't believe everything a drunk expat tells you in a go go bar.  

"You couldn't make up stuff like this".

Jak2002003 is right, you could!  Your pal in the bar clearly did. 

Where do you imagine he got the cash for a "feed and a bonk"?   As prisoners have no access to cash I suppose the "boss of the prison" gave it to him? 

How would he have got back into the prison at midnight; rang the front door bell to be welcomed back by the guards who would then have to strip search him, then access all the locked areas of the prison just so he could be locked up again with his inmate friends?

18 hours ago, BestB said:

Like him or not, but turns out he was the only one with balls.

Also unsure if planned or not, but wifey with a good lawyer might just be able to walk free now.

Her defense could and should be , i was not involved, he was forcing me, he was a violent man, 

He is dead,so can not confirm/deny, he did shoot her, while she is pregnant, so evidence enough of being violent.

Might just get a few months or rehab and walk free.

May have been a hardcore criminal but may also have been a decent man to save her from life in jail.

You sound like a decent man, by the way you see this.

Best regards.

Congratulations and well done to the Police.

They said that they would capture them and that is exactly what they did.

The more drug dealers off the streets cannot be a bad thing.

I hope he didn't pull the trigger himself as he deserved the pay back.

I am pleased the wife wasn't killed because she is pregnant. I agree with previous threads regarding her getting a good solicitor, however, I still hope she spends a a little time away on holiday in the "Bangkok Hilton" to pay for her part in the escape. She will be taught a good lesson serving her time.

9 minutes ago, NoComment said:

Congratulations and well done to the Police.

They said that they would capture them and that is exactly what they did.

The more drug dealers off the streets cannot be a bad thing.

I hope he didn't pull the trigger himself as he deserved the pay back.

I am pleased the wife wasn't killed because she is pregnant. I agree with previous threads regarding her getting a good solicitor, however, I still hope she spends a a little time away on holiday in the "Bangkok Hilton" to pay for her part in the escape. She will be taught a good lesson serving her time.

Have you considered that she might be the one behind the whole thing?

3 hours ago, Nkpjed said:

So you honestly believe this piece of dog <deleted> was thinking about saving his wife from spending her life in jail when he shot himself in the head??!!!   Yeah he was probably a decent man.  He was so decent he had no hesitation stabbing a police officer to escape jail so he wouldn’t have to pay for his crimes.   Sounds like he was a real decent man.  He was going to spend his life in jail or be executed.  That’s what was going through his mind.  If he gave a rats ass about his wife he would have never dragged her into his sorry life of crime.

You are simply making it up as you go along. Your assumption that he dragged her into a life of crime for one.

Stabbing police officer to escape jail another. From the video it shows that the prison officer was fighting with one of them, then another came back(0:29) to assist the one fighting by stabbing the officer.

From the video alone, it is not clear who came back to do the stabbing. 

The Thai woman is likely more than just complicit. 

8 minutes ago, P100 said:

Did he shoot his wife but injured only ? I guess he knew how to use a gun. A suicide with wife looks differently. Would not be surprised if he shot himself into the back ...

Take note that now they are stating that she is in a "grievous" condition.

It is critically important to know whether all this fuss was over 1 kg (1.0000 kg) or 10000 (ten thousand) KG?

Helluva fuss if it was just a kilo, when there's so many bigger fish out there.

Probably a good photo-op job for catching a bottom-feeding farang dealer.

1 hour ago, balo said:

He is not dead yet ? This is getting ridiculous.   

Indeed, he is dead, he is not dead . He shoots his wife but nothing serious , he shouts her in the head  

He shoots himself prior to being arrested to he fires shots at police and then kills himself.

5 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

And who drove the getaway car?  (They fled to a waiting Isuzu pick up truck. )

I have some escaped's myself so i don't anderstand why thay get them again. Not such a good ascape after all...

10 people were helping them, they claiming a 20 year old brought gun and knife into court  BS, how did he get it into court and how did he get into holding cells area ?

I read this story and think that the American was a low life, druggie.

I do not know what the Thai woman is like, but she seemed to not have made

great choices, marrying this jerk. Then when they are about to get caught,

he shoots her, but lucky for her she does not get a fatal shot. What kind of 

normal husband would do this. Come on, think about it.  No this jerk was just

that, did not want to die alone, so tries to kill his wife first. Complete loser in my

opinion. I am just glad the guy saved Thailand from having to house him in jail

and spend money on feeding him.

Geezer

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I read this story and think that the American was a low life, druggie.

I do not know what the Thai woman is like, but she seemed to not have made

great choices, marrying this jerk. Then when they are about to get caught,

he shoots her, but lucky for her she does not get a fatal shot. What kind of 

normal husband would do this. Come on, think about it.  No this jerk was just

that, did not want to die alone, so tries to kill his wife first. Complete loser in my

opinion. I am just glad the guy saved Thailand from having to house him in jail

and spend money on feeding him.

Geezer

She may well left with differing abilities and or acquired brain injuries from his actions should she survive, not to mention her unborn child

There was an update in mgronline.com yesterday (07/11/19) from the director of Sa Kaeo Crown Prince Hospital where both patients are being treated.
The American man is reported to be brain dead but being kept alive via a ventilator. His pupils don't respond to light.
His Thai wife had surgery to relieve pressure on her brain and is expected to recover. She had told doctors at the hospital that her husband had shot her once on the right side of her head. The bullet hadn't penetrated very deeply so doctors had been able to remove it.
The hospital director also denied she is pregnant, contradicting previous media reports. Her cessation of menstruation had merely been caused by the stress she had been under for the past few months.

Archived