Poll: By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?

By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?  

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Jingthing said:

You not only could be wrong but you ARE wrong. 

Maybe bone up on current events before criticizing polls based on false assumptions.

Jhingthing, No one I know who have come here on a long-stay visa has been asked about health insurance when applying for their one-year extension, and that includes at least 10 people in the last couple months.

I last entered Thailand on an O-A Long-stay in 2003. I have received one-year extensions every year since -- some based on marriage and some retirement. My last extension was based on retirement. My current one-year extension expires in December, and I don't expect to have to show any health insurance to get my extension.

I'm sorry if my remarks about your survey upset you. I just thought some of the questions you asked were trying to compare future outcomes with a false equivalency.

To make myself more clear, I do think the health insurance requirement might be extended to other visa types, but not to the extensions of those who came here on some kind of long-stay visa. I think that's what the monthly pension deposits or money-in-the-bank requirements are for.

• Haha 1

I'm no expert but it seems to me that the requirement for OA visa health insurance is because no money is kept in Thailand as with other visas.. the Non O with no money in Thailand could become a problem wait and see.  Visas that have a deposit requirement inside Thailand are probably ok for the foreseeable future.. that is my take anyway.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

It is not impossible that over time they will realize that this totally unproductive measure will make short or long-term tourists flee to more welcoming countries.
and when a good habit is taken we rarely come back on it.
If those who have used to come to Thailand for many years start to like Vietnam much more conciliatory than Thailand in terms of tourist visas or other visas, they will quickly forget about Thailand.

if they start meeting the obvious demand and throw up a few girl and reggae bars thailand will be toast. i've seen the beaches and they've got it they just need to promote it.

9 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

i think the number of complaints will continue to rise  exponentially and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration Bureau will grow tired of  the complaints and angry foreigners.  

I think it gives them a woody so I'm expecting more pain in the near future for ALL non-Thais (here in the Land of Smiles).

Edited by MeePeeMai
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MeePeeMai said:

I think it gives them a woody so I'm expecting more pain in the near future for ALL non-Thais (here in the Land of Smiles).

Nah, they love the Chinese.

If only they could figure out how to stop killing quite so many while they're here, everyone would be happy as Larry.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Excuse me if this has already been mentioned.

I think all tourist should/will be required to have Travel insurance.

Already mandatory in all 26 Schengen area countries in europe

Not required for an EU citizens foreign spouse or immediate family members.

And if you take your spouse to the UK on settlement, they buy into the full coverage NHS system, which is not dependent on age or pre-existing medical conditions.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not required for an EU citizens foreign spouse or immediate family members.

If I want to take my Thai wife to the Netherlands, she is required to show travel insurance when applying for a Schengen visa.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Why would it need to be expanded? If the intention was to include everyone it would have been done when the initial insurance requirements were being discussed. The immigration people aren't known for subtlety.

My personal take on it all is that the changes requiring 400k to be kept in the bank equals the 400k insurance for those on an OA visa. For married folk, they have family to support them. 

As I said that is my personal take on the matter and I'm sure other people have their own opinions.

I do get the feeling some people thrive on drama, real or imagined. I'm not one of them fortunately.

It would be fine,(it should be ) if one could Use the THB400K /THB800K  But if one uses that even if one tops that back up before applying for the Next extension One can/t get a new extension Because the money Has to Stay In the Bank.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, digger70 said:

It would be fine,(it should be ) if one could Use the THB400K /THB800K  But if one uses that even if one tops that back up before applying for the Next extension One can/t get a new extension Because the money Has to Stay In the Bank.

Also income method people have no minimum bank balance requirements at all! 

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So if you think it's only about retirees are you predicting that it will expand to retirement extensions based on O?

Also many retirees are using the Elite based visa.

People might say those people are wealthy but in reality that isn't always the case especially after they've spent the money on the Elite membership. 

Unless we see the statistical basis for the numbers of those holding various Visas (from a reliable source) we have only unfounded speculation. Same with the statistics concerning the stiffing of medical bills.

3 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Unless we see the statistical basis for the numbers of those holding various Visas (from a reliable source) we have only unfounded speculation. Same with the statistics concerning the stiffing of medical bills.

So? 

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

How about those too old to get insurance, what should they have? cyanide?  

Understood, your opinion. Now my equal opinion. Had a heart attack here in 2025 (5 by-passes in 2005). Cannot qualify for health insurance which would pay for the pre- existing conditions. Oh, 2015? 411,000 baht bill. Have insurance that paid 5000usd, I paid the rest from personal funds (ouch). One demand fits all? Easier to administer but driving folks to just change Visas or go elsewhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes that matches my prediction exactly. 

I added a time frame just to keep it real. It would have been silly to say anytime in the future. 

Of course I hope I'm wrong and they leave the O crew out of this. 

In which case, I just switch my O-A to an O. Somehow I don’t think Thai Immigration will not be watching this “out”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am Korean (Rep of Korea) passport holder aged over 60 and got Non-imm O-A visa Oct 25th 2019 from Thai Embassy in Korea. Entered Suv airport Nov. 4 and the immigration officer at airport asked me proof of medical insurance. I explained Thai Embassy did not ask for medical insurance to apply visa and they confirmed  visa application after Oct 31 will required this paper. They also confirmed no medical proof docs to enter Thailand with this visa which issued before Oct 31.

I understand the insurance requirement is effected to the visa application after Oct 31. That is insurance certificate will be a necessary paper to apply visa, not to show when enter to Thailand. 
I cannot understand why airport entry immigration ask for this paper.

16 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Understood, your opinion. Now my equal opinion. Had a heart attack here in 2025 (5 by-passes in 2005). Cannot qualify for health insurance which would pay for the pre- existing conditions. Oh, 2015? 411,000 baht bill. Have insurance that paid 5000usd, I paid the rest from personal funds (ouch). One demand fits all? Easier to administer but driving folks to just change Visas or go elsewhere.

Same here. At my age, insurance in Thailand will only cover me for the Ebola. I have enough funds to self insure for emergencies and visits to the doctor. for everything else I would have to skedaddle back to the US. 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That ship has sailed. 

yes, thanks to people starting polls like this. Don't you know that authorities read this website?   Are you the person who had the neighbor thai person who was a high official in immigration and you constantly complained to about the embassy/consulate statements on your morning rides???

Again, as someone brought up just now, if you have a medical need to spend the monies required to be in the bank all year, then even if you top up two months prior to the next extension, you will or can be denied.

Thanks to all who complained about those affidavits, causing untold problems to even your country men I believe. Yes, some folks gamed the system for various reasons, not something the Thais are unfamiliar with.

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1