Russian tourist dies after pulled from surf at Karon Beach

webfact

Russian tourist dies after pulled from surf at Karon Beach

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1573100200_1-org.jpg

Tourists at Karon Beach render assistance to Mr Oshkin before rescue workers arrive. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A 55-year-old Russian man died after being pulled from the surf unconscious and unresponsive at Karon Beach late yesterday afternoon (Nov 6).

Maj Niwet Sankaeo of the Karon Police was notified of the incident at 5pm.

Witnesses told police that the man, identified as Sergei Oshkin from Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, a city on Sakhalin island in Russia's Far East, was seen struggling in the water after he was dragged away from the southern end of the beach, noted a report by Tourist Police stationed at the newly opened “service center” at Karon Beach

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-tourist-dies-after-pulled-from-surf-at-karon-beach-73541.php#Sd58CSv7Vv3hdWoR.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-11-07

3 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.... I had a swim at Karon Beach and survived. Sadly many other people don't. Maybe they should advertise that this is a dangerous beach, but TIT.

They do... well, they have the red flags out warning people not to swim if the conditions are bad.  Problem on that beach is the rip tides, and when there are big powerful waves, as the water gets deep quickly.  I swim there too... because I like the waves, but I would no go in if conditions were too rough, or the red flags were out.

5 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

They do... well, they have the red flags out warning people not to swim if the conditions are bad.  Problem on that beach is the rip tides, and when there are big powerful waves, as the water gets deep quickly.  I swim there too... because I like the waves, but I would no go in if conditions were too rough, or the red flags were out.

I grew up going to the beaches in OZ. Are the waves really so big here?

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

actually the waves at karon can get as big as many in australia or california during the rainy season and it does have a lot of undertows.  i have swam in in it but i am an experienced swimmer.

12 minutes ago, madmen said:

generally no, but sometimes yes. the problem is many people dont know what to do if caught in a rip tide - to be honest i only know because my sister was married to an aussie.

20 minutes ago, madmen said:

It is not the waves. It is how quickly it gets deep. A few of the beaches in phuket can go from ankle depth, to cant stand up within 3 metres. Factor in dumping waves and someone from a country that doesnt swim too often and it is an accident waiting to happen.

We dont often get those conditions in Oz

23 minutes ago, samsensam said:

generally no, but sometimes yes. the problem is many people dont know what to do if caught in a rip tide - to be honest i only know because my sister was married to an aussie.

Wouldn,t it be a great idea to pass on this knowledge you obtained from your sister, unknown to many people ? Like...Don,t try and swim against it but swim across until you get out of the current and can head for the beach ????

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Probably not as big at yours in OZ, but still not recommended for swimming to the average tourist.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhSJ3ZIVtNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCO6NMvl40

And, the waves can be much bigger then in these videos, as I have see personally.  

learnt something new, That looks pretty rough for Asians or anyone not a swimmer

Rip tide at Karon. I once took a swim there 20 years ago and it took me 30 minutes to get back in. The water looks very inviting with nothing going on, but oh you are so wrong if you think that. I would never go in again there during the red flag times. Been there, done that!

18 hours ago, jany123 said:

Keeping tourists safe... good One Thailand... no mention of lifeguards... great advertising.... clowns

What to you want them to do?  Close off the beach with fencing and have 24 hours security to stop anybody going in the sea?

There are red no swimming flags, massive signs warning of rip tides and the dangers of swimming there, yet some idiots still go in.  How is Thailand's fault?

As an adult... and supposedly form a more educated and intelligent country (according to many posters on TV), the tourists must take some personal responsibility for their own safety and use their common sense and brain.  

What to you want them to do?  Close off the beach with fencing and have 24 hours security to stop anybody going in the sea?

There are red no swimming flags, massive signs warning of rip tides and the dangers of swimming there, yet some idiots still go in.  How is Thailand's fault?

What do I want of officials in a municipality that promotes itself as a beach, sun and sea destination? Lifeguards.... but not just people dressed up as lifeguards. I want those lifeguards to be fully trained to international standards... and I don’t think that that is much of an ask.

Thailand is at fault. The fault, very specifically, is negligence. Thailand should put some of those tourists dollars back into the tourist market, whilst there is still a tourist market to protect.

As an adult... and supposedly form a more educated and intelligent country (according to many posters on TV), the tourists must take some personal responsibility for their own safety and use their common sense and brain.  

The second part of your post is a doozy. This says more about you than about the deceased. Quick question. Who would know more about local sea conditions. A/ a trained local lifeguards .... or B/ a newly arrived tourist?

goodness me.... maybe every tourist should be issued a concealed weapon to better protect themselves from machete and gun toting taxi drivers... you know, to take on that personal responsibility for their own safety, that you seem to think should be required of them.

Archived