Jump to content
BANGKOK
giddyup

Getting an engine cleaned at a car wash.

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Totally useless and even idiot to do it.

 

 

A bit like your comment.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me - balance the look of a dusty engine bay to the possible damage of letting an 18 year old near my car with a 1500 PSI pressure washer...

No brainer really.

But for those form over substance folk - fly at it

Much more important to keep the inside of the engine clean

But But ... I have done it for years !!!

It works - until it doesn't

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, canthai55 said:

For me - balance the look of a dusty engine bay to the possible damage of letting an 18 year old near my car with a 1500 PSI pressure washer...

No brainer really.

But for those form over substance folk - fly at it

Much more important to keep the inside of the engine clean

But But ... I have done it for years !!!

It works - until it doesn't

Seems like you are referring to me. Can I just point out in the around 18 years I have been having my engine cleaned, every month if not more. (That equates to over well over 200 times) I have Never had a problem. Seems like a pretty good test. 

 

As I have tried to point out if you get it done regularly it only needs a light spray over to keep it clean. There will be of cause some peeps that cant see that. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Seems like you are referring to me. Can I just point out in the around 18 years I have been having my engine cleaned, every month if not more. (That equates to over well over 200 times) I have Never had a problem. Seems like a pretty good test. 

 

As I have tried to point out if you get it done regularly it only needs a light spray over to keep it clean. There will be of cause some peeps that cant see that. 

All cars/trucks are different, because your ride has no problems does not mean others will not. Plus, actual water pressure used by a cleaner may/will dictate to an extent whether there may or may not be a ploblem..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Seems like you are referring to me.

No -  all posters advocating doing this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once... & for only that one time...I had that same mindtwist about mixing water and the underbonnet populace??

 

That once only experiment; was to to use a toothbrush, & WD40 (no water) 

 

Boy did that engine bay smell clean!  ... or should I really say  'boy did it at least not smell of dirty engine oil' 

 Well the WD40 overcame all, with its own 'perfume' - especially after it heated up with the engine!! 

 p.s  I had gone overboard, in that I had dumbly WD40'd the manifold too 😨 

(Thought the engine was going to burn!!) At least there was no smoke... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fun ride of over twenty years never saw water under the hood for cleaning, just a regular wipe with a rag. Though it never had any oil leaks or breathers chucking out rubbish. Why folk get a washer under the hood every couple of weeks seems a waste of time and money to me, plus the risk of water based problems.....Crazy....

 

Photo-048.jpg.bc075cda425c800e62a11ad23bc53ee8.jpg

Photo-0028.jpg.787dce2600d3569926fe2fec6edbab70.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, transam said:

All cars/trucks are different, because your ride has no problems does not mean others will not. Plus, actual water pressure used by a cleaner may/will dictate to an extent whether there may or may not be a ploblem..

Well I have had 3 different as you say Rides. Have also used several different valeting places and never ever had a problem. And that's in 18 years. Must tell you something???

 

As I have said before if you have it done on a regular basis it only needs a quick wash over with power spray to keep it like new.

 

Try looking under your Bonnet/Hood and see how much water is on/in your engine and engine bay when you go through one of the many rain storms we get here. You might be surprised. You might even deduce from that a spray will do little or nothing in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Try looking under your Bonnet/Hood and see how much water is on/in your engine and engine bay when you go through one of the many rain storms we get here. \ comparison.

Different thing ...

Splash from off the road versus 1500 PSI from a pressure washer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Well I have had 3 different as you say Rides. Have also used several different valeting places and never ever had a problem. And that's in 18 years. Must tell you something???

 

As I have said before if you have it done on a regular basis it only needs a quick wash over with power spray to keep it like new.

 

Try looking under your Bonnet/Hood and see how much water is on/in your engine and engine bay when you go through one of the many rain storms we get here. You might be surprised. You might even deduce from that a spray will do little or nothing in comparison.

You don't seem to understand the difference between normal water presence and water under pressure, two totally different things...

In the old days we would use Jizer or Gunk to clean, then just hose off, not pressure hose off..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Different thing ...

Splash from off the road versus 1500 PSI from a pressure washer

How did you measure the water pressure ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

How did you measure the water pressure ?

You can buy pressure washers low to very high pressure. Home use ones are around 100/140psi. But industrial/professional use ones can go into the thousands of PSI, even adjustable PSI ones are out there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, transam said:

You can buy pressure washers low to very high pressure. Home use ones are around 100/140psi. But industrial/professional use ones can go into the thousands of PSI, even adjustable PSI ones are out there...

Yes, I know.... Thats why Iam curious as to how canthai measured the pressure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, transam said:

You don't seem to understand the difference between normal water presence and water under pressure, two totally different things...

In the old days we would use Jizer or Gunk to clean, then just hose off, not pressure hose off..

That was the OLD days. Things have change a bit since then. I can remember having my Mini every time it rained the thing would come to a standstill. As it got water in the distributor.

 

Whilst I'm at it I did like your post it's crazy & a waste of time and monies (A whole 50 bht) cleaning under the Hood/Bonnet. .

 

Come on then how much time and monies did you spend every week polishing all the shiny bits on your fun ride. And you think I'm crazy.

 

For your information a car is for driving and getting you places not just  look at my shiny bits that I've got, that your fun ride did. Question did you ever go out in the rain with it. ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

How did you measure the water pressure ?

No way of knowing what pressure the different car washes use in their pressure washers.

My point - as you well know - is that a road splash if very different than water under pressure, sprayed from close range.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...