Poll: By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?

By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?  

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?

If so, which visa types?

Select the option in the poll that is closest to your prediction. 

Comment here as well if you wish about the reasons behind your prediction. 

This is an unscientific poll for discussion purposes only.

I make no claim here to have posted a "perfect" poll. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think it's only retirees they are after.

Those looking after a wife or kids will probably be OK.

Retirees are an easy target as there are no 'human rights' issues with causing problems for them.

So if you think it's only about retirees are you predicting that it will expand to retirement extensions based on O?

Also many retirees are using the Elite based visa.

People might say those people are wealthy but in reality that isn't always the case especially after they've spent the money on the Elite membership. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don´t know and I don´t care. In my eyes everybody who lives in Thailand should have a health insurance. An accident can happen so easy and then it can become really expensive. And who is living part time in Thailand should have a travel insurance.

• Like 1

I think eventually everybody who's given a 1 year permission to stay & is over 50 will need to have it (Non-OA, Non-O Retirement, Non-O Marriage & even Elite Visas).

Those using 90 day entries will need to prove they have insurance when applying for new VIsas at the embassy

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sirineou said:

How about those too old to get insurance, what should they have? cyanide?  

Nonsense. What is the age of being too old? 70? How many came in an age over 70? And IF the government will demand an insurance, what will the do? 

Many people relocate to Thailand, because it´s so cheap. But they forget to add an insurance to their yearly costs. 

1 minute ago, CNXexpat said:

Nonsense. What is the age of being too old? 70? How many came in an age over 70? And IF the government will demand an insurance, what will the do? 

Many people relocate to Thailand, because it´s so cheap. But they forget to add an insurance to their yearly costs. 

If I understand this correctly, please correct me if I am not. All those on A-O are required to have are required to have health insurance, all those who got their A-O before this was implemented have a grace period until they get another A-O or get an extension. But with in the next A-O cycle , all will be required.

If the -O  for reasons of retirement is included (as I think it will but who knows) the same will apply , With in one cycle every one on retirement will be required to have insurance regardless of when they came here. 

But again who knows, perhaps they will grandfather in,  the ones here over a certain time.

That's what I would do if you all elected me emperor of the world.

• Like 1

You did not answer the question - what about people who are to old to get any insurance. They may have come here at age 76. Many people have very good insurance but do not have 40000 Baht OPD. They will not qualify.

This was directed to CNXET. Expat.

Edited by pontious

34 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If I understand this correctly, please correct me if I am not. All those on A-O are required to have are required to have health insurance, all those who got their A-O before this was implemented have a grace period until they get another A-O or get an extension. But with in the next A-O cycle , all will be required.

If the -O  for reasons of retirement is included (as I think it will but who knows) the same will apply , With in one cycle every one on retirement will be required to have insurance regardless of when they came here. 

But again who knows, perhaps they will grandfather in,  the ones here over a certain time.

That's what I would do if you all elected me emperor of the world.

What?! Please read my first comment again. I wrote that every Expat should have a health insurance. If he lives part time in Thailand he should have a travel insurance. Not because they must have, in their own interest. Thailand is a 2nd world country with crazy drivers, sidewalks with many holes, signs they fall down, etc. That´s it. 

It´s the same as wearing a helmet or seat belt. If the people don´t wear them, the government makes a law that they HAVE to wear them.

Edited by CNXexpat

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

That they started this with OA visas could be seen as a test run. There are probably many more people using a non-O visa (or extension) than a non-OA visa. Like this they can get everything working properly with just a few affected people if anything goes wrong, and once all processes are working fine they can do the big rollout.

They might also include people with a non-ED visa.

Yes i see it like this also.

I don't forget the initial declaration from the minister at

the origin of all this mess ''all the foreigners more than 50 yo are at risk''

(He means at risk for the finances of the publics hospitals, even if this statement is more than questionable)

so it's just the begining unfortunately

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

What?! Please read my first comment again. I wrote that every Expat should have a health insurance. If he lives part time in Thailand he should have a travel insurance. Not because they must have, in their own interest. Thailand is a 2nd world country with crazy drivers, sidewalks with many holes, signs they fall down, etc. That´s it. 

It´s the same as wearing a helmet or seat belt. If the people don´t wear them, the government makes a law that they HAVE to wear them.

That's not all you said,  Firstly you characterized what i said as "Nonsense"  and  made comments regarding age, "What is the age of being too old? 70? How many came in an age over 70? " To which I pointed out that it does not matter what age one came here  they will all be required to have insurance eventually.

And many of them with luck will reach the age of 70.

So what are they to do then according to you? Since you "don't care" what will you do?

41 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Many of us already have Insurance coverage here in Thailand which makes their policies look silly, for example I have a Global Core policy which has unlimited in-patient AND unlimited outpatient coverage (which I have already used at Bumrungrad Hospital), but these policies are not accepted by Thai Immigration.  They want to force us to buy one of their throw away (useless), overpriced Thai policies which would be like flushing good money down the toilet every year. 

Others are too old (or uninsurable) so your comment proves that you are quite ignorant of the totality of the circumstances at hand here. 

Man, I wrote this. About what are you talking? Yes, there are regulations from the government they are stupid. But it has nothing to do with what I wrote. What´s your point? There are many expats living in Thailand and the government wants to stop this, what´s ok in my eyes. That´s it.

3 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

In my eyes everybody who lives in Thailand should have a health insurance.