Thailand falls to 74th place in EF English Proficiency Index 2019

webfact

54 minutes ago, kevvy said:

Sorry , This is Thailand and they speak their native language, I do not see why they have to learn a another language

Jeez, you are worse than the Thai gov ...!

You don't want the young Thai kids to be able to communicate outside of Thailand? Travel outside of Thailand? Work outside of Thailand?

Or work inside of Thailand with customers outside of Thailand in offices, communicate properly with tourists etc.?

Crazy & pathetic post to read from a Farang! ... you are almost as xenophobic as the Thai's get told they have to be ... well done!

We are talking about plain simple basic english here, to be able to communicate with the world ... not latin! 

Really, the Farangs in Thailand when they get too much and too deep into Thailand, lose all form of common sense. Plain crazy!

Don't want a nations kids and future to learn international english? ... this is Thailand, we speak Thai here ... out of a Farangs mouth ...makes my blood boil.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Ventenio said:

There are many non-native "teachers" who tell their students, "OK, get pen out bag."   Sure, a native accent would be helpful; however, these "teachers" are probably on par with an eight-year old kid in the UK.  I had a friend who worked in a language center, and I would go there quite often.  Parents would complain he was expensive, but then get mad when the non-native teachers at the kid's school spoke more in their native language than English.  Would you really study Thai with a non-Asian teacher in London?  OK, you save money with these non-natives, but really everyone loses.  The non-natives are not getting rich.  When you don't care if your English teacher can speak English, well, there you go.  

Better than the way the English inbred younger generation speak. Please be honest. 

5 hours ago, gimo said:

I think most of the non native English speaking teachers in Singapore , have spent a considerable amount of time studying in western countries , unlike the average Thai teachers who teach English here . Less need for native speakers under those circumstances .

Not true. Most English teachers in Malaysia and Singapore have never studied in Western countries before.

In Malaysia, after taking the SPM (Malaysia's equivalent of the GCE 'O' Level), future teachers enrol into teacher training institutes. After working for a couple of years as teachers, some may seek permissions to take up courses on the English Language at local universities. Those with degrees in English may teach upper secondary school students on that subject.

The SPM English Language subject is graded by two examination syndicates, one local, the other by University of Cambridge, so students get an additional certificate such as this one:

034o11.png

15 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Schools are more than ever pushing Chinese in the classrooms...I think they know something we are yet to accept...Thailand and Chinese ties are the wave of the future...????

Rail has been losing billions for decades due to the advent of aviation therefore obviously invest trillions in rail. The Chinese give Thailand the booby prize for which they must pay trillions. China, their good friend. Dumb and dumber. 

15 hours ago, 30la said:

Why learn English?
The "Leader of the Leaders" explained to his people that in a few years the Thai language will be the new "WORLD LANGUAGE"!
And then, foreigners want to come to Thailand, then learn Thai!

But they can't get an ed visa, lol

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand needs to get it's act together, hire 25,000 foreign, native English speakers, and just suck it up and admit that they have failed miserably, their educational system is hopelessly broken, their kids are not learning much, and they are so far behind the curve, it is astonishing. Man up! Do the right thing! Help your people! For once, do something that actually benefits the common people. 

Also, during my trips to Indonesia, I found the locals spoke far better english than most Thais. 

I think Thailand should hire ethnic Chinese teachers from Malaysia. They can teach English and Mandarin. 

13 hours ago, thequietman said:

When your uni immediately stops increasingly your salary yearly citing, "New government, new government" and then openly wastes money on sanook activities, then your motivational levels take a dive.

They then ask students( who can't & won't speak any English) to assess you every semester! <deleted>! If the students don't like you because:

1. Him too serious. Lessons not sanook.

2. Him talk too quickly, need to slow down to my retarded level.

3. Him make tests too hard! Have to study to pass his tests. No good.

.... then you don't get renewed! You don't get renewed because you tried to teach them! LOL ????

....... and many other nonsense comments, you can see why we just pass them and get them the hell out of our lives. Also, if you fail students, the faculty blames You!

You are judged by the students that you fail!

...... and these are only a few of the many issues in the "Thai Education System." ????

You obviously learnt nothing from the Thai culture course. They should have failed you instead of passing you. And you'd still have a job. They don't want neo colonialists here. 

20 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And will keep dropping while schools would rather pay low salaries to non-native speakers of English.
My neighbour has two sons at a government school whose "English" teacher comes from Camaroon!

They says no-one in the class even the Thai English assistant teacher can understand a word he says.

Nuff said.

Much of the recruitment and employment of "Native" English Speaking Teachers is now in the hands of "agents". The school approaches the agents, and asks them to supply three Native Speaking Teachers. The School pays, let us say, ThB 35,000 per month for each teacher. The teacher is paid ThB 20,000 per month, the difference is kept by the agent, who pays a substantial "kickback" to the management of the school Once the agent has met the initial costs of "arranging" qualifications, visas, licences and work permits (What qualifications do your candidates have? What qualifications would you like them to have?) he is left with a substantial profit. The Director of the school is happy. And the pupils? They suffer the situation you have described.

