Thailand's tourism authority is reminding travellers about its smoking ban

webfact

Thailand's tourism authority is reminding travellers about its smoking ban

ANDREA SMITH

Lonely Planet Writer

beach.jpg.079ee3b66308b110be9abf745efc80d3.jpg

FIILE photo

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is reminding travellers about its smoking ban in public areas, which aims to promote a safe, clean and smoke-free environment for all.

The ban was introduced in Thailand in 2014 for health reasons, and visitors should be aware that electronic cigarettes, shisha smoking and electronic shishas are also illegal. They should also bear in mind that there is a smoking ban on beaches across the country, which came into effect in November 2017 as part of the country’s sustainable tourism efforts. The reason the tourism authority is reminding visitors is because there have been recent incidents of travellers who were unaware of the rules breaking the law and being faced with on-the-spot fines or being arrested.

Travellers are advised not to bring any electronic cigarettes or shishas with them, nor any item or equipment associated with e-cigarettes including the ‘juice’ used in the device. The Ministry of Tourism and Sports is advising travel agents or tour operators to ensure that their clients are aware of the ban...

Full story: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/thailand-smoking-ban

-- Lonely Planet 2019-11-07

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

The reason the tourism authority is reminding visitors is because there have been recent incidents of travellers who were unaware of the rules breaking the law and being faced with on-the-spot fines or being arrested.

And are locals who break exactly the same rules subject to the same fines?

13 minutes ago, johng said:

Totally ridiculous  when you look at the air quality figures..field burning,forest burning, rubbish burning, public transport belching black diesel fumes..and they worry about a few people smoking cigarettes !!!   :w00t:

You beat me to it.

I was just about to ask why the ban doesn't include burning plastic domestically, for example. That's definitely more hazardous to the public.

1 hour ago, johng said:

Totally ridiculous  when you look at the air quality figures..field burning,forest burning, rubbish burning, public transport belching black diesel fumes..and they worry about a few people smoking cigarettes !!!   :w00t:

I imagine it's a whole lot easier to collect fines from tourists...

Don't come to thailand because you can't smoke drink most of the  day and if that's not enough the hospitals shops restaurants and taxis will over charge you.I won't even talk about the beaches and the other hazards in Thailand because I don't have enough time. .. Right I'm off for a fag and a beer 555.

2 hours ago, Farmerkev said:

Amazing that even though electronic cigarettes/vaping is illegal in thailand why is it possible to buy them and oils at various market stalls in hua hin, pattaya and bangkok that i have seen as well as lazada selling them?

This is something else;
in France it is forbidden to use multi-tone sound alarms on cars or trucks  like those that can be found in Italy with 5 or even 6 or 7 horns.
  Not forbidden to buy .... but forbidden to use ...

Same with long headlight bulbs;
not forbidden to buy bulbs of 100 W but forbidden to use them ...

Dura lex sed lex :tongue:

Ignore the horrific air pollution in Bangkok, CM and elsewhere. Do not do anything to address this horrendous health issue. Ignore the traffic safety issues, that are claiming thousands annually. And institute a no smoking ban, that is never enforced. Very intelligent policy, from a real forward thinking (good for nothing) administration. 

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

Yes remind all the smoking tourists not to come to Thailand for a holiday because if you smoke outside you will be fined and or arrested .

is the ban just for tourists because these morning Thais waiting for tourists were lighting one after another without stopping and the tourist police next to them (police was not smoking) their damn cigarettes smell worse than sh..

Also you will not be able to buy alcoholic beverages before 11 or from 2-5pm, even in Pizza huts. At these times you will be expected to be exercising or visiting our many wonderful temples and shopping malls. We have ways of making you enjoying yourselves. ????

It's a good thing to have the bans and a good thing that tourists are being warned. 

So many TVF members are in denial about this and mentioning air pollution is not relevant to the arguments about banning cigarette smoke. It's a diversion from those in denial. 

Rooster

3 hours ago, kelboy said:

Don't come to thailand because you can't smoke drink most of the  day and if that's not enough the hospitals shops restaurants and taxis will over charge you.I won't even talk about the beaches and the other hazards in Thailand because I don't have enough time. .. Right I'm off for a fag and a beer 555.

Although your post is tongue in cheek, it really is reality and hits the nail on the head

40,000 bht fine a farang tourist paid for having a E cigarette at Walking Street.

He was released from the holding cell after his payment. He then was in the headline 20:00 o clock news of his home country warning his country men not to visit anymore.. So his 40,000 bht fine payment created how much loss??

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Why not tell the tourist dont come to Chiang Mai because of smoke 

I think they are planning to promote it as a place where you can enjoy smoke everywhere and for free ???? 

1 minute ago, khunpa said:
7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Why not tell the tourist dont come to Chiang Mai because of smoke 

I think they are planning to promote it as a place where you can enjoy smoke everywhere and for free ???? 

Sounds like a plan.

I can imagine a p!ssed off group in Chiang Mai doing that to embarrass the government.

Two birds with one stone - highlight the smog problem and the entirely ineffective (cigarette) smoking ban outside.

Archived