Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Getting an engine cleaned at a car wash.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It depends. Some garages offer an engine clean but all they do is blow out the dust with an air line , wipe down the visible components with a damp rag then spray the engine with a wet look to make it

Wont hurt electrical system. I have my engine cleaned at the dealer when I get service. Done all the time here in Thailand.

only smart reply here.    

Posted Images

For me - balance the look of a dusty engine bay to the possible damage of letting an 18 year old near my car with a 1500 PSI pressure washer...

No brainer really.

But for those form over substance folk - fly at it

Much more important to keep the inside of the engine clean

But But ... I have done it for years !!!

It works - until it doesn't

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, canthai55 said:

For me - balance the look of a dusty engine bay to the possible damage of letting an 18 year old near my car with a 1500 PSI pressure washer...

No brainer really.

But for those form over substance folk - fly at it

Much more important to keep the inside of the engine clean

But But ... I have done it for years !!!

It works - until it doesn't

Seems like you are referring to me. Can I just point out in the around 18 years I have been having my engine cleaned, every month if not more. (That equates to over well over 200 times) I have Never had a problem. Seems like a pretty good test. 

 

As I have tried to point out if you get it done regularly it only needs a light spray over to keep it clean. There will be of cause some peeps that cant see that. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Seems like you are referring to me. Can I just point out in the around 18 years I have been having my engine cleaned, every month if not more. (That equates to over well over 200 times) I have Never had a problem. Seems like a pretty good test. 

 

As I have tried to point out if you get it done regularly it only needs a light spray over to keep it clean. There will be of cause some peeps that cant see that. 

All cars/trucks are different, because your ride has no problems does not mean others will not. Plus, actual water pressure used by a cleaner may/will dictate to an extent whether there may or may not be a ploblem..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Once... & for only that one time...I had that same mindtwist about mixing water and the underbonnet populace??

 

That once only experiment; was to to use a toothbrush, & WD40 (no water) 

 

Boy did that engine bay smell clean!  ... or should I really say  'boy did it at least not smell of dirty engine oil' 

 Well the WD40 overcame all, with its own 'perfume' - especially after it heated up with the engine!! 

 p.s  I had gone overboard, in that I had dumbly WD40'd the manifold too 😨 

(Thought the engine was going to burn!!) At least there was no smoke... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My fun ride of over twenty years never saw water under the hood for cleaning, just a regular wipe with a rag. Though it never had any oil leaks or breathers chucking out rubbish. Why folk get a washer under the hood every couple of weeks seems a waste of time and money to me, plus the risk of water based problems.....Crazy....

 

Photo-048.jpg.bc075cda425c800e62a11ad23bc53ee8.jpg

Photo-0028.jpg.787dce2600d3569926fe2fec6edbab70.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, transam said:

All cars/trucks are different, because your ride has no problems does not mean others will not. Plus, actual water pressure used by a cleaner may/will dictate to an extent whether there may or may not be a ploblem..

Well I have had 3 different as you say Rides. Have also used several different valeting places and never ever had a problem. And that's in 18 years. Must tell you something???

 

As I have said before if you have it done on a regular basis it only needs a quick wash over with power spray to keep it like new.

 

Try looking under your Bonnet/Hood and see how much water is on/in your engine and engine bay when you go through one of the many rain storms we get here. You might be surprised. You might even deduce from that a spray will do little or nothing in comparison.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Try looking under your Bonnet/Hood and see how much water is on/in your engine and engine bay when you go through one of the many rain storms we get here. \ comparison.

Different thing ...

Splash from off the road versus 1500 PSI from a pressure washer

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Well I have had 3 different as you say Rides. Have also used several different valeting places and never ever had a problem. And that's in 18 years. Must tell you something???

 

As I have said before if you have it done on a regular basis it only needs a quick wash over with power spray to keep it like new.

 

Try looking under your Bonnet/Hood and see how much water is on/in your engine and engine bay when you go through one of the many rain storms we get here. You might be surprised. You might even deduce from that a spray will do little or nothing in comparison.

You don't seem to understand the difference between normal water presence and water under pressure, two totally different things...

In the old days we would use Jizer or Gunk to clean, then just hose off, not pressure hose off..

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

How did you measure the water pressure ?

You can buy pressure washers low to very high pressure. Home use ones are around 100/140psi. But industrial/professional use ones can go into the thousands of PSI, even adjustable PSI ones are out there...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, transam said:

You can buy pressure washers low to very high pressure. Home use ones are around 100/140psi. But industrial/professional use ones can go into the thousands of PSI, even adjustable PSI ones are out there...