There is, in the city in which I live, a large well funded and well resourced government school. It is something of a "demonstration school" It rather prides itself on having a large number of foreign (white) teachers. Most of it's staff are provided by an agency. There are Turks, Bulgarians, Poles and many other nationalities amongst the team. I am sure that many Turks, Bulgarians, Poles and other nationalities speak and can teach excellent English. I am equally sure that they will not come to Thailand to work for ThB20,000 a month.

12 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Bit of a slap in the face to the many English teachers who are members of this forum.

Not really.

Those of us who don't care will not be bothered.

Those of us who do care will (as I and several others have) regularly advance reasons as to why, and perhaps suggest what can be done to improve things.

7 hours ago, RedPill said:

Jeez, you are worse than the Thai gov ...!

You don't want the young Thai kids to be able to communicate outside of Thailand? Travel outside of Thailand? Work outside of Thailand?

Or work inside of Thailand with customers outside of Thailand in offices, communicate properly with tourists etc.?

Crazy & pathetic post to read from a Farang! ... you are almost as xenophobic as the Thai's get told they have to be ... well done!

We are talking about plain simple basic english here, to be able to communicate with the world ... not latin! 

Really, the Farangs in Thailand when they get too much and too deep into Thailand, lose all form of common sense. Plain crazy!

Don't want a nations kids and future to learn international english? ... this is Thailand, we speak Thai here ... out of a Farangs mouth ...makes my blood boil.

The daughter of a family in our village has spent the last 4 years in China learning the language. When she returns she works as a guide for Chinese tourists. She also speaks English. I think the time has passed for english to be the first alternative language for Thai people. Not that learning any language can't be rewarding, just as a practical matter.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:55 AM, edwinchester said:

All part of the Generals cunning plan to make Thai the world's No. 1 language.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/01/12/rao-tum-dai-thai-could-be-world-new-english-prayuth-says/

Well I don't know where Prayut got that from, I've just read my British/Thai son's school report. Points out of 50, English language 49, Thai language 20. 

20 hours ago, cnx101 said:

Worked in a school in Bangkok for a short time a few years ago, like being in the monkey house at the zoo, the kids have no interest just screaming and shouting and playing, I would never ever do this job again.

I tried it as well, gave up at it as I said I am not a babysitter but happy to teach those that want to learn

2 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

The daughter of a family in our village has spent the last 4 years in China learning the language. When she returns she works as a guide for Chinese tourists. She also speaks English. I think the time has passed for english to be the first alternative language for Thai people. Not that learning any language can't be rewarding, just as a practical matter.

When I was a kid, I was put to an expensive school to study German as it was the dominating language in the business world in the 80s, 90s. "You are going to get any job since you are so proficient in German" my parents told me. Same about Spanish. And how did it turn out? I go to Spain, they are happy to talk English to me (they like to practice.) In Germany, every business conversation is in English. I master Swedish, but the business language is English. I only need the local languages if I speak with low class workers at the grocery shop. My Chinese friends in Germany and Sweden complain there is no job that requires Chinese language, not even at the Chinese companies there. In the era of the dominating English language, I feel this is a waste of time. Unless you are a tour guide and have to talk to low skilled tourists, but that is not a fancy job itself. I expect the Chinese middle class to be quite proficient in English in some years. I'm convinced they rather listen to good English than the Thai style Chinese when they come for a tour here in Thailand.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:08 AM, Thailand said:

We have a few Chinese friends who are here with their kids. All are in schools that teach English, most have employed English teachers after school because the in school standards are so low.

In China the kids are only taught to pass exams. The oral element of the exam is only 5% of the mark. Consequently you have A grade students who cant string a spoken sentence together.

Is it the same in Thailand?

30 minutes ago, Traubert said:

In China the kids are only taught to pass exams. The oral element of the exam is only 5% of the mark. Consequently you have A grade students who cant string a spoken sentence together.

Must say i have met a good few Chinese kids who can speak English quite well.  On the streets of China they are often keen to approach you and talk to you if you are willing.  From my observations in Thailand for the past thirteen and a half years the kids here are 99% clueless, as are the majority of the Adults !

It's too bad that someone like me who wants to teach English is prevented from doing that in any capacity.

There are (or were) a large number of retired folk aching to earn a few baht and help the country too by teaching English.

Such a waste of an untapped resource.

Sometimes I feel a little trapped by the language barrier here in Isaan, and even at the beach areas a bit.  Sure, I know basic words and can make a few simple sentences.  But not easy to learn a tonal language in your golden years.  My considerably younger Thai wife has become fluent in English TG...

