F900XR

crisp

Can only second jackdd. Way too early to tell. BMW takes usually more than a year after showing a new bike in EU to bring it to Thailand. Look out for the Motor Show in March 2021. If lucky, Motor Expo end of 2020.

There is no updated S1000RR yet in Thailand for example.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Looks quite different to the bike about which OP asked

True but comparing the two, the Kawa gives you way more bang for your buck, looking much better in the process. The BMW F900XR will (if sold here) be hopelessly too expensive compared to another bike in the 900cc sports tourer class; Yamaha Tracer 900 GT.

image.png.a8bdbc9aa8d3d5a7f72a04f6aa13a944.png

Taking a look at the price diff between F850GS and F900XR in Germany (600 EUR) and looking at the local price in Thailand for the former (575k THB), I would assume the F900XR would come in at around 550k THB. The Tracer 900 goes for 480k THB. That's 70k THB difference. Quite a bit but then again not that it would scare someone off from the BMW if they want the badge, a big color TFT and whatever smaller differences there will be (blipper?). I personally would go with the Yamaha because of better reliability, comfort (the XR is short) servicing and parts costs. BMW since introducing the 300cc bikes is going too much into a cheap looks mode like that huge grey piece of plastic. It's just a personal preference but to me BMW should look like a premium bike if they ask premium prices. They have all features, now just sort out quality problems and improve the design a bit and they could be a major force. That being said I also think the F900XR will be a fun bike for Thailand.

1 hour ago, eisfeld said:

Taking a look at the price diff between F850GS and F900XR in Germany (600 EUR) and looking at the local price in Thailand for the former (575k THB), I would assume the F900XR would come in at around 550k THB. The Tracer 900 goes for 480k THB. That's 70k THB difference.

You forgot the new big bike tax in your calculation for the price. (the Tracer will of course be taxed as well, so the price difference will stay about the same)

I based my estimation on the price of the S1000XR in Thailand and in Germany, which results in a higher price than doing the calculation with the price of the F850GS. In the end it will of course also largely depend on the configuration of the Thai version.

13 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

1000cc is where the tax starts

Afaik the news which was here on Thaivisa is wrong, the tax is actually tied to certain co2 emission levels and not to cc, starting at 3% up to 18%.

Edit:

Here a news in Thai: https://news.thaipbs.or.th/content/285565

So actually these are the levels:

ก๊าซคาร์บอนไดออกไซด์ไม่เกิน 10 กรัมต่อกิโลเมตร (ก.ม.) คิดภาษี 1%
ปล่อยก๊าซคาร์บอนไดออกไซด์เกิน 10 กรัมต่อก.ม. แต่ไม่เกิน 50 กรัมต่อก.ม. คิดภาษี 3%
ปล่อยก๊าซคาร์บอนไดออกไซด์เกิน 50 กรัมต่อก.ม. แต่ไม่เกิน 90 กรัมต่อก.ม. คิดภาษี 5%
ปล่อยก๊าซคาร์บอนไดออกไซด์เกิน 90 กรัมต่อก.ม. แต่ไม่เกิน 130 กรัมต่อก.ม. คิดภาษี 9%
ปล่อยก๊าซคาร์บอนไดออกไซด์เกิน 130 กรัมต่อก.ม. คิดภาษี 18%

less than 10 gramm co2 per kilometer 1%, and so on...
should be possible to understand without understanding Thai

They also say that before this the tax was 2.5%, but i don't know if this means that all motorbikes were taxed at 2.5% for co2 emissions, or if bigger bikes were taxed higher already.
And they say something like: "because of the high emissions of 1000cc bikes, these bikes will be taxed at 18%", which might have confused some people and led to wrong news saying that the tax is tied to the cc of the bike.
I didn't check the co2 emissions of bikes yet, but it could be that bikes which have more than 1000cc but emitting less than 130g co2 exist, which means these bikes would be taxed less than 18%.

The F900XR, as well as the Tracer will probably be either in the 9% or the 18% bracket.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

You forgot the new big bike tax in your calculation for the price. (the Tracer will of course be taxed as well, so the price difference will stay about the same)

I based my estimation on the price of the S1000XR in Thailand and in Germany, which results in a higher price than doing the calculation with the price of the F850GS. In the end it will of course also largely depend on the configuration of the Thai version.

Yes I forgot to take into account the new tax regime but see below for why I think it doesn't really matter.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

I didn't check the co2 emissions of bikes yet, but it could be that bikes which have more than 1000cc but emitting less than 130g co2 exist, which means these bikes would be taxed less than 18%.

The F900XR, as well as the Tracer will probably be either in the 9% or the 18% bracket.

The F850GS is listed as having 99 g/km and the F900XR 98 g/km. The Tracer 900 comes in at 127 g/km. So assuming that's the same numbers that the Thai gov will use then all will fall into the 9% bracket.

Thanks for posting the Thai news article btw. That makes a lot more sense than the english version we got on TV. So the 100k for 1000cc bikes is just an example illustrating that many of these higher cc bikes can get a five figure price increase through the new tax regime. The reporting by most "journalists" is absolutely horrendous, misleading and promotes misinformation.

An F850GS used to be taxed at 8%. With the new tax regime it would be 9% so just a small increase.

The bikes that will see a massive increase in taxes are the 999cc performance bikes like S1000RR as they go from the <1000cc bracket of 8% to the >130 g/km bracket of 18%. The R1250GS and Multistrada 1260 actually would see a drop from 17% to 9% which would make it quite a lot cheaper (assuming BMW/Ducati pass on the savings...). A few months ago I did a bit of research and compared a few bikes regarding old vs new tax:

The gist of the new excise tax: many performance bikes close to but under 1000cc will get a 10% tax hike which can be around 100k. These bikes usually do very little kilometers as they are not exactly the most comfy or practical to commute or tour. For these bikes the new tax is purely a luxury tax and will have zero effect on real world emissions.

Archived