Yes, I know.... Thats why Iam curious as to how canthai measured the pressure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, transam said:

You don't seem to understand the difference between normal water presence and water under pressure, two totally different things...

In the old days we would use Jizer or Gunk to clean, then just hose off, not pressure hose off..

That was the OLD days. Things have change a bit since then. I can remember having my Mini every time it rained the thing would come to a standstill. As it got water in the distributor.

 

Whilst I'm at it I did like your post it's crazy & a waste of time and monies (A whole 50 bht) cleaning under the Hood/Bonnet. .

 

Come on then how much time and monies did you spend every week polishing all the shiny bits on your fun ride. And you think I'm crazy.

 

For your information a car is for driving and getting you places not just  look at my shiny bits that I've got, that your fun ride did. Question did you ever go out in the rain with it. ???

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

How did you measure the water pressure ?

No way of knowing what pressure the different car washes use in their pressure washers.

My point - as you well know - is that a road splash if very different than water under pressure, sprayed from close range.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

No way of knowing what pressure the different car washes use in their pressure washers.

My point - as you well know - is that a road splash if very different than water under pressure, sprayed from close range.

 

your point is moot unless you can prove the pressure.

 

Pressure washers on the spray setting Ive seen the use when I get my car cleaned will not have enough pressure to do any damage, If water ingress into the vehicles electrics did happen well then same could happen when driving in rain or a flooded soi.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 hours ago, fredob43 said:

That was the OLD days. Things have change a bit since then. I can remember having my Mini every time it rained the thing would come to a standstill. As it got water in the distributor.

 

Whilst I'm at it I did like your post it's crazy & a waste of time and monies (A whole 50 bht) cleaning under the Hood/Bonnet. .

 

Come on then how much time and monies did you spend every week polishing all the shiny bits on your fun ride. And you think I'm crazy.

 

For your information a car is for driving and getting you places not just  look at my shiny bits that I've got, that your fun ride did. Question did you ever go out in the rain with it. ???

Early mini distributors had a rubber gaiter that covered the cap and gripped the wires so rain could not get in, yours was obviously missing...

Perhaps you can tell me how Mini Coopers won many a rally with your problem..?

My fun ride did go out in the rain, or I was caught out in the rain, your point is..?

My engine was always clean, as I said, a quick wipe with a rag and it was done. The only time I spent an hour on it was to bring back to life the shine on the intake and alternator..All done by myself, no paying someone.

So you pay 50bht for an engine clean, really.......🤔

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 12:20 PM, transam said:

They usually know what they are doing, though a high power pressure washer may get into a few electrical connections. If you have it done, get home and lift the hood, get rid of any water.

I had my ol' Vigo engine compartment cleaned, when they had finished it would not start, the guy was scratching his head, so was I.

The only thing I could think of that may be affected by water was the performance chip. Luckily they supplied a "bridge" in case it failed. Took the chip off and installed the bridge. It started, got home lifted the hood to dry stuff out and took the cover off the chip, yep, water inside. Let it dry out, cleaned it, installed it, all OK...🥳

You have a chip in a toyota vigo pick up truck?  what for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Don Mega said:

your point is moot unless you can prove the pressure.

 

Pressure washers on the spray setting Ive seen the use when I get my car cleaned will not have enough pressure to do any damage, If water ingress into the vehicles electrics did happen well then same could happen when driving in rain or a flooded soi.

But operators may not all have the same gray cells.....😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, transam said:

But operators may not all have the same gray cells.....😂

If the pressure cleaner is used with a spray wand it wont be an issue no matter how many grey cells the operator has.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

If the pressure cleaner is used with a spray wand it wont be an issue no matter how many grey cells the operator has.

OK, you carry on...🤣

 

I am off now for my 11am 2 minutes silence followed by a beer....😇

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, transam said:

 

Early mini distributors had a rubber gaiter that covered the cap and gripped the wires so rain could not get in, yours was obviously missing...

Perhaps you can tell me how Mini Coopers won many a rally with your problem..?

My fun ride did go out in the rain, or I was caught out in the rain, your point is..?

My engine was always clean, as I said, a quick wipe with a rag and it was done. The only time I spent an hour on it was to bring back to life the shine on the intake and alternator..All done by myself, no paying someone.

So you pay 50bht for an engine clean, really.......🤔

Yes really I pay 200bht for full valet including the engine cleaned and under the car +++. Or it's 150bht but they miss out the engine/under bit.  Takes 5 peeps around an hour to do on my lump.

