Getting an engine cleaned at a car wash.

giddyup

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to get the honda city's engine bay cleaned every 6 months or so - never had a problem.  Chiang Mai - used several different places.  They all seemed to know to cover the air filter - the wife always asked first.  Cheap too - the car was about 200 Baht (inside and outside) and the engine bay an extra 100 Baht.  Looked great too - they did a good job.  Same thing here in Aust would cost me about 2500 baht - which we do ourselves now.  Sure miss that. 

They usually know what they are doing, though a high power pressure washer may get into a few electrical connections. If you have it done, get home and lift the hood, get rid of any water.

I had my ol' Vigo engine compartment cleaned, when they had finished it would not start, the guy was scratching his head, so was I.

The only thing I could think of that may be affected by water was the performance chip. Luckily they supplied a "bridge" in case it failed. Took the chip off and installed the bridge. It started, got home lifted the hood to dry stuff out and took the cover off the chip, yep, water inside. Let it dry out, cleaned it, installed it, all OK...????

I have a full valet every time I get my lump cleaned. Every two three weeks. They do under car, engine, and all the engine bay + inside, seats carpets and every panel, the only thing they don't touch is the roof lining, that cost 200bht. Never had any problems.

My place also air pressures the engine bay so there's never any water left. Then to finish off they spray the engine bay with that shiny stuff? Looks like a new car after I get it done. N/B no engine or under is 150bht.

It depends. Some garages offer an engine clean but all they do is blow out the dust with an air line , wipe down the visible components with a damp rag then spray the engine with a wet look to make it look clean.

A proper engine wash takes a lot longer and more care is needed with electrical components being covered and battery disconnected or removed.

Best to ask exactly what they do during their engine wash. If done properly should be ok but if done without care could cause serious problems on a newer car.

47 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I have a full valet every time I get my lump cleaned. Every two three weeks. They do under car, engine, and all the engine bay + inside, seats carpets and every panel, the only thing they don't touch is the roof lining, that cost 200bht. Never had any problems.

My place also air pressures the engine bay so there's never any water left. Then to finish off they spray the engine bay with that shiny stuff? Looks like a new car after I get it done. N/B no engine or under is 150bht.

Does your family have dirty in ride habits...?

Do you live off road...?

Thais and their image. So the engine has to be cleaned, when actually they would do better to spend money keeping the inside of the engine clean by changing the oil and filter.

As for engine washing, cover the alternator with a plastic bag.

Electricity and water.... not a good mix!

3 hours ago, transam said:

Does your family have dirty in ride habits...?

Do you live off road...?

No to both. I always keep my cars clean regardless. So it's every three weeks max it gets a full valet. At 200bht a go why not. My last Tuna still looked like a new car when I sold it coming up to 9 years old. That way I got the top price.

10 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Thais and their image. So the engine has to be cleaned, when actually they would do better to spend money keeping the inside of the engine clean by changing the oil and filter.

As for engine washing, cover the alternator with a plastic bag.

Electricity and water.... not a good mix!

I have never had any problems with water getting into my electric bit's. That goes for all 3 cars I have had here. With the rain we get at times here I'm sure that most manufactures have got that sorted. So a high powered spay to clean the engine won't cause any harm. I have never found it so anyway. That's in my 18 years of owning a car in Thailand.

As for service I get my 10k one done at 5k intervals.    

Honda do mine each time I take it in for a service (every six months). I'd rather trust them than a jet wash crew. That said, I had my old car done by the boys at Shell and it was fine (160 baht for the engine IIRC). Never had a problem. It looks very nice afterwards as well. Go for it.

5 hours ago, transam said:

I can remember the days when if a big down pour, you worried about the engine conking out and getting home.....Not here though, and a long time ago....????

British cars in particular were renowned for it.

5 hours ago, kevinmartyn said:

I do it myself at car wash. Since you have not cleaned in 5 years really their is NO excuse for being heart LAZY!

This is Thailand, at what car wash do you wash anything yourself?

6 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Never WASH the Engine, except do you like to have elecrical problems! Use a dry Fabric to clean away dust and sand from the plasticcovers on the Block, Fusebox, Batterycover etc.

A lot of people here obviously disagree with you.

Please allow me to inform peeps. If you have the engine cleaned every time you have the car cleaned you will find it only needs a quick blast over to keep it like new. I have done just that from new never had a problem as it never gets dirty.

Couple of snaps of mine today that hasn't been touched for around 3 weeks so has a bit of dust on it. Not unexpected as I have done well over 1k km in that time.

IMGP0024.JPG

IMGP0005 (1).JPG

Archived