Poll: By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?

By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?  

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

I think there is a good chance that it will also be required for non-o visas. But i would give them two years.

If they require insurance, it will probably be required for all types of non-o visas.

That a health insurance requirement will come for the Elite visa is imho unlikely.

I think they also are going to wait a while to see how the mandatory insurance policy scam works out.  Evaluate how easy it was for expats to buy policy, satisfaction or dissatisfaction with policies/service, costs, availability of coverage, etc.  By definition any retiree must be over 50, so issues of coverage, existing condtions, etc.  are going to be there.  And then the issue of "certifying" policies.  Many expats have existing policies even Thai or general global policies and all reports I read said getting foreign policies certified by two directors or whatever was challenging at best.  Not sure the process for that even exists

• Like 1

I am expecting to have to deal with my insurance company to adjust my current policy to qualify. Currently I do not have out patient cover and to be honest would prefer not to be forced into it. If the price is prohibitive, I may be looking into deductibles to bring that down.  Another concern is to bring my insurance renewal date into sync with the extension renewal. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think it's only retirees they are after.

Those looking after a wife or kids will probably be OK.

Retirees are an easy target as there are no 'human rights' issues with causing problems for them.

Agreed, only for retirees. It's those ones who usually aren't insured as many have stated on this forum here before.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, seasia said:

I voted for the 3rd option

"The health insurance requirement will expand to include O visa based retirement extensions"

I think it is almost inevitable.

Whether in 1 year s time or maybe longer, unsure..

That is surely going to cause problems for those with pre existing conditions.

Yes that matches my prediction exactly. 

I added a time frame just to keep it real. It would have been silly to say anytime in the future. 

Of course I hope I'm wrong and they leave the O crew out of this. 

• Like 2

My bet is they will keep it at OA only.

There are going to be massive problems coming out over this in the next few months.

Heat from Visa holders arriving that don't know about it,

people who cant get cover,

admin problems, insurance company scams, fake insurance papers, Officers not following laws properly, consulates not conforming, and not to mention PR and the ever important damage to Thailand's image.

The hospitals will report absolutely no change in their supposed "losses", as it was all BS to start with.

I think this will all end up being a can of worms they wish would go away, and after the backlash im sure they will not want to make it worse by chasing Os and other visa classes.

Edited by pookondee
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I imagine retirees are thought of much the same as BIG BIKES. A potential revenue source that will not <deleted> off the bulk of the population if they tap into it.

As I have an idea what the premiums would be, I can afford it. I should state I would be surprised if the insurance covers anything that would be of use if sick. It’s just free money – another Fee. However, they’re approaching a point where the bother might not be worth it. At that point I will seriously look at Options B and C.

They say; They want Deadbeats out, good guys in. Problem is “Good Guys” have money. If you have money you have options. After ten years in Chiang Mai, S&T are now in Portugal. Kap & C. are talking about winters in Central America/Oaxaca, summer in Alberta. For me Indonesia would be Option A. Option B Winters in Antigua, summers in in the northwest, as of today.   

Oh sorry, yes I think they will but could be in two years or more.

Que será, será.

Hi

Sorry but what does S & T mean, also Kap & C  ?

Thanks.

I started my Plan B earlier this year, various reasons.

Fully intend to take that further.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seasia said:

Sorry but what does S & T mean, also Kap & C  ?

Peoples names S&T means Sarah and T------ 

Just people I knew at one time who lived or are living here.. They are not rich but they certainly have options.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I have a friend,who has a friend that works in a insurance company, he has reported that they have had notification from the Government,that the insurance scheme will be expanded

to cover all long stay expats in Thailand,next year, so it seems this is going to be the last

straw that broke the camel's back,for many here.believe it or not,just dont blame me.

My 84 year old cousin is applying for a 60 day tourist visa to come and visit

at end of the month,what a carry on,she is not into computers ,so has a

neighbour helping her,the application is 5 pages long, picture too light,

picture too dark,copy of bank statements, I just emailed a letter confirming

she will be staying at our house from December to January.,no idea what

is required next, she has been coming for years,before it was just one form

and passport posted off to London,no problem, now this E-Visa must be

putting tourists off coming here.

Regards Worgeordie

"I have a friend,who has a friend "

????

Edited by blackcab
Bold font removed. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording
  • Haha 1

I voted, but I think you are asking the wrong question.

I think the question should be "Will health insurance requirements be required for a one-year stay extension for those holding long-term visas (of any type)?" I think not.

I think that is what the THB 800K or THB 65K-a-month, or THB 400K or THB 40K-a-month requirements are for.

Just my opinion... ????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

Also, collateral damage of the Thai families of "uninsurable" folk. Who takes care of them if/when they force the breadwinner falang out due to no insurance.

I am one of those people who have a "Thai wife" visa since 13 years ; I'm in my 14th year here.. and who are also uninsurable because I'm  over 70 years old.
If this request comes up to my type of visa I will certainly be forced to leave Thailand.
My wife and disabled daughter will be destitute because my small pension, currently just equal to the 40,000 baht required, will be just enough for me in another SE Asian country.
There is no question that I will return to live in Europe. I have already explained it to them;
they do not seem to understand what hangs in their noses.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I voted, but I think you are asking the wrong question.

I think the question should be "Will health insurance requirements be required for a one-year stay extension for those holding long-term visas (of any type)?" I think not.

I think that is what the THB 800K or THB 65K-a-month, or THB 400K or THB 40K-a-month requirements are for.

Just my opinion... ????

Oh please!

I obviously am talking about extensions!

Did you miss this?

The health insurance requirement will expand to include O visa based retirement extensions

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Oh please!

I obviously am talking about extensions!

Did you miss this?

No, I didn't miss that. But you seem to mix up the initial issuance of an O-A visa when health insurance is now required, and the stay extensions for long-term visas after you've been in the country. 

It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the health insurance requirement only applies to the initial issuance of the O-A visa, not the subsequent stay extensions.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

Also, collateral damage of the Thai families of "uninsurable" folk. Who takes care of them if/when they force the breadwinner falang out due to no insurance.

Who took care of them before they met their "breadwinners"?

• Like 2