Poll: By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?

By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?  

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

You did it on the 27th October. We have already been down this route. No insurance was required on that date.

Officially into the trolling level.. He knows exactly that and is simply making up false info now. 

Mods should warn. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

if you arrived last month, on an OA which created a 12 month entry, how are you going for your extension already. 

So far you have claimed airport entry.. Now extension.. All in ways that contradict what you previously posted. 

He is 80 yo and he has no clue of what about he is talking about

probably confusing mixing the visas (Not even sure what visa he has had initialy) and the extensions

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

He is 80 yo and he has no clue of what about he is talking about

probably confusing mixing the visas (Not even sure what visa he has had initialy) and the extensions

No.. No one can be that stupid, hes had it explained and hes now just making stuff up to mess up the forums data gathering. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

No.. No one can be that stupid, hes had it explained and hes now just making stuff up to mess up the forums data gathering. 

You should be surprised to discover how some here can be really out of this world

and not only when they are in a respectable advanced age.

Thailand is a receptacle for some specimen out of competition

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DavidBak said:

I am Korean (Rep of Korea) passport holder aged over 60 and got Non-imm O-A visa Oct 25th 2019 from Thai Embassy in Korea. Entered Suv airport Nov. 4 and the immigration officer at airport asked me proof of medical insurance. I explained Thai Embassy did not ask for medical insurance to apply visa and they confirmed  visa application after Oct 31 will required this paper. They also confirmed no medical proof docs to enter Thailand with this visa which issued before Oct 31.

I understand the insurance requirement is effected to the visa application after Oct 31. That is insurance certificate will be a necessary paper to apply visa, not to show when enter to Thailand. 
I cannot understand why airport entry immigration ask for this paper.

What did they stamp you? 30 days? 

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

You do understand that to get an annual extensions of stay from an OA based entry, you need 800k in the bank or 65k a month income AND insurance dont you ?? 

I have had an OA visa for many years.. applied for in my own country.. no money in a Thai bank required.. the change for me now is that I would need insurance.. get it? 

2 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

I have had an OA visa for many years.. applied for in my own country.. no money in a Thai bank required.. the change for me now is that I would need insurance.. get it? 

How do you manage to hold an O-A for many years without needing money in a Thai bank, that's not possible, unless you mean O-A visa's?.

Edited by saengd

39 minutes ago, saengd said:

How do you manage to hold an O-A for many years without needing money in a Thai bank, that's not possible, unless you mean O-A visa's?

Applying for a Non immigrant OA visa in your home country requires proof of finances in your country.. no need for money in a Thai bank.. this is why I think they are targeting this visa  and not others.. I could be wrong but it is the only explanation that I can see.. I have been able to get 2 years from a visa.. at the end of the first year I have done a border run.. on re-entry I get permission to stay for a further year.. after the second year I have to return to Australia to get a new visa.. which has not been a problem as I return regularly anyway.. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Royco said:

If I want to take my Thai wife to the Netherlands, she is required to show travel insurance when applying for a Schengen visa.

When I took my lady to the UK I was NOT required to show medical insurance for her. 

6 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Yeah again.. Lets not read the actual announcements of this long term plan then hey ?? 

2090252950_Healthinsurance-allgroups.jpg.f18ecdae07553ab55480274d1f0fafc7.jpg

If I'm correct how do you draw an conclusion on such a general statement?   Look at the Threads hundreds of them regarding the application of the extension after the letter from embassy were discontinue. Look at the Threads hundreds of them regarding the application of the TM-30.  Since you did the research you can also look up these English written guidelines regarding the topics I just mentioned.

When it comes to comprehension of the English language what has been translated is not what they actually want or lets she can't be applied properly by the immigration personnel that is the problem with the Thai government.

3 hours ago, saengd said:

The possibility of contagion is really important, the fact that only O-X and O-A visa holders are affected at present doesn't mean O visa holders won't be affected later. For a person who is say 70 year old currently, the choice is whether to gamble that O visa's will never be included and to not enrol for health insurance now. If they make the wrong call and O visa's are included later, it may not be possible to enrol for health insurance or if they can, only at a cost that is so high as to be prohibitive. It's kinda scary for many, I'm 70 in four months time and I'm planning on moving to an O visa based on marriage. But what if in three years time they close the net to include everyone, that leaves some of us with only a single choice of a very pricey Pacific Cross policy and precious few options.