 

Early Minis didn't have a cover over the distributor my 1964 didn't have, they fitted those on later models because of the water problem. Look it up.

 

Going to miss out the Rally thing, as they as you should know were a different kettle of fish to a standard Mini.

 

I have never in my life cleaned a car and I don't intend to start now. One of the staff used to clean it or I got it professionally done. During my Lotus days the technicians used to do it. Now the only thing I do is check oil, tyres, and battery, but when the latter goes T/ts up I shall get a sealed one. That's one of the reasons I like it clean. To much aggro checking things without getting all dirty whilst doing it.      

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fredob43 said:

 

 

I have never in my life cleaned a car and I don't intend to start now..... To much aggro checking things without getting all dirty whilst doing it.      

Sadly you have missed out in one of the joys of a sunday morning on a summers day....ooh well :wai:

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, petermik said:

Sadly you have missed out in one of the joys of a sunday morning on a summers day....ooh well :wai:

Sorry but I don't find any pleasure in cleaning cars. They are a means to get you from point A to point B. 

 

My Sundays/Weekends in the UK were normally down a race track testing or racing my Lotus.

 

As I said in my previous post it takes almost an hour for 5 peeps to valet my lump. So if you think I'm going to spend almost 5 hours to do it myself and not do as  good a job, just to save 200bht, and in this heat your living in a dream world. It's tiring enough just looking at Thais doing the job. 

Edited by fredob43
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry but I don't find any pleasure in cleaning cars. They are a means to get you from point A to point B. 

 

My Sundays/Weekends in the UK were normally down a race track testing or racing my Lotus.

 

As I said in my previous post it takes almost an hour for 5 peeps to valet my lump. So if you think I'm going to spend almost 5 hours to do it myself and not do as  good a job, just to save 200bht, and in this heat your living in a dream world. It's tiring enough just looking at Thais doing the job. 

Assuming that each person earns the minimum of 300 baht a day, that equals 1500 baht for 5 people, divided by 8 hours = 187.5 baht, plus water, detergent, polish, electricity and rent costs. Not much of a hourly profit for the car wash. In fact, I reckon they'd be losing big time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

 

As I said in my previous post it takes almost an hour for 5 peeps to valet my lump.

Either they are extremely slow and lazy or your lump is extremely large and caked with mud.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Yes really I pay 200bht for full valet including the engine cleaned and under the car +++. Or it's 150bht but they miss out the engine/under bit.  Takes 5 peeps around an hour to do on my lump.

 

Early Minis didn't have a cover over the distributor my 1964 didn't have, they fitted those on later models because of the water problem. Look it up.

 

Going to miss out the Rally thing, as they as you should know were a different kettle of fish to a standard Mini.

 

I have never in my life cleaned a car and I don't intend to start now. One of the staff used to clean it or I got it professionally done. During my Lotus days the technicians used to do it. Now the only thing I do is check oil, tyres, and battery, but when the latter goes T/ts up I shall get a sealed one. That's one of the reasons I like it clean. To much aggro checking things without getting all dirty whilst doing it.      

Just for you, 1959 Austin Mini, wait for the bit that shows the "covers" over the distributor and coil electrical connections...I had a 1959 Mini....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Either they are extremely slow and lazy or your lump is extremely large and caked with mud.

I didn't say mine was the only car they clean in 1 hour they work on several at one time. They have 2 ramps and as one comes off on goes another one. They then wash clean that before its taken inside to have the inside done and the outside and engine bay dried. They also have several peeps working on the Lot. I did take a note of how many peeps worked on my lump last time also time I was there. And as I have said it was around an hour with 5 working on it.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, transam said:

Just for you, 1959 Austin Mini, wait for the bit that shows the "covers" over the distributor and coil electrical connections...I had a 1959 Mini....

 

 

Don't believe that's a UK Mini, left hand drive. Mine had a cover on the hand brake and different dash. When I got mine from new in 1964 in London (Cost for that was 434 pounds 34p odd price so I remembered it) it didn't have one I had to get one fitted free a few weeks later as it kept cutting out when it rained. I believe it was fitted and updated as standard in the UK a year later.

Oh I didn't have one on the coil either.

 

Not that it mattered to much as I bug/ered the thing 8 weeks later by hitting a large tree, after running out of road in Epping Forrest UK.

 

Very young boys and their toys.

Edited by fredob43
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...