14 hours ago, kevvy said:

Sorry , This is Thailand and they speak their native language, I do not see why they have to learn a another language .When I was at school they taught french and Latin. ??? My step daughter had to learn Japanese at her school.

Exactly!

We all should stick to speaking only our mother tongue!

What a great world that would be!

70 million Thais only speak Thai, so they can exactly communicate with each other!

I am a bit better of, because at least in Austria, parts of Switzerland, a bit of Holland and Denmark, German is understood and spoken!

Of course the English are better off, the French or the Spanish/ Portugese...long live Colonialism!

But everybody else...please don't learn to communicate with the outside world!

You are brilliant! 

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Must say i have met a good few Chinese kids who can speak English quite well.  On the streets of China they are often keen to approach you and talk to you if you are willing.  From my observations in Thailand for the past thirteen and a half years the kids here are 99% clueless, as are the majority of the Adults !

I agree with you about Chinese young people. Often students took every possible opportunity to have conversations with me.

Of course it could have been my rockstar good looks???

It unfortunately doesn't happen often enough in Thailand.

8 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Ok good, different languages can vary in importance for different industries

... english has not been past by time, it's the one language the world has more or less agreed on to communicate.

What language are we speaking on this forum? 

Just a quick example, look at the Philippine over sea workers ... it opens doors and careers for them.

15 hours ago, Selatan said:

Not true. Most English teachers in Malaysia and Singapore have never studied in Western countries before.

In Malaysia, after taking the SPM (Malaysia's equivalent of the GCE 'O' Level), future teachers enrol into teacher training institutes. After working for a couple of years as teachers, some may seek permissions to take up courses on the English Language at local universities. Those with degrees in English may teach upper secondary school students on that subject.

The SPM English Language subject is graded by two examination syndicates, one local, the other by University of Cambridge, so students get an additional certificate such as this one:

034o11.png

You obviously have a lot of info / experience regarding Malaysian schools . I only spoke about assumptions regarding Singaporean teachers .

On 11/7/2019 at 5:01 AM, Youlike said:

Just have a look at the young staff in ALL thai shops....there's nobody at all who speaks english....even not in the most hi-so malls.

Of course one step better is an Immigration officier without any English proficiency, at all.

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Sure if the parents have the money and enroll their kids in a private training centre extra-curricular and many do. I was referring to the mainstream education system where results are all that matters.

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

Naomi went to School in China, her English is great, as are a few other things about her ????

Get rid of employment agents such as SINE,  Media Kids etc.. who are simply out to line pockets by employing chain smoking, beer drinking,  x-cons, plus so called native speaking individuals that are unable  to string a coherent English sentance together.

Employ individuals that speak the Queens English, preferably from the UK, not native speakers who do not or cannot speak .the Queens English.

Thai school Directors plus Thai teachers should stop pocketing student funds as well as non Thai teachers salaries,. More pro-activeness plus far less  school holidays with more attendamce to class by Thai teachers should be put in place and stricter with students instead of putting the student in cotton wool, going shopping, playing on thier phone whilst  in the classroom, eating and so on...

Make the process of employment far easier instead of the B.S ,go here go there, copy upon photo copy of documents etc...Give higher salaries instead of the out dated 30 to 35,000 thb per month!!!

Thai seem to consider themselves above all other cultures, but it is clear to see that Thai are not and that Thai have, do and will always rely on foreigners.

Wake up Thai, most people on this planet communicate in English, not Thai!

7 hours ago, Traubert said:

Unfortunately, far too often in Thailand the school instructs the teachers to award a pass to all the students, irrespective of attendance or any ability demonstrated in class work or examinations.

4 hours ago, Bezdomny said:

Result if you are hiring unqualified NES teacher with irrelevant BA and with "two Mondays one Tuesday" TEFL course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English_Proficiency_Index

The idea of the requirement for a Bachelor's Degree is to demonstrate a proven standard of academic attainment. The subject is not particularly relevant. The holder of a BA in English, for example, will have spent their university time studying, analysing and discussing English Literature, An encyclopaedic knowledge of the subtlety of the social comment in Jane Austen's novels is of little use when explaining simple tenses to twelve year olds! In fact, I would suggest that any studies of English beyond GCE "O" level (I show my age there!) is not particularly relevant

The TEFL qualification required to be licenced as a teacher has, if I recall correctly, to be acknowledged and accredited by the Ministry of Education. The basic standard is a fairly intensive one month course, including assessed lessons in real schools. The one which I did some years ago, involved some 120 hours of classroom study, 6 observed and critiqued teaching practices in local schools, at various age levels, and quite a stiff English grammar written exam. Students have been known to fail the course. Of course, these requirements can and are bypassed by the more "creative arrangements" of the agencies which handle most recruitment of "Native" English speaking teachers!

Archived