Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Russian tourist dies after pulled from surf at Karon Beach

Recommended Posts

Russian tourist dies after pulled from surf at Karon Beach

By Eakkapop Thongtub

 

1573100200_1-org.jpg

Tourists at Karon Beach render assistance to Mr Oshkin before rescue workers arrive. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

 

PHUKET: A 55-year-old Russian man died after being pulled from the surf unconscious and unresponsive at Karon Beach late yesterday afternoon (Nov 6).

 

Maj Niwet Sankaeo of the Karon Police was notified of the incident at 5pm.

 

Witnesses told police that the man, identified as Sergei Oshkin from Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, a city on Sakhalin island in Russia's Far East, was seen struggling in the water after he was dragged away from the southern end of the beach, noted a report by Tourist Police stationed at the newly opened “service center” at Karon Beach


Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-tourist-dies-after-pulled-from-surf-at-karon-beach-73541.php#Sd58CSv7Vv3hdWoR.99 

 

 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-11-07

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm.... I had a swim at Karon Beach and survived. Sadly many other people don't. Maybe they should advertise that this is a dangerous beach, but TIT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.... I had a swim at Karon Beach and survived. Sadly many other people don't. Maybe they should advertise that this is a dangerous beach, but TIT.

They do... well, they have the red flags out warning people not to swim if the conditions are bad.  Problem on that beach is the rip tides, and when there are big powerful waves, as the water gets deep quickly.  I swim there too... because I like the waves, but I would no go in if conditions were too rough, or the red flags were out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

They do... well, they have the red flags out warning people not to swim if the conditions are bad.  Problem on that beach is the rip tides, and when there are big powerful waves, as the water gets deep quickly.  I swim there too... because I like the waves, but I would no go in if conditions were too rough, or the red flags were out.

I grew up going to the beaches in OZ. Are the waves really so big here?

Edited by madmen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, madmen said:

I grew up going to the beaches in OZ. Are the waves really so big here?

actually the waves at karon can get as big as many in australia or california during the rainy season and it does have a lot of undertows.  i have swam in in it but i am an experienced swimmer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not as big at yours in OZ, but still not recommended for swimming to the average tourist.  

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhSJ3ZIVtNI

 

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCO6NMvl40

 

And, the waves can be much bigger then in these videos, as I have see personally.  

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, madmen said:

I grew up going to the beaches in OZ. Are the waves really so big here?

Rip currents are usually what do it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, madmen said:

I grew up going to the beaches in OZ. Are the waves really so big here?

 

generally no, but sometimes yes. the problem is many people dont know what to do if caught in a rip tide - to be honest i only know because my sister was married to an aussie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, madmen said:

I grew up going to the beaches in OZ. Are the waves really so big here?

It is not the waves. It is how quickly it gets deep. A few of the beaches in phuket can go from ankle depth, to cant stand up within 3 metres. Factor in dumping waves and someone from a country that doesnt swim too often and it is an accident waiting to happen.

 

We dont often get those conditions in Oz

 

Edited by dreaming
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, samsensam said:

 

generally no, but sometimes yes. the problem is many people dont know what to do if caught in a rip tide - to be honest i only know because my sister was married to an aussie.

Wouldn,t it be a great idea to pass on this knowledge you obtained from your sister, unknown to many people ? Like...Don,t try and swim against it but swim across until you get out of the current and can head for the beach 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only place I've ever been caught in a rip is in Phuket, Nai Harn beach. Caught me by surprise, I swam out of it a little scary though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Probably not as big at yours in OZ, but still not recommended for swimming to the average tourist.  

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhSJ3ZIVtNI

 

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djCO6NMvl40

 

And, the waves can be much bigger then in these videos, as I have see personally.  

learnt something new, That looks pretty rough for Asians or anyone not a swimmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rip tide at Karon. I once took a swim there 20 years ago and it took me 30 minutes to get back in. The water looks very inviting with nothing going on, but oh you are so wrong if you think that. I would never go in again there during the red flag times. Been there, done that!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping tourists safe... good One Thailand... no mention of lifeguards... great advertising.... clowns

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jany123 said:

Keeping tourists safe... good One Thailand... no mention of lifeguards... great advertising.... clowns

What to you want them to do?  Close off the beach with fencing and have 24 hours security to stop anybody going in the sea?

 

There are red no swimming flags, massive signs warning of rip tides and the dangers of swimming there, yet some idiots still go in.  How is Thailand's fault?

 

As an adult... and supposedly form a more educated and intelligent country (according to many posters on TV), the tourists must take some personal responsibility for their own safety and use their common sense and brain.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...