Poll: By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?

By this time next year, do you think the health insurance requirement for O-A will migrate to other visa types?  

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Please explain how you come to that conclusion.. Its black and white. 

Everyone saying 'its confusing' 'its badly written' 'these thai rules' etc.. How else can you read this. 

OA-Rules.jpg

livinLOS, Thanks for this. It is very explicit and the first I have seen this, BUT...it appears to only apply to those who entered Thailand on an O-A visa and are now applying for a year's stay extension based on RETIREMENT qualifications (see Reason of Necessity / 2.22 In case of retirement above in the upper right-hand corner).

Do you have a copy of this order as applies to "In case of MARRIAGE"? I entered Thailand in 2008 on an O-A visa, and since then have obtained nine extensions of stay. Some have been extensions based on retirement criteria,  and some on marriage. My current extension, which expires in mid-Dec, was based on retirement. I've considering applying for my next extension of stay in Dec based on marriage.

Any clarification about this would be helpful. My local immigrations (Phetchabun) has never heard of any health insurance requirement -- or so they said two weeks ago.

Thanks...

On 11/6/2019 at 3:20 PM, CNXexpat said:

I don´t know and I don´t care. In my eyes everybody who lives in Thailand should have a health insurance. An accident can happen so easy and then it can become really expensive. And who is living part time in Thailand should have a travel insurance.

Why? Do you know that insurances have a max cover and it is pretty low with cheap insurance? Only social insurance covers a lot and it is not available for people not working in Thailand. If something happens I go to a public hospital, which I can afford, and pay cash. 

6 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

Why? Do you know that insurances have a max cover and it is pretty low with cheap insurance? Only social insurance covers a lot and it is not available for people not working in Thailand. If something happens I go to a public hospital, which I can afford, and pay cash. 

I have an insurance which covers 1.2 million Baht per year and it´s not too expensive. If I have a serious accident my wife doesn´t has to worry how to pay and in which hospital they bring me. I have been in a public hospital for the driver license check and for sure I don´t want to spend there one single night. Never ever.

7 hours ago, arthur john said:

Soon people from the western world will mostly not be able to afford to retire here as currencies are falling and requirements to stay rising , I hear the Philippines is a popular choice for many brits leaving Thailand as the UK has a reciprocal agreement with them meaning pensions rise every year and free medical .

The world is changing , it has been said do not burn your bridges and by the looks of what is now happening good advice ! Hopefully the thai government will let those of us who are older with long term wives be exempt from rule changes , Iam ok as money has been invested to look after myself and wife and my wife when the enevitable happens ! Where I live not many farangs as nearly all seem to have gone

UK has a reciprocal Social Security agreement with Philippines so your Pension  will continue to receive yearly COL (Cost of Living) increases BUT we have no more rights to healthcare there than any other country has... US ex-servicemen are well supported in the major cities by their healthcare provider (Medicare???) though

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arthur john said:

Soon people from the western world will mostly not be able to afford to retire here as currencies are falling and requirements to stay rising , I hear the Philippines is a popular choice for many brits leaving Thailand as the UK has a reciprocal agreement with them meaning pensions rise every year and free medical .

The world is changing , it has been said do not burn your bridges and by the looks of what is now happening good advice ! Hopefully the thai government will let those of us who are older with long term wives be exempt from rule changes , Iam ok as money has been invested to look after myself and wife and my wife when the enevitable happens ! Where I live not many farangs as nearly all seem to have gone

There's very little change in the exchange rates of most western currencies.

Predictions of doom based on the value of the Thai baht are pointless.

There's plenty of other countries in which to easily live.

No free medical for Brits in the Philippines.

Edited by BritManToo

On 11/8/2019 at 3:38 PM, billsmart said:

Do you have a copy of this order as applies to "In case of MARRIAGE"?

Here it is (2.18) the older version of 2.22, prior to the amendment of finance requirement, is still there. So in any argument regarding a marriage extension we should show this and point out that the specific requirement (for marriage) remain unchanged. But I still feel that if you are (marriage) extending a non OA, getting an O at the first opportunity (holiday) is a good idea.

Immigration Bureau order 327-2557 (2014) - extension criteria & conditions en.pdf

• Thanks 1

Brit man too

the thai baht does seem to be an exception but I do not think it value will stay high . For now it is seen as a safe haven ! Time will tell ! With the age of retirement rising in many countries expat numbers I think will fall not just here but to many countries! As for tourists travel insurance  is something you have to pay up front and claim when you return home ! 

It will be fair if every visa holder had a minimum of insurance in Thailand. Seen to many found me pages lately, and quite surprised they even drive motorbikes without insurance, or do other activities, I would normaly reckon as risky. Same as heavy drinkers and smokers goes the same way. How the hell can they live in Thailand without proper security, and also live an risky life is beyond me. 

The only reason I could see, if they have couple of millions in their pockets reserved only for <deleted> happens.