Is water from pipes safe for brushing teeth?

parafareno

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone suggesting "its  fine"  is  plain nuts especially in Thailand, get a  sample and get it tested then youll have a REAL answer . I did this with my well water. It came back fine.  The  village "pipe water" contains shells/snails and other crapp god  only knows what else is in it

11 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

Been doing it for years without an issue. Same goes for eating food. You're fine.

Same for me 10 years …., reminds me the "look" my that time GF gave me when I let her cook with 7/11 bottle water (as I came as a newbie …) and later I realized how stupid I acted as over cautious farang

Don't drink it I would still say , but cooking or pasting safe enough , you can always use Listerine after if you doubt still ...

I'm doing that for 17 years now and I'm always trying not to get some of it into my digestive system.

Many restaurants use vegetables that are washed with ordinary water and one way the other, you'll build up your immune system in a way that you can eat and drink almost all. 

Just don't think about what could be inside and you're fine. 

5 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Anyone suggesting "its  fine"  is  plain nuts especially in Thailand, get a  sample and get it tested then youll have a REAL answer . I did this with my well water. It came back fine.  The  village "pipe water" contains shells/snails and other crapp god  only knows what else is in it

absolutely correct.  Not all piped water is the same quality, so you need to know where it is coming from and how filtered it is.  My own house water supply  has 3 different and complementary filters in the line from source to my taps, so I am comfortable using it for showering and teeth cleaning.  It is drinkable, although it can have a slight tinge to the flavour on occasions, so we use bottled water for drinking and cooking.  

28 minutes ago, parafareno said:

guys whatis with water in pipes....is it safe to brush teeth at least? or not?

and do restaurants use filtered water for cooking?

1: Yes, if it's looks clear.

2: No, but it'll be boiled during cooking.

Just now, Vacuum said:

1: Yes, if it's looks clear.

2: No, but it'll be boiled during cooking.

Looks have nothing so do with the quality and safety of the water.  Adequate filtration is necessary, regardless of how clear it may appear. Same with pools.  They can look clear and clean when they are not safe to swim in.  

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Looks have nothing so do with the quality and safety of the water.  Adequate filtration is necessary, regardless of how clear it may appear. Same with pools.  They can look clear and clean when they are not safe to swim in.  

Yeah but you can see a crocodile......sometimes????

7 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Correct because as everyone knows its very easy to see harmful bacteria..................duh! 

You should not drink it, just rinse your mouth with it to get rid of the unknown chemicals they put in the toothpaste.

46 minutes ago, Chazar said:

A few years ago my tap water was having a kind of gasoline aroma for a few days.

No cholera and not even leptospirosis though, as far as i can guess.:smile:

As this is posted in Bangkok will speak to city water, which has been safe to drink and meeting international standards for at least 40 years and is currently one of the only locations providing real time internet access to conditions at various locations.

http://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

In the past there were concerns of contamination during the delivery process so most people have continued to filter drinking water, and that does improve the taste, if nothing else.  About 30 years ago there was a major upgrade for delivery pipes and pressure so almost all areas should be safe if using city provided water and they do not have their own issues (dirty holding tanks or such).  

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Our local  supply  "looks" very clean. But put through a filter soon shows the truth!

Clarity is part of the equation, but not a guarantee.  For muni water in bkk or cm, it is OK for bushing and showering, but the problems might be in the pipes, or even the cement holding the pipes together.  Wouldn't brush with the tap in most of mexico.  Oh, and the ice is safe, but you'll simply look like an idiot if it is in your beer. 

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

As this is posted in Bangkok will speak to city water, which has been safe to drink and meeting international standards for at least 40 years and is currently one of the only locations providing real time internet access to conditions at various locations.

http://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

In the past there were concerns of contamination during the delivery process so most people have continued to filter drinking water, and that does improve the taste, if nothing else.  About 30 years ago there was a major upgrade for delivery pipes and pressure so almost all areas should be safe if using city provided water and they do not have their own issues (dirty holding tanks or such).  

Agreed. In Bangkok tap water has been safe to drink for decades.

Outside of Bangkok,  mostly not.

2 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

I thought the purpose of filter taps was to remove the metals that could be in the water from ancient pipes -- are you saying that I can drink the unfiltered tap water that stains my kitchen surfaces dusty white after being evaporated?!

That's hard water. Usually not a problem but hard to tell without analysis. I would never drink tap water anywhere in the world unless it's from a well that has been analyzed. It's not like bottled or filtered water is expensive compared to health complications. 

16 hours ago, Pilotman said:

absolutely correct.  Not all piped water is the same quality, so you need to know where it is coming from and how filtered it is.  My own house water supply  has 3 different and complementary filters in the line from source to my taps, so I am comfortable using it for showering and teeth cleaning.  It is drinkable, although it can have a slight tinge to the flavour on occasions, so we use bottled water for drinking and cooking.  

I had an open wound and the Doctor was adamant not get it wet as the town water contained Bad Bacteria.

I have lived here for 25 years. There is no problem with the mains water in Bangkok and the quality has improved over the years. The water is better to drink than R.O. bottled water. No problems cleaning your teeth with it or drinking it. If you are worried you can boil the water in a kettle and let it cool then put it in the fridge or you can install a wall mounted filter unit with ultrafiltration for your drinking water and cleaning your teeth. 

17 hours ago, TooPoopedToPop said:

Always use bottled water for brushing your teeth.

And beware the ubiquitous bum-guns... germs and microbes can enter your body through your rectum just as easily as through your mouth.

Don't know about you, but I don't drink through my <deleted>.  However, according to those who know me, I sometimes talk out of it.  

Archived