As you're female & considering a Non-O based on marriage, I'm going to assume that you're married to a Thai guy, aren't there other (easier) options for you to stay in Thailand, isn't PR a lot easier for you to get then you'd have none of these Visa concerns?

If you're not married to a Thai guy, is a NON-O based on marriage available to you? I always thought this was only available to spouses of Thai citizens.

Being male & not married, I'm not up on these things, but understand that it easier for a foreign woman married to a Thai guy, than it is for a foreign man married to a Thai lady.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

As you're female & considering a Non-O based on marriage, I'm going to assume that you're married to a Thai guy, aren't there other (easier) options for you to stay in Thailand, isn't PR a lot easier for you to get then you'd have none of these Visa concerns?

I would have thought applying for citizenship was the way forward, assuming her Thai husband is employed (that's about the only restriction on a female spouse applying).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:
16 hours ago, Royco said:

If I want to take my Thai wife to the Netherlands, she is required to show travel insurance when applying for a Schengen visa.

When I took my lady to the UK I was NOT required to show medical insurance for her. 

When my G's sister wants to visit the other sister in Netherlands she usually hits me up for the insurance fee.  ????    So yes they must have it, among other documents.  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Bang on the money there DSD.

The way Cha Cha brown nosed to the China boss; well it makes you think. it's only time bfore we (farang) are forced out. Plenty of Indians and Chinese to take our place. 

I have just returned from my visa agent. I think this will be my last 12 months here. I've enjoyed the odd moment, and have a wonderful daughter. Just hope she can join me when I have to leave.

I am starting to think the same.

All these new requirements are really an underhand and subtle way of pushing out the farang.

IMO, it all has to do with certain people who cant handle hearing ANY criticism at all, from anyone. 

Indians and Chinese are distracted with other pursuits, they certainly dont waste time talking politics online, rant about corruption, slur and make fun of people.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Sadly I think you are right! 

The ship sailed the first time some tool got on Thaivisa and mentioned

"brown paper bags", probably 20-30 years ago.

It was tolerated for a long time, until someone who cant tolerate it came along.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i've thought about this a lot the last few days and i personally feel the o visa will be safe for one specific reason, its a 90 day visa and no-one with a straight face can demand a 1 year insurance policy for a 90 day entrance. so with that 'assumed' i'd say the only way the o would be enforced is if insurance companies started offering 90 day policies in the same light as travel insurance can and does.

it's a possibility but i feel a long way off.

what i'd be more worried about is extensions of stay. with them it is a 1 year term so insurance could certainly be required. i'd expect the policy to be rolled out to all extensions except work based sometime these next few years starting with retirement then out to marriage and possibly beyond. wouldn't be feeling too safe on an elite either for the exact same reasoning

But already obtaining multiple entry non imm Os is becoming impossible in some countries. 

Not hard to see them stopping multiple entry non imms with an 'extend incountry' or a max sequential issue in local consulates.. Takes very little effort to close that 'hole'.. 

Who wants to go back to begging for visas every 90 days like some backpacker in thier retirement years ?? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

'threads' and angry frustrated posters, do not Thai law make !! 

Look at the cabinet resolutions, look at the ministerial guidelines, look at what the government themselves are telling you, not some bum in a singha singlet complaining about something he hasnt read, cant understand, and has miss understood. 

If you cant read that above, and see that they clearly want to expand it to all visitors over time, your living in denial. Maybe they will fail, maybe they will change the plan and policy due to pushback or economic problems or anything else. But thats clear as day. 

The last paragraph is the only thing that has made any sense.  I've understood everything that has been said believe it or not and I agree but I don't go quoting everything people write then responding as if one was drunk.  Go back to your post here and read what you posted first two paragraph why in hell go through all the words and nonsense to respond just express what you think? 

You also did this with a number of others sure we all have a comprehension problem but you make it 100% tougher kind of comes across like you are angry and frustrated? 

From your last statement if I'm correct we agree on the government but it is tough when you ramble along as if you too are getting at the ripe age? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1